air cleaner

abe72

Hello, this might sound like a dumb question, but I have noticed on a few photos that the air cleaner lid is flipped upside down exposing the air filter.

What is the reason for doing this?

Just curious. Thanks.

Simple trick to expose more filter so it can suck more air...otherwise it has to suck it through the small inlet.

I always like to tell people imagine breathing through a straw...now imagine running as fast as you can and still try and breath through that same straw... grin

..gotta love how a 4 barrel sounds..man!!!

I remember doing it on my Slant6 Duster back in high school, its not just for 4 barrells lol

That poor car rusted away completely,upper shock mounts were the final straw, the shocks rusted off, and were dragging on the ground,one of them punctured the gas tank eek I remember patching the tank, and driving it for about 1 1/2 months with just rear springs, finally drove it to the junkyard one day and left it there for a a/c heater box off a 71 Chevelle for my other rusted out car at the time, I think I got the better end of that deal, although Ill bet the motor is still running somewhere out there grin

When I bought mine I drove it home down the highway all the way home (407 for those who know). When I got it home before I bought a chrome breather for it. I took off the lid to check the air filter. Flipped it and drove it around town and punched it just to hear em...oh the joy...tee hee hee...made me feel like I was 17 agian...hey that trick has been around longer then these cars have been on the road. I remember seeing some hopped up 50's cars doing the SAME thing....that was the start of HOT RODDING and ya made do with what ya had to get some more oomph outta it!!!!!

I've now put the chrome breather on mine, but I'll keep the stock one...maybe for a car show I'll put it on and flip it just to see how many look at it and point and ask questions and then the older guys who will look and nod knowingly.

Scott

Hmmmm. Might just have to give a try and see if I can hear it over my duel packs. Or if the sound goes well with the car (looks).

I like the idea of being able to switch back and forth to the stock version for shows and such...

Yeah there is something about the Q-Jet sound...the only thing my car is missing, I will be rebuilding one this winter and getting it on the car first thing in the spring. The car has a edelbrock square bore and I don't like it...I am hoping to call Cliff Ruggles and ordering his kit and any extras he recommends. I shipped him an email on sunday figuring smoeone would answer my prilim questions on monday, but no Cliff himself answered my email about 2 hours after I sent it on sunday. Now that is the kind of service I like to see. Once the Q-Jet is on I will be flipping the cover over just to have fun with those large secondaries opening...I'm with ya there VE, the sound makes me giggle...

I remember when I got my 72 it was one of the first things I did to it. I did it for the sound but I found out if I drove normaly-well as normal as 17 year old can lol-I picked up about a mile to a gallon. I wasn't able to afford a chrome air cleaner so I do remember painting the underside of the lid so it would match the rest of the housing and hopefully not look so redneck....it didn't work lol. David

I have yet to try that with my qjet. Guess I'm missing out. I need to tune the carb anyways. Not happy with the performance. Sluggish off the line and hesitates when you hammer the gas. Where do I get a jet kit for this?

You shouldnt need to rejet it Mike maybe just clean it up a bit some carb cleaner and maybe a fuel additive to help clean the internal stuff. Maybe a carb rebuild is in order. If you decide to do it yourself get the qjet book that I have seen others talking about.

I had it rebuilt supposedly when I bought it. Just doesn't seem any better than my 2bbl did. Just goes through more fuel. It was off of a 74 corvette as informed from the seller. And I think the fuel bowl leaks as when hot it can be hard to start and when it sits for a day or two will require a lot of turning over to start. My 2bbl would fire up every time without using the pedal.

Well if the fuel bowls leak then it will be hard to start because it will have to pump gas out of the tank till the bowls fill back up,and i don't think you have a q-jet if it has fuel bowls,if its off a 74 vett you have the Have the Holley quadrajet replacement carb its the Holley version of the quadrajet i have one of them and there easy to tune carbs there is no float adjustment there pre set its pretty much jets and A/F screws witch are easy to adjust if you have a vacuum gauge

Perhaps a cool idea, record the sound we are all talking about for a U-Tube video. Share the fun, but don't get a ticket.

Bruce

You will hear a lot of that sound if you watch "Smokey and the bandit". It was on the other day, and I noticed a scene where he had to swerve through a gas station to avoid an accident...the accident was between a blue 1st gen, and what looked like a green '68 Chevelle. Lots of 70's car watching in the background of that movie.

Trust me its a Qjet. Bad wording on my part. I think its the plugs on the bottom of the carb that are leaking.

If I was to try and rejet does that not mean I have to tear it down to get at the metering rods and jets?