So after the cake was cut....

CKZ03

Sam thanks for backing me here, but Im just not going to go there, if ya know what Im saying no

Vaughn & Tony, thanks for the input, I hope this steers other members in the right direction. Unfortunetly for me some of my purchases were made before discovering this site. I have been acquiring parts for the last 2 & a half years & made most purchases prior to finding the FGMCC & absorbing in all the great info that is shared here. Coulda Woulda Shoulda, all is a bit too late for me frown Doing the best I can with what I got. Could have been better if I found this site earlier. Gladly help anyone with my experiences but just not on the forum, feel free to PM me & I mean anyone & everyone, and I will be glad to try & steer you in the right direction. Thats why I joined such a great club, because everyone here is so knowlegeable & eager to help out. I would just like to help others also, too not make the same mistakes that I have made. Thanks everyone here for everything, what a great club

fgmcc

And back to where we left off.... Pretty disappointing putting my 15 X 7's back on, the 15 X 8's where really growing on me but these where in my original plan that got slightly altered along the way. My paint scheme is screaming for something way beyond rally's but this is what I have to roll on for a while, especially financially at this point. Kinda like the rest of everything else going on right now, "good enough".

Im kinda bouncing around all over the place with what Im doing as far as assembly. There is just so much to do right now. From day to day Im just jumping on whatever I feel like doing at the moment. Some days you just need to walk away from what your doing & come back to it later with a different angle/perspective. But fortunetly my list is getting shorter.

IMG_20130611_234512_zps7c7e7249.jpg

Needed a coolant jug, found this looking on Summits website. Fabd up a bracket to mount it to my shroud, worked out great. Chromed stainless, vented with functioning siphon, has a sight tube to verify level, drain on the bottom, and has a red anodized alum cap on top that goes well with my paint too. cool Course the color looks jacked up in this pic. Quite nice, glad I found it, thanks Sam for pointing me in the right direction. Summits Catalog I have only has a few of these tanks listed. Once I looked at their online catalog I saw they actually offer hundreds of different styles of these, possibilities are endless.

IMG_20130611_234411_zpscb02b37b.jpg

Started detailing the engine compartment, not quite as big of a mess as I thought, its cleaning up nicely without much effort. I still have some other goodies to be installed under the hood which will show up later in more pics. Things are currently looking a bit different already.

IMG_20130611_234332_zpsca289df7.jpg

IMG_20130611_234317_zpsaf4c4bf9.jpg

IMG_20130611_234304_zps6fbf1f08.jpg

IMG_20130611_234255_zpsd713caa9.jpg

Got the front door panels partially built up & ready for final placement. Cant talk about how many hours involved here.... thats right HOURS!!! & ya they arent fastened here in the pic, just kinda dangling

IMG_20130611_233650_zps16305374.jpg

IMG_20130611_233629_zpsa55e989e.jpg

Trying to make an appt Friday for front end alignment & too weld up my exhaust & finish it off to my liking. Need to cram in a few more things the next two days to achieve that. Just got my backglass today, the smoked backglass too match the rest of my glass was on inter galactic backorder & I was forced to settle for a clear backglass, took it to a shop to have it tinted today, hoping to install backglass & windsheild Wed or Thurs....

9 days too go, but really only 7ish for me eek. I think I have a chance of getting her about 95 percent or so. nutz

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we do need to inform others on issues with parts and services, it is a benefit of having this forum, to give much needed info on parts. I've seen both sides here, praises and concerns.

I also understand people make a living making and selling these parts, but any legitimate concerns should be taken into consideration and addressed, not taken as bashing the company. As long as it isn't put out there as a public attack on someone

Didnt get much accomplished today, Im pretty beat from too many late nights in a row. Spent most of my evening wrestling with my rear bumper trying to get it to fit OK. Heres another part some of us will find is just "good enough". I went through 3 of these before I got one to fit decent, each one is almost unique to itself & they all have some funny issue. Seems there is only one manufacturer of these but distributed by many different companies & sometimes even reboxed with a different company package/logo & different part numbers, but they are all pretty much the same. Im not real happy about it but what else are you going to do. I couldnt come up with a decent core to have rechromed. I would have rather went that route & paid a bit more money to get something a little better but oh well, heres what I got.

IMG_20130613_001133_zpse1e9a693.jpg

Most people will probably be happy with putting one of these on, its just that Im kinda picky.

