Package tray replacement

How difficult is it to replace the package tray?

Mine has two 6×9 speaker grills on the top, is this original, or we're the speakers mounted underneath without a grill? My tray needs replacing and I would like it to be as original looking as possible.

It is original to have 6x9s mounted from underneath and speaker grills on top. The grill colour should match the package tray.

It takes time but not difficult. The back seat, armrest and rear door panels need to come off. Remove speakers and grills.  Remove the rear defogger if you have one. Remove the two small corner pieces at the lower corners of the rear window. Be careful as these corner pieces can be brittle and break. The package tray should be able to be pulled out at this point.

There should be some jute padding under the cardboard tray. You can decide if you want to reuse that or buy new padding. Install the new package tray and get it lined up where it should be. Make sure it is right before you cut the speaker holes. I drill the 4 holes for the speaker grill studs first. Then install a screw and nut in the 8 holes to keep the tray in place while I get a sharp knife to cut the speaker holes. Cut the rear defogger holes if necessary. Install speakers and rear defogger. 

You will need to glue down the vinyl to the sheet metal behind the seat. I use contact cement for this.

Reinstall the rest of the interior.

Take your time and make sure it is lined up right before cutting holes.

• Like 2

OPGI or CARS Inc may have them. Be sure you get the proper colour. The mesh style ones are not factory. Here’s mine but note I have not painted my grills to match.

IMG_2645.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

It is original to have 6x9s mounted from underneath and speaker grills on top. The grill colour should match the package tray.

It takes time but not difficult. The back seat, armrest and rear door panels need to come off. Remove speakers and grills.  Remove the rear defogger if you have one. Remove the two small corner pieces at the lower corners of the rear window. Be careful as these corner pieces can be brittle and break. The package tray should be able to be pulled out at this point.

There should be some jute padding under the cardboard tray. You can decide if you want to reuse that or buy new padding. Install the new package tray and get it lined up where it should be. Make sure it is right before you cut the speaker holes. I drill the 4 holes for the speaker grill studs first. Then install a screw and nut in the 8 holes to keep the tray in place while I get a sharp knife to cut the speaker holes. Cut the rear defogger holes if necessary. Install speakers and rear defogger. 

You will need to glue down the vinyl to the sheet metal behind the seat. I use contact cement for this.

Reinstall the rest of the interior.

Take your time and make sure it is lined up right before cutting holes.

You mentioned those lower corner pieces. Is there a good source for those as both of mine are missing. In black of course.

11 minutes ago, kpcsgasp said:

You mentioned those lower corner pieces. Is there a good source for those as both of mine are missing. In black of course.

Try Koniks Klassiks

5 hours ago, kpcsgasp said:

I’m sure I have some. Where is another question. Let me know and I’ll try and dig some out. 

Grant,

Early Birds in Barrie,Ont carries them..... He mass orders from Parts Place, as well as others. Saves on the duties. 

I paid about $35.00 cdn for them last year. Plus about $12.00 cdn for shipping.

Black, of course. 

Scott

4 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Grant,

Early Birds in Barrie,Ont carries them..... He mass orders from Parts Place, as well as others. Saves on the duties. 

I paid about $35.00 cdn for them last year. Plus about $12.00 cdn for shipping.

Black, of course. 

Scott

He ships with Canada Post... They arrived in the plastic bag in a cardboard box. 

Interesting topic.

I replaced mine over 33 years ago when a neighbor, who had just replaced it on his Chevelle, offered to make one for my 71 Monte Carlo.

He worked for Chevrolet, at the Warren Tech Center in Michigan, and used some of the new 1980's style material, I call "Scotch Brite" but black.

It has held up perfectly all these years. I also still have the ORIGINAL one in my basement just incase I ever want to change it again.

No speaker grills were required. 

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grant MacPherson said:

And, no damage?

Thanks

Never had one arrive damaged to BC

• Like 1