New Guy Here

jft69z

In response to another thread where we talked about adding a throttle linkage extender to the Holley Terminator Stealth EFI throttle body (T.B.), here are some related pics.

The issue stems from the fact that the pivot point for the accelerator linkage is closer to the throttle plates on the EFI T.B. versus a carburetor. This causes a bit higher pedal effort and abrupt operation of the throttle sometimes. Holley makes an extender link, but may interfere with certain air cleaner bases (at least the ones I have on the Monte & Z/28).

Shortening the link a little and massaging the linkage on the TB makes it better.

Here is a link to the other thread with some good pics. and part number for the Holley part:

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28412-1970-ss…-edelbrock-air-gap-clear-stock-hood/#comment-260243

Part as it comes from Holley:

20230823_101420.jpg

Cut a little bit off for air cleaner base clearance:

20230823_101703.jpg

TIG welded up, new hole drilled and painted black:

20230823_113129.jpg

Installed:

20230823_114459.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 10:25 PM, jft69z said:

Hello There!

Been here for a few weeks and figured it was time to give a proper hello. My name is Joe T. and have loved Montes from an early age. First car was a 72 Monte, Mohave gold/black interior, 350. Sold that and found another 72 Monte Custom, Mohave gold/saddle interior this time when I was stationed at Keesler AFB on the Mississippi gulf coast in the early 80's. Built a 350 LT-1 motor for that in my barracks room (roommate wasn't too pleased). Eventually car ended up with a 4-speed setup and after that a GM crate motor 454 LS6. Time moves on and eventually turned the car back to stock, sold it in the mid-late 90's, but kept the 454, 4-speed parts & 12 bolt posi w/4.11 gears. VIN was 1H57H2R587886 btw if anyone knows whatever happened to it.

Well, the 454 was at my Mom's house for all those years but ended up at my shop after her passing last year. Now that thing has been staring at me like it needed a new home. Cleaned it all up and made a table out of it, but apparently that's not good enough... So the search began. Ended up finding another 72 Custom, same color scheme as the last one, but this one is a 402 BB, out of California. Car was delivered Monday, just before the blizzard we're presently having here in Western NY. Appears to be a numbers matching car so far, but someone put headers and a cam in it. Plans for the car are to probably pull the body off the frame to clean everything up real nice. Probably do a compression check on the motor before pulling it out to see the condition and decide from there its fate. May go back in, or may be an end table.

Car has the original window sticker, but not sure about a build sheet yet. Tried looking on the gas tank, but nothing obvious until I drop it (shoved a borescope camera along the top ribs but no luck). If anyone has a history of this one, the VIN is 1H57U2L542406

So far I've been pouring over the website sections and have gained a boatload of useful info specific to these cars, so thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Here's a few pics of the old one, the end table, and a couple of the new one, not much chance to get deep into it yet.

Thanks again for the info you guys share here and hopefully I can help others as well.

Joe T.

My 2nd Monte, this one a Custom, 1983 maybe. At Lowry AFB for advanced electronics training before going overseas:

20190113_200926.jpg

Same car, with Centerlines after I got out of the Air Force. May have the LS6 in it by now:

20190113_200952.jpg

The LS6 from the above car. Next stop, the new car below.

20190112_192011.jpg

Just delivered, 72 Custom with a 402, TH400, 12 bolt posi.

20190129_142933.jpg

Original window sticker for the car:

6250-MMS-1548017108184-attachment1-1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo5.jpg

Won't be long, it'll be a pile of parts soon:

20190129_142830.jpg

Man, how do you keep your shop so clean!!!!!  That is a nice SHOP!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

Man, how do you keep your shop so clean!!!!!  That is a nice SHOP!

Thanks Dale!

I don't like too much clutter around, but don't go up in the attics 😁.

After I quit doing a lot of collision/paint work, I cleaned up the shop & repainted the floors & walls. That helps keep it looking better. I posted a pic a few days ago that showed how it looked with years of overspray on the floors, and it got worse after that.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29264-support-off-frame/#comment-261109

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jft69z said:

After I quit doing a lot of collision/paint work, I cleaned up the shop & repainted the floors & walls. That helps keep it looking better. I posted a pic a few days ago that showed how it looked with years of overspray on the floors, and it got worse after that.

Easy to keep clean when the majority of your time is on the recliner or in the hot tub 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Easy to keep clean when the majority of your time is on the recliner or in the hot tub 🤣

There's always that...

• Like 5

Shifted gears last week (no pun intended, as you'll see).

