Trunk paint

I plan on sanding off the surface rust and repainting my trunk this spring/summer. My question is what is the correct color combo for trunk paint for a 70 Monte? In looking at the inner fenders and such in my trunk, it looks like they used gray/white, but I've also seen gray/black and aqua/black combos being advertised as being "correct". It looks like most of the trunk mats are aqua/black (which I also need to get). Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

My Van Nuys-built '70 is still sporting the factory trunk finish and it's gray/white - with a whole lot more gray than there is white. The original trunk mat was gone before I bought the car, however.

Yeah, it seems that information about this is conflicting. Maybe if we get a few more replies we'll have a consensus. Rich should be checking in later. Anyone else? wink

Dave

• 2 months later...

Lets' get this going again....any info on the proper color combo???

The guy that I bought my '70 from claims that it is black aqua...so he started it in that then never finished.

I want to finish it this summer.

A correct answer would help

MY last 2 1971's had/have black and agua trunk paint....One was built in Canada and the other in CA. Both were early production cars. I know that this information doesn't really help with your 1970 but I just wanted to add my 2cents......lol.

Seriously, I'm sure Leo would agree that GM used whatever they had at the time.....so their all "correct". But I like the black/agua because it goes best with the trunk mat...IMO....

Steve

gray/white on all of my 70s'. They are all early production and all built in Van Nuys. They probably used whatever they had on the shelf.

• 2 months later...

When I redid my 1972 trunk using black aqua with a spray gun vs. rattle can paint, I had to let it set up about 2 weeks before I put anything on the trunk floor. It was a water base paint and the cure time required the trunklid to remain open and breath for that period of time to ensure a good bond and cure. It has been over a year since done and looks as new as when repainted. Of course, if you take this approach, don't forget to disconnect the trunk light bulb in the interim or you will have a surprise like I did!!

100_1002.jpg

When I redid my 1972 trunk using black aqua with a spray gun vs. rattle can paint, I had to let it set up about 2 weeks before I put anything on the trunk floor. It was a water base paint and the cure time required the trunklid to remain open and breath for that period of time to ensure a good bond and cure. It has been over a year since done and looks as new as when repainted. Of course, if you take this approach, don't forget to disconnect the trunk light bulb in the interim or you will have a surprise like I did!!

Did you clear coat it or are you going to? It does look great though!

No, didn't and have not planned for a clear coat. Frankly, I hopefully won't put anything in the trunk that will cause me any grief. I did recently purchase a repop trunk mat and that should be sufficient.

Doug

I finally had my car out this weekend. My original trunk paint looks just like the green 70ss on e-bay. Don't know what to call it, dark grey & white? His and mine are both early 70 Van Nuys cars. Mine is Dec 69.