Getting my backglass & windsheild installed Thurs, will have a busy night assembling Thurs night also prepping to get the car out to have the exhaust welded up, eliminating all clamps and getting the front end aligned Friday, after that she will be road worthy with the exception that some tuning still needs to be done.

Cory I have a decent core for a rear bumper. There is a crack under the right tail light. I will try to get some pix and bring them to Carlisle. I did not feel it was worth it to me to have it repaired and re chromed.

7 days Cory...should I pack tools? kicking

Very nice of you to offer Jim, but Im almost done. I think the only tool you should bring is a bottle opener yay. Pretty sure I got her beat into submission now.

Random assembly pic, I have parts & pieces laying everywhere right now, thought this was a cool one.

IMG_20130614_013450_zps40522d1d.jpg

Got the backglass & windsheild installed today

IMG_20130614_013925_zps227d7b33.jpg

Door panels are pretty much done

IMG_20130614_013705_zps13537166.jpg

IMG_20130614_013547_zps68c5d456.jpg

front seats are temporarily installed just to add correct body weight for a front end alignment Friday. Seats will come back out to install the dash & tidy up the wiring nightmare. Windsheid will also come back out to ease the dash install. Windsheild is temporarily set with butyl but will be urethaned in permenently once dash is in. The reason for the late dash install is I must drive the car to calibrate my speedo, not drivable until the front end alignment is done which will be done today. I need a windshield to drive it, I think nutz Once speedo is calibrated the dash can go in. I know, sounds stupid, some genius designed a infinitely programmable speedo with switches to calibrate it correctly that you cant reach or even see once mounted in dash, BRILLIANT lol. Kinda complicates things for me, but should be worth the effort.

IMG_20130614_013536_zps31c330df.jpg

IMG_20130614_013654_zps6264dfbe.jpg

you know when emblems start going on your getting close to the end, pretty sure my snowball is now just dust in the wind...

IMG_20130614_013951_zpsf4daddd9.jpg

Not sure what to make of this stance, seems low in the rear but measuring with a tape the lower lip (pinch weld) at the rear of the rocker to the concrete is 10 1/2" and front of the rocker measures 10". Technically the rear is a 1/2 inch higher but doesnt look it. Im not sure what direction Im going to go here as far as stance, but I dont think it looks too bad at all.

IMG_20130614_014134_zps3c194598.jpg

don't worry about the stance right now, put some miles on it, the springs will settle some and give you some time to think about it

and the way the rear wheel openings are in gives the illusion that the rear is lower, I like to see the top of my rear tires tucked up in the well just a little

come on...you have 6 days left...it would be a great idea to start swapping springs now kicking

For what its worth, I think it looks right the way it is cool

come on...you have 6 days left...it would be a great idea to start swapping springs now kicking

For what its worth, I think it looks right the way it is cool

I might not have time to mess with the ride height, but the alignment shop did today grin, they put in a 1 inch spacer for me, kicked up the rear just a touch, looks great. cool They also eliminated all the clamps from the Flowmaster kit, welded up all the joints, & tucked my tail pipes up prior to exiting. Have them turned down above lower edge of bumper so you dont really see the tailpipes at all, exiting just short of the leading edge of rear bumper pointed at an angle downward. No pics of that yet. Looks kinda ugly when you jam your head underneath the bumper & quarters but looks really clean looking straignt at the rear bumper.

Yep, 6 days left & Im taking the night off yay. I am quite fatiqued from weeks of late nights in a row, tired Im going to sleep for about 12 hours tonight. Been getting 3 to 4 hours sleep each night, wearing me down BAD, certainly affecting my daily grind at work. Taking her for her first drive in the morning to calibrate the speedo with a GPS, then starting the dash install tomorrow afternoon. Once the dash is in I have very little work left. Of Course tuning the engine properly plays a role now, but as long as she runs good enough to get me to the show field & back Im good. Idles and moves around just fine, but yet to find out how she responds when I mash the throttle shifter

Some pics to back up that it really happened, loading up this morning heading down to exhaust/alignment shop. Sadly this car has logged more miles on a wrecker than actual drive time. Like a ratio of 50 miles to 0.1. Gotta thank Dave Phelps for hauling me all around Jackson Michigan, he really "hooked" me up lol. Jackson's finest wrecker service, top of the line rigs.

IMG_20130614_083136_zpsa5e775af.jpg

IMG_20130614_083152_zps1e9e5544.jpg

Just took her for the first drive ever yay to calibrate the speedometer, so I can install my dash today. Everything went great, ran good, drove nice & stopped just fine. Fells like I have really good brakes, dont know what everyones complaint about the brakes on these cars is all about. Im running just a stock brake configuration with a bunch of middle of the road name brand stuff.

