For your entertainment.

meddac

Here's a good one on ebay 1970 SS

I wrote this to him on eBay:

Dear kayla.24,

Not to be hard on your car but I don't think your car is a SS and unless you have the build sheet probably shouldn't be sold as such. I own a 71 SS and a good start to verify a true SS would be to go to the FGMCC.com website on how to verify one. First the VIN is useless. ALL SS's came with a 454 and an air compressor on the driver side inner fender to run the automatic load leveling system and had air shocks and shock protectors. They all had a LS5 454. All had the Z20 option on the build sheet which quite frankly is really the only true way to verify one. Quoting how much the car is worth is useless unless you have the documentation to back it up. They are rare with only 3823 made in 1970 and 1919 in 1971. Good luck wtht the sale. I good condition SS brings about 13-19K now with the present economy.

His reply:

Please read the description! If you are a buyer then ask a question. If you are simply contacting me to dispute if it's a true SS then stop bothering me! That is for a buyer to inspect and verify. The listing says right on it the engine is new and the vehicle has been modified, no claims to being original!! Please stop bothering me with this nonsense!

- kayla.24

He must be getting flamed royally and rightfully so since he at least wrote some disclaimers on the bottom of the ad now LOL

I clicked on the ebay link and noticed the car was originaly from Anchorage, as am I. There is a slight chance I know this car. It is a long shot but there are not usualy too many cars shipped in to Alaska, it costs more to ship anything in since Alaska doesn't export much. Just a lot of fish and ummm oh yeah OIL lol. So space coming in is more expensive than space going out. If it is the car I know then it is definatly not an SS. But it is originaly a big block car.

What would be ironic is that was one of the cars that got me wanting a Monte, the first being PHR's "Econo-Performer". When I first saw it, it had a hot for the time 396 (about 425 horsepower) turbo 400 with a 3500 stall torque converter and 4.88 gears in the 12 bolt posi. This was in 1979 and we were all blown away.That car inspired about 8 other similar builds. Mine being one but only a lowly 350 lol. It was triple green with the body being the dark green. The last time I saw the car someone had put a Whipple supercharger on it and painted it black this was in 1981. The car was a local celebrity and everytime it changed hands it brought a premium price because it was "that car". So if it is the same car (I know it's slim) then it would eplain the attitude of the seller. That's what happens when a big fish from a small pond is dropped in to Lake Superior lol. Sorry if I bored you all with my suppositions but it brought back a slew of memories. David

LOL...let's just say they threw out the F bomb on the last reply to me. Guess someone is would a little tight. I'm pretty sure that color scheme and wheel pattern is not going to appeal to too many folks out there...It's certainly not ringing my bell.

Rubber Floor Boards Sprayed on? shock

No Carpet what the.. it kinda makes the floor look somewhat dingy. A better choice in exterior color might of made for a better looking interior. The white, the green and wheels kill that car. Someone is color blind. lol Although the chick in the collage is pretty hot, that explains the chick looking Monte. grin

$(KGrHqQOKpUE6T2s6Sl4BOl0ie59(!~~60_3.JP

Well I just looked at the collage and I saw that the cars top was supposed to be white and original. So it is probably not the one I knew. Which is a good thing. But I still feel bad for this car lol. David

Originally Posted By: 70mcarlo
Car's been in a minor accident - the front bumper is bent inward - impact probably caused the grill damage noted in the description.

I thought that was standard on an SS....

kicking davey, davey, davey, I love it!!!! kicking

I have to say, WOW.....that is some........half truths they tell in that ad. Ignorance is bliss. Show the body plate? where was it made? See if it has the build date? or the built sheet? No numbers (off the rear end, etc) are offered. Vin tells you it is a MC and plant built in. And a few other things on closer inspection. As stated rubber? instead of carpet? Also the centre console looks like it's black not green like the interior? Also funny it would not have the SS gauges (I know could be had without but with the centre console just seems strange?). But the biggest thing is CUSTOM paint!!!! Oh yeah....we put on a new hood, and front headlight area and same on the trunk and the tail light housings. Oh no it was PLANNED that way..YEAH RIGHT!!! We use to laugh at guys who'd do these things and drive them down the street for years like this. Custom painted that green maybe in the past and then opps we had issues with those other parts..well we will just replace these and make it look like we planned it that way!!!

I love the latest disclaimers about REAL buyers....if they can't stand the scrutiny shouldn't try selling it in E BAY!!!

Her fiancee too so has a way out to say oh it's what I was told!!!!

I think all our cars just went up in value.....LMAO...

OMG!! I'm surprised it has been bid up to $4,000. That is the worst paint scheme/color/rims/engine/etc/etc I have seen in a long time. Guy seems like a real jerk also. Good luck selling that gem!!!

I have a feeling it will be in the family for another 8 years unless they plan on giving it to the salvation army or getting out a spray paint can grin

I don't have a problem with someone selling or listing a car as a Super Sport or SS at all as long as you are honest about the description. I would like to know if the car had a small block when they bought it, that would be a good indication what it was originally.

I kinda take an "SS" listing with a grain of sand and just looks at a car for what it is, or not. And that two tone is not in my taste.

Rubber Floor Boards Sprayed on? shock

No Carpet what the.. it kinda makes the floor look somewhat dingy. A better choice in exterior color might of made for a better looking interior. The white, the green and wheels kill that car. Someone is color blind. lol Although the chick in the collage is pretty hot, that explains the chick looking Monte. grin

$(KGrHqQOKpUE6T2s6Sl4BOl0ie59(!~~60_3.JP

LOL you got me to look at the collage.....yep she's hot.

I kept getting the reflection of her on the rims.. grin And eureka there she was, right in front of me in the collage. wink Sick!! & yes I would.. kicking

Originally Posted By: Phil

I kept getting the reflection of her on the rims.. grin And eureka there she was, right in front of me in the collage. wink Sick!! & yes I would.. kicking

would? would what Rod???? make an offer?

If it was an Oshawa built car, all he would need to do is write G.M. H.O. in Oshawa and get the option printout package for that specific VIN number. Also, an Oshawa built car has the Z20 code stamped on the VIN plate on the driver's side under the hood up by the windshield....not sure if the Flint builds have it in the same place. I'm sure all of you know this stuff already but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Also, I know 100% that my 71 is a true SS because I have the benefit of my Uncle buying the car new so regarding the guage package, I know 100% that it was an option for 71 including on the SS as mine doesn't have it. Mine has power windows, power locks, buckets, air con, power trunk, remote driver's mirror and yes, I have the load leveling equipment still but it isn't on the car presently. The load leveling compressor and shocks were extremely problematic in their day. I remember my Uncle cursing that system often but if I remember correctly, most of the problems were with the hoses. Is there a fix for them that makes them more reliable? If not, I'll leave mine in the box at least for now.

I had a conversation with my Dad last weekend. He is 82 years old and worked on the line in Oshawa and then the stamping plant in Oshawa for a total of 32 years. He remembers that in 1971 he was working on the line in Oshawa in the chassis plant and the 71 Monte rolled down the line in front of him every day. I thought that was pretty neat.