71 MC. Just purchased. Have Questions.

Seeings as my carb has been compromised does it appear I would still have the necessary linkage to hook up a proper Carb such as said one. Im also looking to replace the air filter and inline fuel filter. I dont mind paying a little more for a significant diff in performance. I also care not about fuel efficiency.

Take that holley off, install the new holley 750 vacuum secondary using the same linkage and fuel line. Some of the vacuum ports may be in different locations but nothing I feel you can't handle.

Just make sure you use the constant vacuum port for the transmission modulator and the "ported" vacuum port for the vacuum advance on the distributor. 

• Like 1

I was expecting to see maybe some shavings of scarring. Maybe even a lil sludge. Nothing. I did notice the harmonic balancer doesnt seem off balance its self but the crank belt pulley has a wobble while running. Power steering pump has a constant faint wine. Electric fan has a inline fuse thats blown. Just wondering what u guys can say about it now that you can atleast see the head. Thx. 

William.

This was a message i apparently nvr sent. When i sent the other

20210127_175034.jpg

You need to change the fuse and get the fan working so you don't overheat the engine and possibly cause damage. 

The engine looks clean inside. 

The pulley wobble, with stock pulleys is normal. 

The whine, sounds like a gear drive. My son HAD one in his small block. The whine gets old fast. 

Sorry, tried 2x and the video won't download, only the sound. 🤔😡🤬

William, I think you stole that thing ! Great deal...I know everyone has commented on the 1970 front bumper , BUT, so you are aware as I saw you mention in an earlier post, that you read " that the 1971 should have square headlights. " Not sure if you mispoke , but just so you dont think the whole front end is frankensteined its just the front bumper. The 1970 front bumper has the round directional, which you have now, the 1971 has a rectangle directional. Not a big deal right now change some day if you wish , but priority, get it running and driving and enjoy it, make changes as you go .. good luck look forward to see it progress . 

Ironic is the first statement of the previous reply lol. Just went to transfer title. Had to get a Officer to come out to verify vin. It was a Pa title. I live in Fl. After the first 7 numbers it doesnt match the title. He tried looking up the vin and nothing comes up. He said he believes the vin looks authentic and the title doesnt appear fraudulent. Titles from previous owner from 1994. Then 1976 before that. He even said the Pa inspection stickers look authentic. He told me he was lost on what to do as well. He didnt even want to question the Po, my neighbor which was home, he thinks its a typo but really had no clue what action to take and reffered me to ask you guys. All magic comes with a price lol. So Im open to suggestions. Thx

William

The registration on NY vehicles before 73 is also the title. It MUST say Transferable on it or if you sell it, the next owner won't be able to title it. Ask me how I know. Lol

If you have a 73 or up, look at your registration and it will say Non-transferable because of the addition of the separate title. 

Well dude, I hate to be a Debbie Downer but your in a pickle for sure. Fl dmv is very picky especially with VIN # / titles. I would start with a visit to the local FHP, Sheriff's office for advice but i'm pretty sure the seller is going to have to do something on their side in Pa. (maybe this form or similar http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Forms/mv-41.pdf ) And just a heads up if you get that straightened out, your also going to have submit Fl dmv form 82050 signed by you and the seller to get your new title and plates. Good Luck 

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Don’t spend another dime or turn a wrench on that car till you get the title straitened out. Be prepared to remove parts put on in case this turns out bad. My opinion 

Good advice, unfortunately.

Well thats all a little disheartening. Lets say... I got it "vin checked" then unfortunately my vin tag got damaged.. I would have the certification. Could i get a replacement vin? Asking for a friend... Cough cough..

2 hours ago, GraniteGuy88 said:

Well thats all a little disheartening. Lets say... I got it "vin checked" then unfortunately my vin tag got damaged.. I would have the certification. Could i get a replacement vin? Asking for a friend... Cough cough..

This is what was done in California to mine. All legit. I have state patrol paperwork. But if you find that guy,cough cough, that makes PROPER vin tags let me know. I’ve been looking for 9 months. Can’t tell by the pic but they riveted it to the door jamb

D3622E8D-991E-4BEF-B12D-7170C0726297.png

A0899FE5-0729-40B3-91EA-ADFE424D37B0.png

So i have a game plan. Either way I drove it for the first time today. Ran great, very responsive. Brakes are a little hard. Turns easy but turns like a RV. Only thing I worried a lil about or thats weird to me is the shifting. Drove it 2x. First time acted funny about shifting in and out of third. Needs a transmission pan gasket change. Slow leak. Second trip. Topped off fluid and air in the tires. Shifted alot smoother but it sounds like its winding out in third and im guessing im only going around 40-50. I wasnt exactly trying to push it though. It doesnt have a tac and I think the speed odometer is a lil crazy. It just shifts really fast but youre not going really fast. In third going 55mph whats a typical Rpm? It needs a revamp fluid/filter change. I also fixed the fan/fuse and its working way better than expected. Someone suggested taking the fan off the front. Would it still have adequate cooling with just the electric fan? Is there any other advantage beside saving fingers? Also have a wettish rear pumpkin. Need gasket. And that damn PW steering pump changes tone with every shift. Someone said it would get annoying. It did. Anyways. Just a update for u guys.

Ty guys for all the help.

William.

Glad the maiden voyage went well. Check to see if you have constant vacuum going to the transmission vacuum modulator from the carb. (most likely) 

Glad the electric fan is working good. I was the one who mentioned to take the mechanical fan off. It ain't doing squat! You will also pick up some hp without it. I know you're not looking for more, but it's a small bonus. That and not loosing fingers. 

The rear end may have steep gears in it. Like 3.73, 4.10. if you are going to change the rear cover gasket, count the teeth on the ring hear and the pinion and divide to get the ratio. 

I will take a clip from startup to finish tomorrow and pray it uploads. I goosed it one time just to see. One of them now or nothing moments and from a stop 6oish% pedal and it squatted pretty hard and went through first and second in just a few seconds but third... Felt like 90mph rmp only going 45. I can only imagine one i get the new carb. The vacuum you mentioned, would it have a effect on shifting? Because it feels like the speed maxs out at 55. Or Id be afraid to push it past 45 or so not knowing the rev limit or having a tac. Put it like that.just felt the engine rom didnt justify the speed.

Hey William, glad your having fun. I'm going to ditto park it till ya get the title straightened out, otherwise you could end up with some expensive lawn art.

Yes poor vacuum to the modulator will affect shifting. Also you can quickly guesstimate the rear gearing by lifting the back of the car up, and seeing how many times the driveshaft turns to 1 complete cycle of the rear tire. 

You could also feel some weird shifting if there is a big converter, i'm going to guess from the pictures the PO used this for a little more than a daily driver lol 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Glad the electric fan is working good. I was the one who mentioned to take the mechanical fan off. It ain't doing squat! You will also pick up some hp without it. I know you're not looking for more, but it's a small bonus. That and not loosing fingers. 

Tom, yes you had mentioned that but I had already beat you to it.    :rofl::rofl::yay::yay:

Just razzing you buddy

rob

• Like 1