Identification question for car. regarding chrome strips.

After I got my car I started look up information about these cars and I noticed that mine has these chrome strips half was up the car that I haven't seen on any other car, I don't know if it was an option I just cant find anything about of if they are not supposed to be there and were aftermarket. I just haven't been able to find any other cars with this stuff on it. Thanks.

1100525551_chrome2.thumb.jpg.5f18d3937c0ba9db295fb101513e1850.jpgChrome.thumb.jpg.275097787e047d368304adb97051190e.jpg

• Like 1

Dealerships would put install these bodyside moldings after the sale. We sold a bunch of them. Some were just glued on but some companies would drill and rivet on the tracks and they would eventually start to rust. I never really liked the look myself. I would remove them and forget them. 

3 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

I definitely don't see those as being an enhancement.  They actually take away from the beautiful bodylines that can only be found on a First Gen Monte. 

Yea I defiantly agree I just wanted to know so if they were stock I could put them back on but I don't like them and its rusted bad under it.

3 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Dealerships would put install these bodyside moldings after the sale. We sold a bunch of them. Some were just glued on but some companies would drill and rivet on the tracks and they would eventually start to rust. I never really liked the look myself. I would remove them and forget them. 

Defiantly going to do that, I wanted to know if they were stock because otherwise they aren't good and they make it rust so thanks, going in the pile of unusable stuff now.

• Like 1

They were popular back in the mid 60's to mid 70's to protect your paint from idiots in parking lots who would insist upon throwing their doors open onto the side of your car.

rob

12 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

They were popular back in the mid 60's to mid 70's to protect your paint from idiots in parking lots who would insist upon throwing their doors open onto the side of your car.

rob

I figured that's what they would of been for, thanks!

On 2/4/2022 at 12:07 PM, Scott S. said:

That's a lot of little holes with the potential for rust.... :(

More then potential, we took it off and yea its bad in some spots, but nothing we cant fix, just lots of work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GideonBowles said:

More then potential, we took it off and yea its bad in some spots, but nothing we cant fix, just lots of work.

That's part of the charm of owning an older car..... Always something to keep you busy. :)

• Like 1