Refurbished bumper guards

MCfan

I have been wanting to install both front and rear bumper guards on my '70 4-speed car since I got it three years ago. Finding a complete set in great condition usually means finding NOS, but they are scarce and pricey. I added a set of NOS rear guards to my '70 SS last summer for $170 but haven't seen that good of a deal since.

So, I decided to go the restoration route. I managed to trade parts for a rough but useable set of cores which I stripped down and sent to Tri-City Plating in Tennessee for re-chroming ($75 each + shipping). Of course, the rubber inserts had to be replaced so I ordered them from The Parts Place in Chicago ($29/pair + shipping)

Both sets of re-chromed bumper guards arrived in the mail and the exteriors look like new. I added the new rubber inserts and installed them on the Monte today. If anyone else is considering going this route, I would say it is effective, but not necessarily inexpensive. I have spent right at $400 in re-chroming, new inserts and shipping. If you also have to buy a good set of cores (I traded for mine), that will add to the overall project cost.

Nevertheless, I am pleased with the end result and finally have the look I wanted. Following are a couple of photos from the project:

Good cores in lousy condition:

448_zps581ad8bb.jpg

Re-chromed cores by Tri-City Plating:

P4015202_zpsd265da2f.jpg

Re-chromed cores assembled with new rubber inserts:

P4015209_zpsb895cff2.jpg

Front guards installed:

P4025262_zpsb5f9cd49.jpg

Rear guards installed:

P4025272_zps85e1620e.jpg

Dennis. Very nice. When I spend money on my Monte I always say....IT'S ONLY MONEY.

They look Great Dennis,I have a set F&R that are excellent cores that I may send there. They look great on your Monte as well.

Terry

Nice, they look amazing. cool Are you 100% satisfied with the chroming finish? Some chroming outfits skimp on their process, mostly on the prep. At $75.00 a piece did they do a good job?

Are you 100% satisfied with the chroming finish? Some chroming outfits skimp on their process, mostly on the prep. At $75.00 a piece did they do a good job?

Yes, Rod, I am very satisfied with the quality of Tri-City's plating. I was a bit skeptical because two of the guards had light pitting, one had some scratches that breached the original chrome and another had a small surface crack. I emailed Tri-City and then spoke to them on the phone before I sent the guards. They assured me that they would do all the necessary prep. They just wanted me to write my name and contact number on each piece in permanent marker.

I examined them closely when they came back and I can't see any evidence of the imperfections mentioned above. I don't know how thick or durable their plating is, but it sure looks good right now. smile

I went with Tri-City because Rodney had used them with good results so I didn't actually check around to see how competitive their prices were. We ususally get what we pay for and I feel I got a quality job and a solid value on these guards. I will use Tri-City again - may send my front bumper to them next.

My son in-laws dad used Tri-City on his 74 duster bumpers 5 years ago and they still look good. He has done several cars over the years and that is the only place he will have any chrome work done.

Looks like they did a good job on the plating. They look great on your car. I plan on adding guards to my Monte once I decide to have the bumpers re-done.

Thanks for the reply Denise. One can't be too careful specially when it comes to pieces that can be easily lost or damaged. Outfits out here in Ca., because of the EPA and state regulations(RoHS directive) some shops seem to be less interested in providing a decent service. The smaller Mom & Pop shop are getting harder to find and a great many are no longer in business and have thrown-in the towel. I'm not sure what has taken place but the chrome finish of yesteryear is difficult to find. It has to be attributed to the restrictions imposed on these outfits? The three step process once used is not likely to be used in all remaining shops. Good to hear about Tri-City's favorable results, it may be that I need to start using someone out of state, before the art is totally lost. frown

I agree with Rod, finding a shop that does top quality work is becoming very difficult to find. The few places here in Phoenix have such a bad reputation, I don't know how they stay in business. I've seen several bumpers done here locally that started rusting in less than 2 years, and we are extremely dry here.........

I was hoping Rod knew of a place in LA area to keep shipping costs down for me but that may just be a pipe dream..........

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am providing the contact information for Tri-City Plating below in case anyone wants to get a quote from them in the future.

Tri City Plating Co., Inc

218 E. Mill St.

Elizabethton, TN 37643

800-251-7536

423-542-1691

They told me they are unusually busy during April as customers are getting ready for the car show season to begin soon. They quoted me 2-3 weeks and I had them back in 2 weeks but my order was just before their big rush. They said it can be as high as 5-6 weeks. There was no price increase this year over their 2012 prices.

The key is to call them before you send them anything. I included a printed page on each end of my package with my contact information on it. One of their concerns (and any customer's, also) is that something gets lost or returned to the wrong customer.

These cars look so much better with Bumper Guards. I will putting them on the Rear of my modified 72 soon, leaving them off the front just to keep the smooth billet look.