Front Wheels bowing

Just sitting there not moving or after a real good hole shot?

Is the engine and all the normal weight items attached to the car?

If nothing is broken, bent or worn out, a simple ft. end alignment should take care of it. Did you just rebuild the ft end and add new HD springs? Looks like my 71 did when the engine, trans, hood and fenders were off.

Bruce

If its during a holeshot the only way to get rid of droop is to use a set of tubular arms up front. They are designed to keep the tire perpendicular to the ground throughout the suspension motion up and down. Therefore benefitting handling around corners and to prevent squirelling in the 1/4 mile when car is lifting front end.

They do make drag specific front tubular arms if that is the main use for the car. Not sure what the difference is over a typical arm for handling, but they do make 'em.

Yea i really do think the po put HD spring on there they look fairly decent cant be original to the car.Whats crazy is like the height really dont want to change it, Ive ordered new 18 in wheels to put on ill get aligment and see how it looks like afterwards.

I had a similar problem when I replaced rear springs with stock height ones, this lowered the back and caused the problem. Resulted in fish scalling of the front tires. Anytime the springs either front or back are changed, this can happen. Front end alignment took care of it.

From the pic of the car, it looks like it is siting way high.

Def agree it's sitting way high. Mine isn't sitting that high, and I have relatively new springs in the rear (replaced about 12 years ago with cargo springs, and only drove on them for about 2 years). Plus I don't have anything - anything - except the body and fuel/brake lines on the frame. You can see it in my sig pic.

ditto

Unless you get adjustable upper arms there is no way there is enough factory adjustment to bring them straight again. To bring the camber positive you need to remove shims between the control arm and the frame....there are only so many in there to begin with.

there are other ways to cure this problem if it won't take a alignment, we raised our cars when we were younger so we would take it to a frame shop and they would bend the crossmember and that increases the width between the control arm frame mounts so it would take a alignment, I have also put the control arms in a press to take some of the bend out of them, this is all trial and error

you can always gain some additional camber with offset shafts. Unless it's ridiculously out of whack? Then it may need Sam's method, which in the low riding capital of America we're much too familiar with. grin

crosshaft1.jpg

Are you sure the front springs are the correct ones. I had a 71 that someone had big wheels on it and the front springs were way taller than factory springs and it sat funny till I replaced them.

Lotta of good stuff, but not sure if they are correct springs or not. With the new wheels i just put on it would look a tons better lowered.Now the question is how much to lower front and rear? Now not to low for suggestions fat man like myself would need to install a lift on the front seat to get out.lol

lol...I don't know what Sam's clever idea is but if I were you I'd start by cutting a half coil first and see where you land. Use a cut off wheel so you don't generate too much heat.....

Better yet...save yourself aggrevation and spend the $60 for the correct factor springs.

My 2 cents,

Steve

you cage the spring with a spring compressor into the frame putting the rod for the compressor thru the upper shock hole. cut off one! coil exactly! with a die grinder so when you release the compressor the spring sets in the lower control arm in the correct location

if you cut 1/4 or 1/2 coils, you will have to cage the spring so it can be turned to sit in the control arm correctly

then you can take that $60 bucks and spend it on something else for the monte

Sits high but not crazy high. Are the upper ball joints good?? Are those 14" olds wheels??How many shims are there in the upper control arms.Looks like spring, ball joint issues to me.JMO!!!!