Remove trunk side molding

Remove the end cap nuts, 4 of them, inside the trunk. Remove entire end cap and then remove the nuts to remove the trim.  Sorry, easiest way to remove the trim without damaging it. 

• Like 1

Mine is being painted in pieces, because of the extensive bodywork it needed, but I believe they are going to paint the body with the trunk lid installed. The front clip is in pieces, so they will paint each piece separate. 

I would ask your bodyshop what they recommend. 

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 71SSclone said:

Mine is being painted in pieces, because of the extensive bodywork it needed, but I believe they are going to paint the body with the trunk lid installed. The front clip is in pieces, so they will paint each piece separate. 

I would ask your bodyshop what they recommend. 

John

Well I’m defo not taking the doors off, and that’s good news if a body shop can get it painted with the trunk lid on.  I think I can get a good coat on the hood edges with the hood open, then close it to finish the job with 2 or 3 coats. Open again for clear and rinse & repeat. My main fear is bugs & spiders falling off the shed roof while the clear is flashing 🕷️ 

2 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Staple a BIG sheet of plastic or a tarp to the ceiling and let it hang down the walls. 

That's exactly what I did years ago when I turned the 2 car garage I was working out of, into a spray booth of sorts. I painted my Camaro in there.

Genius. I can get those big dust sheets they sell for painting your house. Shame my compressor is only 7 gallons! I guess it will just take a little longer with a little lvlp spray gun. I’m not in a rush. How did your Camaro turn out?

Just now, cny first gen 71 said:

Oh yea I sprayed in the morning also, if you wait until evening there's more chance of flying insects getting in the paint.

Yep, I still have a mosquito 'fossil' on the trunk lid, because I had to repaint it and didn't want to wait until morning. He was so big, there was no wet sanding him out, and using the tweezers didn't get all the parts and pieces, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crom Cruach said:

How did your Camaro turn out?

Painted it in 1990, DuPont base/clear. First car I ever painted.

20230826_194845.jpg

20230826_194809.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Yep, I still have a mosquito 'fossil' on the trunk lid, because I had to repaint it and didn't want to wait until morning. He was so big, there was no wet sanding him out, and using the tweezers didn't get all the parts and pieces, lol.

Yea that really sucks

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yea that really sucks

It did, and still does, 😁.

I could have fixed it easily enough over the years, just wasn't on the list of things to do. 

I got better over the years of fixing defects on the fly (no pun intended). 30 years of painting, you're bound to pick up a few tricks along the way.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

20230826_194845.jpg

20230826_194809.jpg

Yeah… I coulda done better with a roller and a horsehair brush.  

• Haha 1
  • Kook 1

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

Holy smoke what a beauty, thanks for setting the bar so high!

I’ve gone from this:

IMG_8439.thumb.jpeg.db60ec50fd025e39c67fa4d411e43b9d.jpeg

to this:

IMG_8458.thumb.jpeg.c894d2effba0024e286d3224eb696e79.jpeg

with fibreglass and epoxy primer. Getting rid of all the rust first , then epoxy primer, high-build primer, then paint, insect layer, clear, ask I missing anything? 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Yeah… I coulda done better with a roller and a horsehair brush.  

This....from the guy who can't properly tighten a hose clamp.....

Actually, I would tell people I'd use a roller and a gallon of Home Depot paint when they complained about estimates to get their car refinished. Told them I'd use the short nap roller, and would throw in the racing strips for free, using another roller.

4 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

Holy smoke what a beauty, thanks for setting the bar so high!

I’ve gone from this:

to this:

with fibreglass and epoxy primer. Getting rid of all the rust first , then epoxy primer, high-build primer, then paint, insect layer, clear, ask I missing anything? 

Thank you!

Sounds like you're on the right track. It's all in the prep work, and there's no real shortcuts in that process.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Remember, fyi, in case you didn't know...... The panel between the bumper and grille is supposed to be silver/argent from the factory if that is how you are going to paint your car. 

• Like 3