What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sent me ford 9" center section out for a quick gear swap and refresh..installed roto-joints on rear axle and touched up rear axle paint

Relaxing evening so far...... Beer,whiskey,a clay bar, some tunes on the radio, got Monte all ready for wax tomorrow! About an inch of pollen on it from being uncovered in the garage for so long. Also removed my original deco-remy coil and condenser, boxed it up and I'll probably keep it in the trunk just in case the new junk dies! After last years ride home a $12 part left me pushing that beast through the toll booth I figured I'd check what other original small parts were left and replace them. Amazing how that old stuff is still going after 43years and the new things don't last half as long.

I'm part way through my heater core swap today on the 71. There are so many things I can paint to make the engine compartment look better and it's really hard not to let this snowball into something more. I'm trying to restrain myself since I have a car show next Friday through Sunday.

Washed her and detailed the engine bay. Heading to a local cruise-in at a hamburger joint that I hung out as a teenager some 30 + years ago.

David

crazy Called body guy again asking for pics of work to date. Will post as soon as I get them. He did bring me the leftover parts he removed from the lower rear quarters. Pieces of metallic HVAC tape, glue side out with thin gray cardboard, skim coat of bondo, and 6 to 8 layers of primer and paint. You think this is why they didn't bother to bloc the body under the quarter panel trim??

Installed my second new a/c condenser, first one broke at the inlet tube "mysteriously" last year. Upon removal and inspection looked like a bad solder job from the manufacturer. This I can now tell you all, installing a a/c condenser is not an easy job on these cars. I tried doing it without dismantling the entire front end and bumper off and all, very tricky but probably quicker just to take the whole nose off car. Also permanently affixed a trans cooler which I had temporarily installed awaiting this condenser swap. Got the condenser at rock auto on sale for $60 genuine AC Delco part WOO HOO!!!

7DD33C4A-483D-4F07-AAC8-E5B7EDC565AE_zps

1B2DF487-CF42-4E0A-9273-7E1F97221BE7_zps

B7A950DD-6711-4DB7-887A-23F0E736A45E_zps

3ADD1C1D-EB11-4A9E-9EF7-4C92F3F26DF2_zps

Have no pictures but the rear window on the 72 is just about done. Got the package tray welded in place along with the panel between the window and the trunk lid. Both wheel tubs are installed and tacked in place.

Had a little garage time yesterday. Finally crawled under her to start putting the transmission back in. Still need to install the crossmember, driveshaft and exhaust, but it's progress. Also had to fix a couple wiring issues and added an inline connector for my electronic speedometer. If I need to drop the trans again it will be a quick disconnect.

STARTED IT TODAY!!!!!!! Got the cam broke in, and it sounds great! Dad's brother and his son came out to help. Seems fitting that we fired it up on Father's Day. Miss you Dad, wish you could have heard it. Although, you may have heard it. 3" duals have a pretty good bark! shiftershockyaykicking

Mostly cleaned and ready for Carlisle

Amazing how much horse poo we have here on the roads mad

Had to hand polish all the Lower moldings

image_zps98dbd73a.jpg

image_zps77e29d7c.jpg

image_zps9e1f4fde.jpg

That does not look like a pic of horse poo on the rocker moulding rofl

Looking Super Sharp Tony ,Is that posi in yet shifter

Terry

It's in!!

My shed lol

I scheduled help week after Carlisle from a friend so itll be in before super chevy anyway. Didn't want any surprises before or during the trek to Carlisle!

I hear ya Tony,I don't like to tackle a big change close to any event,if something can go wrong it will .I think you'll be happy with the upgrade and the twin tire burn outs thats for sure shifter

You'll need to correct the speedometer,you won't like it being off ,I would expect 10-15 mi off at 50-60 mph. I just posted the place that can give you the right gears for Rock.Thats where I got mine ,they give you the correct drive gear and the driven gear,its easy to change the one on the trans shaft ,just need to drop the drive shaft and remove the tail section from the tranny and its held with a clip on your 350.

Terry

It's been a busy three weeks in the little work shop. 003_zps6a344c1f.jpg got all the rot cut out and new metal welded in place 012_zps1441199d.jpg Got the drivers fender patched up 002_zps0004a796.jpg013_zps94cf0b64.jpg Wheel tubs in place with the trunk hinges mounted 014_zpsbbd0e67d.jpg015_zps6c05f894.jpg and the metal work behind the rear seat 016_zpse09bdd5c.jpg yes I said rear seat.

Finished breaking the cam in today on my lunch break, got a rough tune on it, topped the trans fluid off, told my 16 year old to take shotgun and I drove it for the first time in 17 years. I was 23 the last time I got to drive that car, Dad tore into it about 6 years ago, and he's been gone almost 3 years now. We idled out to the end of the driveway, turned around, and idled back to the shop. I had to do a quick chirpie, well, just because that would have drove Dad nuts!!! rofl

What kind of idiot waits til it's 90 degrees to replace their A/C compressor? I do nutzlol just have to slap the belt on & charge er up and enjoy the rest of the summer yay

2D1E528E-F85C-4E24-9E1D-194821569F1E_zps

C46E75DC-14C4-4C4C-9599-62753EB4D4DD_zps

0508B6C0-C4CF-4E61-BC76-A359D6FCD3B6_zps

Finished installing the thermo-tech cool it insulation on the floors and insulation behind the rear seat and rear side panels. Next step is to hook up the floor shift cable, make the adjustments, and remove the steering column.