Canadian built Montes

I'm trying to determine if the brake pedal pad on Canadian built Montes did not have the metal "disk brakes" insert. Both my US built 70 and 72 Montes had the metal insert but my 71 Canadian built Monte does not. I'd like to hear from those who have Canadian built Montes what year their car is and if they have the metal insert.

My 70

100_0370.JPG

My 72

0103.JPG

My 71

0078.JPG

I bought both of our current 2 Montes in original, unrestored condition. Neither had the metal on the pad, but one is from Kansas City and the other is from L.A.

Dan

Seems there was a few clunker Montes I've junked that also did not have the metal on the pad. Not saying it came that way though, the Help Section brake pedal covers at the parts store don't read anything on them either.

Seems there was a few clunker Montes I've junked that also did not have the metal on the pad. Not saying it came that way though, the Help Section brake pedal covers at the parts store don't read anything on them either.

That's what makes it so hard to determine what is correct after 40+ years. When I got my 71, I assumed it had the wrong pad on it but thought that was odd due to the car being fairly unrestored. The fact that Larry's car also did not have it and the very low mileage 72 for sale does not have it got me thinking if it is a Canadian built thing.

Hey Aaron, my 70 402 4spd thats numbers matching Does have the PDB tin on the brake pedal and its a 4spd brake pedal. That Triple Blue Canadian Built 1971 SS that was on Kijiji in BC does NOT have the PDB Tin on its brake pedal...

Now Just a Thought here Aaron, If the Strike was on when your Candian Car was made and Oshawa was out of the Rubber pad with PDB Tin in them and those that still worked and assembled these cars still may have just gone with what was left which would have been the Chevelle Brake rubber ??? as Disc Brakes on a Chevelle from 70-72 Was an option where as Monte's it was Standard equipement..

Just my thoughts on this.

Darren.

Originally Posted By: Patrick Sheean
Hi Larry, I'm late to the game, my 1971 California built does not have the metal and it is the original pad.

They figured the beach sand would scratch it. LOL

Fur sure man