So after the cake was cut....

CKZ03

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like the rally wheels best. just my own preference. It does look good Cory. The only wheels I might consider is chromed rally's for my 72 with my new disc brake centers.

So how cool is this! recently got back with the previous owner of my Monte and learned a little bit more about my car. I posted this Thursday in the "what did you do to your Monte today" post but Im sure no one saw it.

Drove her to work, then cruised around some this evening. I stopped by the guys house that I purchased her from & blew him & his wife away. His wife almost cried. They had a lot of history & memories with the car and they were very glad to see it restored for future memories and another family to enjoy. We talked for quite a while & I learned more about the past of my Monte, very rewarding evening. 2beers

I told him, sorry this aint overhaulin', I didn't bring it back for you to keep and it took me a little longer than 7 days to restore... lol

So the previous owner, Lou & I BS'd for a while & I was hoping for any more paperwork, history or anything else he had on the car's history. I sent him a link to my photobucket pics on the build of his former car for his review.

Lou was able to find of few pics for me from back in the day when he owned it. Heres his pics & his reply in an email. Such a great guy & his wife as well, theres just something about Monte people grin

72Monte001_zps5b07f27e.jpg

Lou's reply for me-

Cory, you did a fantastic job restoring that Monte Carlo! It was a pleasure seeing it looking like new. I am a bit envious although I also know I could never have done the car justice as you did. I am happy the car now belongs to someone who will care for it. Maria and I both enjoyed your visit and thank you for driving it over, this adds a really neat addition to our memories of it.

I didn't have any trouble at all linking to those photos, still haven't been through them all but am thoroughly impressed. I could only find a couple pics of it when I had it, they are probably from about 2001.

So you have my known history of it : I bought it in a city north of San Diego (cannot recall the name) in 1995 while serving in the navy after finding an add for it in a classic auto magazine. I drove it to Florida and then Michigan in 1997( it was brown at that time) I had it painted fire engine red in 2000. I drove it summers only here until about 2003. At that point it sat in my yard weathering for years until my wife told me to get rid of it before it rots in the ground. I am glad you saved it and again, fine job. Lou

What a great story, Cory! Thanks for sharing.

The photos of your Monte with the new wheels/tires are gorgeous - it must have been almost shocking for the previous owners to see it "in the flesh"!!

What a great story, Cory! Thanks for sharing.

The photos of your Monte with the new wheels/tires are gorgeous - it must have been almost shocking for the previous owners to see it "in the flesh"!!

ditto Beautiful Monte - those wheels are awesome - great choice!

Very cool story Cory!! I knew I was special when I got to ride the short bus to school all by myself while all the others rode the crowded big bus

Very cool story Cory. Nice choice on the rims and tires. I think you will be very happey and satisfied with those Nittos. - Dave

Cory. You know what I think!! They are BADD!! The choice to move on from the old school rally's is a difficult hurdle. The car is not all original by no means. So,Why should the wheels be original? The custom wheels set it aside from all the other cars that GM installed their rallys on. Granted The rally is the best looking factory wheel, But that was 40 years ago and some things are hard to change. The wheels were difficult for me as well. Keep up the good work. I will look forward to seeing the next step

Thanks guys for all the nice compliments, got her all cleaned up & drove around for the last few days racking up some miles. Been working with Sam via text/phone calls on getting my tuning dialed in, changing carb settings, carb parts & stuff as well as some timing changes. Last 2 days have seen major improvements in power & driveability. Shes very close to full potential, just a little more fine tuning, Thanks Sam, your the man!!! cool

shifter