Small block headers

SPLATT71MC

I'm in the process of getting my new 355sbc ready to go into the car and hit a snag. The Summit Racing long tube headers i bought fit terribly with the plugs and plug wires specifically #6 though #5 isn't great either. I just ordered some shorty plugs but if that doesn't take care of the issue and massaging the pipes don't work I'm cutting my losses and getting a different brand of header. I'm open to just about any brand and would like to stick to long tube but open to mid length as well. My budget is $1k and less.

• Sad 1

We have always had good success with headman headers for a small block. That is what we used on our "Covid" Monte. Although upon closer inspection these may be hooker. Either way you can use a standard length sparkplug with both. Maybe Kevin will see this (Owner of the "Covid" Monte presently) and clarify what make they are. 

IMG_20200422_131919.jpg

IMG_20200504_173318.jpg

• Like 6

Just a suggestion....Use the search engine in the forum. There is a lot of history and posts on headers over the years. Be warned, I had a legal pad full of notes when I did that, brands, model numbers, and fitment. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Just a suggestion....Use the search engine in the forum. There is a lot of history and posts on headers over the years. Be warned, I had a legal pad full of notes when I did that, brands, model numbers, and fitment. 

I didn’t realize small block headers fit the new suburban. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not sure what brand my headers are, they came with the car. But the problem is the same. 

Had to unbolt them and went with the short plugs (NGK) as well. 

Guess that's why so many members prefer big blocks.....LOL

Just now, Scott S. said:

Not sure what brand my headers are, they came with the car. But the problem is the same. 

Had to unbolt them and went with the short plugs (NGK) as well. 

lha10.thumb.jpg.b47429157e3cb547484b16b6ec1695ed.jpglha12.thumb.jpg.76ee55ee6ca2b62916f66c3885213c85.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dtret said:

I didn’t realize small block headers fit the new suburban. 😆

The exhaust cut-outs are more of a problem 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Well I got 3 sets of different spark plug sockets for mine, but I'm ok with that 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DragCat said:

I did some digging but didn't find a lot of sbc header info, at least as far as I dug.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SPLATT71MC said:

I did some digging but didn't find a lot of sbc header info, at least as far as I dug.

I think the not too distant past conversations were more big block related, and ARH (American Racing Header) was discussed more often than not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

I think the not too distant past conversations were more big block related, and ARH (American Racing Header) was discussed more often than not.

I would love to get a set of the ARH headers but it's a bit rich for me.

52 minutes ago, SPLATT71MC said:

I would love to get a set of the ARH headers but it's a bit rich for me.

They are pretty darn nice though...🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DragCat said:

They tuck up nice and close too. Just saying 

Absolutely. They can not be seen from the side of the car. In fact, they sit higher than the oil pan. You won't see that with Hooker headers (well actually, you WILL see them, because they hang down so low 😁).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SPLATT71MC said:

I think I'm going to make the ones I have work for now but save up for the ARH headers down the road.

I don't think they have a set for small blocks, but I'll check.

Looks like big block only for Monte, but they do list a set for Chevelle. Sometimes the two don't interchange so well. I'd call them to see if they have something that's not listed, or if the Chevelle ones would work.

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/classic-gm/products/chevy-a-body-small-block-1964-1977-headers

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I don't think they have a set for small blocks, but I'll check.

Looks like big block only for Monte, but they do list a set for Chevelle. Sometimes the two don't interchange so well. I'd call them to see if they have something that's not listed, or if the Chevelle ones would work.

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/classic-gm/products/chevy-a-body-small-block-1964-1977-headers

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely contact them before buying.

• Like 2

just installed hooker headers on raised port heads. fit very well. #5 #6 plugs a little easier (not a lot). i use different sockets and a modified 5/8 offset wrench. hopefully h pipe clears driveshaft. raised exhaust 1/2 inch. i used accell short plugs per friends advice. barley shorter but seemed alittle easier over all

• Like 2