and back to the metal work!!!!!

bigscaht

so as you all kow Ive replaced the roof skin, patched the front fenders & modified the side marker lights..got pretty good at welding but the battle with rust continues..so my next mini project is the lower cowl sections..both sides..urgh!!!

2012-11-12173159.jpg

2012-11-12173129.jpg

2012-11-12173447.jpg

boy i love new metal.. I have to do both sides but only took a pic of where im starting....wish me luck and there will be more pics to come of this!!

hey Sam if your talkin bout the originals on the car..they sure do was wondering if i could reproduce that stamp...hummmmm.

Yes they are Dynacorn. those plug weld pliers are gonna get ordered before Im ready to weld the new stuff in!

Hey Black07ss how hard was it for you to weld the new ones back in?

im lookin forward to finishing this project then the only rust Ill have to fix is the trunk.....thats gonna be the last rust battle...

I did not do the entire side cowl piece. I just did the outer skin and made a few patches for the other piece. I wanted to save the VIN stamp and I figured you cant see it any way where I patched it. I drilled 1/4" holes in the outer skin about where the original welds were. I then used vise grip clamps to hold it in place. Took my spot blaster and cleaned the hole. Took the plugweld pliers and set them at the hole and gave it a blast with the mig to fill it in. Those plugweld pliers really help to keep the sheet metal cool. Not once did I burn a hole through

this dam snowball is in full effect...check these pics out!!!

2012-11-14131226.jpg

now I jus gotta figure out how to get this piece out so I can shove the new piece in there..looks like im gonna have to make a few pieces before its all said and done......

it looks like with that complete unit you wouldnt be able to weld

the upper inner cowl area together & a few spot welds that you wouldnt be able to get and theres a brace inside the car that needs to be welded to that also but i guess that could be done from the inside besides the one i got its the same jus seperated..not a big deal..

speaking of got the whole shoulder(lol) out today, cleaned it up and covered it wit some POR-15....

2012-11-15141804.jpg

Heres where I am now!!!

got the passenger side almost done this weekend....

2012-11-16135553.jpg

2012-11-16175526.jpg

2012-11-16175727.jpg

2012-11-16175643.jpg

The outside isnt welded on yet..gotta get some seam sealer to seal up a few places on the inside before I close her all the way up..so on to the drivers side now!!