and on to the rear end I go!!!

So im finally to the point in my build where im ready to tear into the rear end. Never tried any of this type of work but my plans are after all the cleaning of the rear end of course..to rebuild the rear suspension..I ordered all UMI parts..real control arms & poly bushings..non adjustable but at a later time i might change out the uppers to adjustable ones...i dunno! Heres my question..Our cars have these rear control arm braces...should I replace these or jus clean up the original ones?? and if I replace them..should I get adjustable ones or not??? The first part of this build will be to either rebuild the drum brakes or change over to rear disks..still debating on that as some of the kits ive seen are expensive. if going with a rear disk set up..what do you all reccomend..an off the shelf kit from Cpp or something like that or hit the junk yards and piece something together which I dont mind doing! As for gears..im probally gonna go with a 3:31 or 3:55 so i can still have a kinda low freeway rpm..should i go with c clip eliminator axels or keep the stock set up..the car isnt gonna see much track time..jus fun on the streets......Ikno wwe all love pics so heres where I am so far..jus cleaning things up now!!!20130807_202036_zps275626bf.jpg

20130809_201919_zpsb5539142.jpg

still have some cleaning to do!!!

Hey Scott, just a few comments for you. If you search thru older suspension posts, you'll see lots of good info....Anyway, is a sway bar being added? Highly recommend it! Rear brakes, I completely rebuilt my drum setup and they're great. Couldn't see spending all that cash on a conversion setup, my list of projects is looongg! I'll be attempting the differential myself soon but several local guys have told me not to mess with C-clip eliminators on a street car. It creates another snowball as the drums will now be set out about a 1/4"+ and you may have a tire rubbing issue?? I'm most likely going with 3:31 gear and a posi unit. Good luck......

Not sure I saw "replace brake lines and hoses".

I would check the axle shafts where they ride on the bearings. My were rt one was worn so I replaced the bearing with an off set style. I like the look of a rear anti sway bar, so I added one to my 71 back in 1972. I prefer stock but to each their own. Enjoy!

Bruce

yes im adding a bigger front and a rear sway bar..gonna get the UMI ones cuz for some reason I want red sway bars under there..i like that look. Rebuilding the drum set up isnt a bad idea i jus hate dealing with those springs..disc brake changes are sooo much easier...lol and yes im for sure gettin all new brake lines & hoses..all stainless stuff..gotta go with the best for the brake system. 3.31s sound like a good compromise between street crusieng and a better off the line launch! I dont think i wanna tackle rebuilding the rear my self..its kinda intimidating..but never know!..my control arms should be here today..gotta love new parts!!

You won't go wrong with the 3.31's. That's what I have with a 700R4, love that OD! If you know somebody that has the set up tools for the rear end and knows what they are doing, become their best friend.

You are making some good progress! Keep up the good work.

yeah I know thats how things end up when your pushin a rear end with ur foot while holding up a frame so you can clear the exaust with the wheels...the fun of workin in a 2 car garage

• 4 weeks later...

ok so i got the rear refurbished and fought with the bushings till i got em in striaght...now jus waiting on my front & rear sway bars

20130917_121651_zps66344419.jpg

get the sway bars and brake lines and I can put the body back on..

Looking great! If you haven't already, I recommend replacing the rubber hose to the rear axle. I can't tell in the picture.

yeah in that pic thats a new braided stainless hose..jus waitin on the rest of the brake lines. i also replaces the rubber pads that go on top of the rear springs..all these darn little parts add up fast..smh!!!

• 4 weeks later...

so now all i need is the front & rear sway bars and im done with the suspension. Got the stainless brake line from the new prop valve to the back and got it all installed

20131016_124258_zps957893a5.jpg

20131016_124209_zpsae1f5e63.jpg

and wouldnt cha know it..theres a problem. If you look at the 2nd pic...look at the muffler and the brace..the long bolt that holds the lower control arm and the brace is too long and hits the muffler. this inturn pushed the mufflers down and now they dont line up with the headers any more......and suggestions on that small delima?????

Can you flip the bolt around so the head end is next to the muffler instead of the nut. That should buy you a small amount of space. Man, those braces have a significant difference in width at that point compared to the stock ones.

Good luck

short of that ....re adjusting the muffler mounts on the cross-member brace ...but the first suggestion would be the easiest

Looking really good. If you haven't already ...... with all the work you have done to the suspension ....... I would look into Hellwig swaybars front and rear. (Hellwig Products ) The fronts are available in a few ways and are available with a non-binding solid end link, and the rears attach to axle housing on rear and use links to attach to frame cross member instead of lower control arms. The center section of sway bar does not sit below center section of rear causing "the squirrel catcher" effect. These do not hang below center housing.

This allows them to produce much more torsional ridgidity. They also have three settings at the link end.

1- street driving

2- spirited driving/autocross

3- drag setting .... will act like a drag bar

Call Marcus @ Seviskes Classic & Customs. He will give you an education on suspension design and will help you get the car set up to meet your goals.

Here is their website list for GM A-Body

Sevitskes GM A-body Parts list .

Hope this Helps.

Dan

yeah i thought about flipping the bolts around but then the problem arises as to what about when or if i ever have to remove the lower control arms for any reason..i would then have to drop the exaust just to do that cuz that bolt wont come out that way.... i actually after those pics i went and got some shorter nuts..some locktite and locking washers..i then screwed them down all the way tot he the 90ft/lbs to see how much clearence I would have. that gives me about 1/8 of an inch and I actually have threads left stickin out the end of the nut....that should be fine.

The Hellwig stuff sounds great but for some reason I really want my sway bars red...i dunno..i jus like that look of the res sway bars goin across the car..lol..imma most likely jus order the ones from UMI to go with the rest of there stuff on the car..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of doing my rear suspension also went with boxed lowers and adjustable uppers . Having a hell of a time getting the bushing into the rear end housing, got 1 almost on but still have about an inch to go, had to walk away from it last night as it was getting me frustrated and I didn't want to mess anything up. Any tips on how you got them in? Your setup looks great only hope mine comes out as well. Great work there.