Picked up a new winter bike a couple weeks ago, A TREK FX Sport 6. All carbon fiber frame & wheels, etc. Got this after getting a new road bike earlier in the summer that's completely all carbon (frame, wheels, seat post, handle bars & stem, etc). That one has electronic & wireless shifting for front & rear derailleurs, fully programmable and tunable with a laptop. (Both are pedal bikes, NO E-assist motor to help move along, that's cheating, lol)

Anyways, I like the electronic shifting so much with the other one, I decided to modify the brand new bike with a bunch of new bits to convert it, as well as change the front and rear gear ratios to better suit my needs (less focus on hill climbing, more on road speed). Just can't leave things well enough alone around here.

All high end parts plus the associated wires, wireless unit, junctions, battery (hidden in seat post tube), PC interface unit, chain ring, rear cassette, etc.

If you would have told me 20 years ago I'd be tuning a bicycle with a laptop, I'd have told you to put down the crack pipe 😁.

20230915_122349.jpg

20230912_111826.jpg

20230912_111651.jpg

20230912_111714.jpg

• Like 7

I am with you Steve, i need directions just to open the lap top!!!

Nice going Joe, She looks Great but i am not sure if any carbon fiber bike could make it down here, the roads suck in the city!!!   Bright side your out of the hot tub and not eating your chips!!!  lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, willie said:

i am not sure if any carbon fiber bike could make it down here, the roads suck in the city!!!   

Roads suck here too, but these frames & wheels soak it up pretty good. Plus, the frame and wheels come with a lifetime warranty, go figure.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

Shifted gears last week (no pun intended, as you'll see).

Picked up a new winter bike a couple weeks ago, A TREK FX Sport 6. All carbon fiber frame & wheels, etc. Got this after getting a new road bike earlier in the summer that's completely all carbon (frame, wheels, seat post, handle bars & stem, etc). That one has electronic & wireless shifting for front & rear derailleurs, fully programmable and tunable with a laptop. (Both are pedal bikes, NO E-assist motor to help move along, that's cheating, lol)

Anyways, I like the electronic shifting so much with the other one, I decided to modify the brand new bike with a bunch of new bits to convert it, as well as change the front and rear gear ratios to better suit my needs (less focus on hill climbing, more on road speed). Just can't leave things well enough alone around here.

All high end parts plus the associated wires, wireless unit, junctions, battery (hidden in seat post tube), PC interface unit, chain ring, rear cassette, etc.

If you would have told me 20 years ago I'd be tuning a bicycle with a laptop, I'd have told you to put down the crack pipe 😁.

Damn Joe 🤣Impressive for sure 

I hate technology so I'll just stick with my beach cruiser 🤣

image.png.af75cceb622e2931e5a1923080cae511.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Damn Joe 🤣Impressive for sure 

I hate technology so I'll just stick with my beach cruiser 🤣

Thanks Mark, you know I like all that high-tech stuff 🙂.

Funny, considering you're an IT tech though 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, willie said:

I am with you Steve, i need directions just to open the lap top!!!

Nice going Joe, She looks Great but i am not sure if any carbon fiber bike could make it down here, the roads suck in the city!!!   Bright side your out of the hot tub and not eating your chips!!!  lol

Willie, I'm sure he got a basket for the chips during the ride 🤣

image.thumb.png.5a1fe22307ee04b6ccc2ea3e3447bd30.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Willie, I'm sure he got a basket for the chips during the ride 🤣

Nope, would add unnecessary weight to the bike.

I usually sit in the La-Z-Boy chair and eat the chips right after the ride (for real, a lot of times. Replenish the salt I sweat out, that's my thought process anyways, lol)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I just went for about a 95 mile ride in the Monte, needed to clear my head, didn't help much but I did get a nice ride in my car 😀

A bag of chips after the ride is my recommendation to complete the experience.

Case in point...

20230916_144506.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, jft69z said:

A bag of chips after the ride is my recommendation to complete the experience.

Case in point...

Joe something tells me you are not eating them all!!!! I am sure your handing some off!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, willie said:

Joe something tells me you are not eating them all!!!! I am sure your handing some off!!!

Nope.

She'll crawl all over me looking for crumbs though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, jft69z said:

Nope, would add unnecessary weight to the bike.

I usually sit in the La-Z-Boy chair and eat the chips right after the ride (for real, a lot of times. Replenish the salt I sweat out, that's my thought process anyways, lol)

I'll give ya props tho on the miles you ride, I'm usually done on my cruiser at 15 🤣

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, willie said:

Joe you need a little fridge next to it, chips on top and cold water below!!!!  lol   Then you never have to get up, only to replenish!!!   lol

Sadly, no more chips in my diet, but its still a great idea!

20 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I have one of them dorm size refrigerators if you want it 🤣

I have one in the shop, but suppose another one wouldn't be a bad idea 😁

• Like 2