Photos have finally arrived!

blueanalyst

Thanks to all those who sent out their greetings and warm welcome to my wife Lisa and I. I noted that several of you wanted to see photos asap especially Mike who appears to have an SS Monte very much like it. So thanks to Rob and his crew for their help in making that happen. You can see the photos I posted in the Members Monte section at the bottom of the 1970 section. I'll post more from the car shows I will be attending this fall. Thanks again for the warm welcome and enjoy the pics!

John

• 1 month later...

Nice air cleaner. I did the same duel snorkel on my Black 71 Monte. Looks so correct because of the room'y engine compartment.

Nice air cleaner. I did the same duel snorkel on my Black 71 Monte. Looks so correct because of the room'y engine compartment.

Where did you get your dual snorkel air cleaner, Carl? I'd love to get one for my SS car since it came to me with a 350 air cleaner on it (single snorkle with small round opening). Thanks!

1970 Camaro. Most all vendors sell them. Chrome top or Black. I needed a spacer for the top of the carb to air cleaner. I have a Carter 4BBL. I would have to check what the height measurement I used. Also you need a 1967-69 Camaro crankcase vent hose SB-12 from www.rickscamaros.com you can buy the Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner from www.nationalpartsdepot.com C-3402-4A fits 70-72 Z/28 Camaro. NPD is a real good vendor. They mostly sell the better parts and not so much junk. Make sure to check their web site out and request their catalogs. I just checked their Camaro catalog and they might have the crankcase hose, C-1762-4, no picture so I'm not really sure. Let me know if you have questions. Carl

Many thanks for the detailed reply, Carl! That's what makes this club so valuable!

I found some reproduction ones on eBay but, as your reply has shown, there's more to it than meets the eye. I'll check it out.

Dennis I saw a lot of dual snorkel air cleaners on ebay the other day. From what I saw you can get that style off of a Vette as well. I'm partial to the dual snorkel air cleaner as my Monte had one before the cowl induction hood went on. I know the one I have is made for a q-jet as it did not like the Holley's it sit on top of as it needed a spacer to clear the fuel bowl adjustment screws.

And that is a nice SS Monte by the way.

Thanks for your feedback, Robert.

Looks like I owe John an apology for hijacking his thread, although I didn't mean to. I distinctly remember writing a reply to John's original post and asking him where he got his dual snorkel air cleaner, but I can't find it on the thread so I must have screwed it up. Sorry, John.

Since I'm already in violation... I hear you on the carb fitment issue, Robert. My 454 is completely stock so the dual snorkel unit should work fine on its Quadrajet. My 402 car has an Edlebrock Torker II manifold and 1806 Thunder carb that sits so high I can only squeeze a 2" thick aftermarket air cleaner under the hood pad because it also requires a 1/2" spacer ring.

Thanks for your comment on my SS car. It had a nice external appearance when I bought it (not show quality but decent), but there were lots of hidden issues. I now have enough of them fixed (and some others scheduled over the next two weeks) that I am really beginning to enjoy driving it around town. I am waiting for cooler weather this fall to rebuild the front suspension.

My wife really enjoys cruising Douglas Ave in it (as we occasionally did in our VWs 44 years ago when we were dating here). Last night she told me I should keep this SS car if I decided to sell one (although she fortunately has no problem with me having both Montes right now). We'll see about that later.

Hey Dennis, the only reason I have the spacer on is because of the a/c hose. Did I mention I have a SB engine? Also the air cleaner I have is made by Classic Headquarters. They are approved by GM if that makes any difference. The air cleaner is really nice. Do it and you will love the look. Gm should have offered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis, no need for me to reiterate what all the terrific guys from this website that responded to your question have already said. Long story short, they came on the 1970 Camaro and they aren't hard to find. Mine sits on top of a 750 Holley. Good luck with your search and if you hear of any other 1970 Monte burlwood dash covers looking for a new home, let me know. I just posted a request for a photo of the radio shaft hole in an uncut 70 Monte dash and dash cover this morning in the interior section. Trying to determine whether I have to have a whole new dash or if I can just get by with a dash cover. Talk later,

John