Clocked 4 miles on her, would love to drive her around all day but I have work to do.

IMG_20130615_120202_zps09d3cfac.jpg

Heres kinda a funny story. When I bought this car a bunch of extra parts came with it including the original CUSTOM turbine style hub caps as well as a extra set of rally caps (it had rallys on it when I brought her home). I didnt think much about the extra caps as they were filthy from sitting around in the guys garage for years, they looked like junk at first glance. After a year or so of literally throwing the caps around my garage, constantly moving them around as they always seemed to be in my way, and not being gentle with them either, I finally decided to clean them up to see how bad they were compared to the others that were on the car. What they guy neglected to tell me is they were basically brand new. I dont think they had ever been installed on a car, look to be NOS, I had no clue and had not been treating them so well. Once cleaned up I was totally amazed with their condition and now the only flaws on them are from my own ignorance and tossing them around mad. Never know what you got til you clean them up, sometimes what appears to be junk could be a real treasure. Heres how they look now.

IMG_20130615_103423_zpsb41a7bdf.jpg

IMG_20130615_103440_zps2ae14fca.jpg

IMG_20130615_121647_zps1d770e8c.jpg

HOLY CRAP WHO IS THAT CRAZY LOOKING GUY IN THE REFLECTION OF THOSE RALLY CAPS!! shock

J/K those look perfect Cory! shifter

lol didn't realize I got a partial mug shot in the reflection there. Kinda like one of those crazy circus mirrors, definetly not a good look! rofl

My son thought he could help me install my dash for fathers day, once he saw the pile of wires he was off to play outside with more fun stuff.

IMG_20130615_163427_zps8e18138a.jpg

IMG_20130615_163510_zps10f640df.jpg

Building the dash up

IMG_20130615_232535_zpsbc296d45.jpg

IMG_20130615_232551_zps8e257cae.jpg

Installed, everything checks out, all sytems A OK. yay Reinstalling the windsheid, putting dash pad on, & wrapping up the interior Monday evening. ALMOST DONE WOOO HOOO. grin

IMG_20130617_003329_zps1ce446a3.jpg

IMG_20130617_003551_zps43942da8.jpg

IMG_20130617_003603_zpsc2ae67af.jpg

Ya, I'm leaving the woodgrain off for now. I can always add it on later if I change my mind. I kinda like the all black interior with all the chrome accents everywhere. Its looking pretty nice. I know the woodgrain is one of the Monte specific things that is certainly an important part of the interior and really should be on there, but I'm liking it without. Some of the purists probably wouldn't like my decision here, but that's just one more thing I've done my way on this car. There's many changes on my car that are far from stock/original. Some are very subtle & may never be noticed. I have a few pieces from each year on this car & am looking forward to some of you guys to spot them.

My hat goes off to both of you guys!!! Great work and pushed for time doing it. Both cars look fantastic and i cant wait to see them in person at Carlisle. Nice going guys!!!!

Dont forget to put the steering wheel on Cory that car is way to beautiful to see it with vice grips on the steering shaft. Cant wait to see it and meet the man behind the machine in just a couple days.

Boy I wish I would have seen this post earlier this evening, I would have clamped some vice grips on there and took a pic lol Oh well, too late the steering wheel is on now. Two days to go for me & Im feeling pretty good about everything. Theres several things Id like to finish or correct but just dont have time to mess with it now, I will tidy things up later - LIKE MAYBE NEXT WINTER!!! I dont plan on messing with this thing much more after Wednesday, I need a break from it for sure.

My wife finally decided that the car is up to her standards & would feel OK being seen in it, so she decided to go to Carlisle with me. So add a very important +1 on my list of guests. Definetly couldnt have done this car without her patience & cooperation. Shes really glad its over....

Cant say I really like this steering wheel yet, It seems to deep, like its right in your chest. Kinda had the look I wanted but not quite the fit.

IMG_20130618_005128_zps970452b1.jpg

Console is in & just finishing up the rest of the interior, not much left on my list but put windsheild back in, dash pad on, and a few trim pieces/emblems. Course theres a bunch of small things that Im just not going to do & not real worried about them either, I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!! WILL IT EVER END!!! (probably not) lol

IMG_20130618_004756_zps2ebdf547.jpg

IMG_20130618_005207_zps5db3cadc.jpg

IMG_20130618_005451_zps2a66e649.jpg