200R4 vs 700R4 vs GV OD

CKZ03

In my research for 700r4 I found out that there was & is a very limited# of tail extensions (used) for that tranny have a rear cross member mount built into them, Which made my install easy & only had to re-drill one frame hole using my stock cross member. I ck driveshaft geometry & came up with a 1 inch shorter energy trans mount which put the driveshaft angle right one. Bob

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 200-r4 with the 3.73 gears and agree it is a bit much. In hindsight I would get the 3.55's just for gas mileage, although my car does launch really, really well.

Its seems everyone has been able to utilize their original crossmember, just needed repositioning. And no driveshaft modifications necessary for the 200-4R. How about trans cooler lines, anyone able to just reuse existing? Any issues with mounting the new convertor to existing flexplate?

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff to know. I just traded a 4L60e for a 700r4, and will most likely be using that in the SS car I'm building whenever I start back on it after my 57 is ready for the road in the spring.

Or after reading through the post, should I trade this for a 200r4? I also would like to stay with a lock up torque converter for optimum gas mileage. And my SS has a 2:56 rear gear, will this help or hurt Hwy mileage? Reason I wonder is with that high of a rear end gear, and a high overdrive gear, I don't want to have to run 100 before it goes into OD.

• 2 months later...

Finally got off my wallet and made the purchase, Bowtie Overdrives 200 4R stage 2 package. Just showed up today, got some work to do. Will follow up on install and performance opinions.

65CF65AE-45ED-4B4E-8467-9858AE9541BD_zps

E9733BC0-9A09-45EF-86E2-520E54359625_zps

BDF8E471-E105-4442-ACA7-E838AF0C72FC_zps

Getting prepped to start this swap this weekend, I can't tie up a hoist at work to work on my own car, especially since this may take a while. I'm changing out my leaking oil pan at the same time, figured it would be easy with the trans out. Since I'm going to be laying on my back in the barn doing this a friend let me borrow this contraption. I have never seen anything like it. Seems to be an antique trans jack, perfect for a car on jack stands, check out this relic, anyone ever seen one of these?

888F239E-F84C-4A8D-A858-0DB52747B485_zps

8DCB7597-6801-4E05-81B0-F0C5A815F496_zps

Cory, and anyone else who cares. On a 200-4r at .67 OD ratio, even if you ran 4.10's in your rear, your OD gear would feel like having 2.75s on the highway. It's the best of both worlds. 4.10s for grunt, 2.75s for highway cruise. I had 3.31s in my rear with a 4L80 full manual but since it is not electric, does not have a lock up convertor, and has a stall of 3400, my tranny never liked 3.31's. I switched to 4.10s and the car loves it,...and so do I. My tranny's OD gear is at .75 so I feel like 3.08s on the highway. Sometimes obtaining an ultra low rpm on the highway is counter productive. Just my 2 cents. - Dave

Antique trans jack worked great! What a pain in the butt doing this, especially laying on the floor. At least now I have a clean area in my concrete, been scrubbing the floor with my back & butt slithering around lol

Dual purpose here, trans swap and oil pan & gasket removal & replacement. Chrome pan going in trash, wouldn't even give it away to my worst enemy. Phase one complete last night & today. Trans is out and oil pan is in the garbage, probably finish up next weekend. Wound up pulling my right front wheel liner, right header & starter. Don't think it was possible to pull trans without removing the right side header, my headers are REAL close to the trans. Was able to pull oil pan straight out without jacking up engine or messing with crankshaft position once flywheel was removed. I put a bottle jack on the starter pad to prevent the engine from tilting.Pics to prove prove it!

Also had to pull carb off to install the BTO carb plate for "correct positioning of TV cable", kinda sucks cause I also had to redo my throttle cable set up. Can no longer use my old throttle bracketry which cost a few bucks, bummer, plus I liked the cosmetics way better than the BTO set up. So Tony don't go wastin money on a new throttle bracket set up if your going with the BTO 200-R4.

BBC3EEF3-50A4-464E-8650-99A554F9C8ED_zps

A5790DD0-8352-44A6-8DEF-277937DB9E2C_zps

BB007140-3E31-4489-A6EE-EA37DA16B9C4_zps

A8BDAA34-D66C-4F1F-89F6-732B10B21AA9_zps

131490DB-5974-4055-9549-D71695F36B1D_zps

4D39EAF4-B09A-435E-9C66-E14CD0207A30_zps

Thanks for the heads up on the throttle bracket setup!

I'll be holding off till I save up a little more for the whole drivetrain replacement Cory, but I will check and see what parts of that throttle bracket setup you sent me a list of will work on my Eddy carb, maybe I'll offset some of that loss for you lol

Can't wait to hear the reviews on this setup!

Got the conversion pretty much wrapped up today. Probably fire it up tomorrow. Only a couple small things I came across in the process. Ends of trans lines had to be bent and munipulated some and wind up real close to headers/starter. Their universal dipstick is a joke to fit, install and mount with their crappy brackets, wish I would have ordered a Lokar dipstick prior to starting this project, oh well to late now. Slight relocation of parking brake cable due to crossmember being moved back. Other than that piece of cake.

Can't drive it til I call BTO on Monday and review pressure readings with them, they make you do a few things and you have to communicate results back to them for warranty reasons prior to giving you an ok to hit the street.