cutting dash

robs70monte

Hey guys i have a brand new jvc cd player/radio still in the box and my Monte has some old broken A track player i want to cut the dash but i dont know how to go about it i thought about tracing the insert on the dash around the old radio and drilling a 3/8 hole in the corner and using a fine hack saw blade to cut it out but i dont want to [you said a naughty!] my dash up what do you guys think i know some one here has cut there dash

Sorry, I never cut a dash. I have a question for you, what is an "A" track player? At first I assumed you were being funny then I thought, what if you didn't know it was called an 8 (eight) track player. A poor sounding pain in the butt late 60's attempt to replace vinyl records and allow us to take music with us in our cars. A long "one piece" loop of recording tape with 4 different grooves (for lack of a better term) recorded in 2 (two) track or stereo or 2 x 4 = 8 gaining it's name. Then came cassette players, that could be fast forwarded and rewound! Perhaps you just hit the wrong key.

Bruce

Ya i meant to say 8 (eight) track player sorry there a bit before my time,it doesn't work so it has to go theirs a few 8 track tapes in it it looks like a big cassette tape cant believe any one ever used them

Is it an OEM Chevrolet radio 8 track player? Don't toss it if it is, some people want them. Good luck.

There are cracks around the radio knobs and it has some chips around it im not to worried about keeping the dash original i have a few other round style chevelle and Monte dashes i like the glove box idea i have a cb mounted in the glove box of my k5 blazer might go that route

Well if the dash knobs are cracked then i would go with mounting it in the dash. I put a JVC in my glove box but i had to cut half the back out. it wasnt hard but it's one of those things where you half to way all options and figure what is best. I'm actually really glad i did the glove box because i actually have the unit sitting far enough back that i can close and lock the glovebox for extra security.

ps. if you do the glove box make sure your unit has a remote. sucks leaning over to turn the volume up and done.

For the metal part, I used a cut off wheel,and file on the corners, but it was off of the dash when I did it. The plastic dash itself I used a small coping saw, if I had air tools at home I would have used the air saw Sam mentioned

I tried to put a cassette player in it i got with the car didn't work so i started cutting, Well tried a hack saw blade to cut the metal didn't work so i pulled out the cut off wheel and started cutting away then i trimmed it with the hack saw blade and filled down all the sharp edges looks pretty good the it wired in nice and easy my station didn't come in(92.1)will see what happens on the road with it

101_1323.jpg

101_1324.jpg

101_1325.jpg

101_1326.jpg

101_1327.jpg

101_1328.jpg

101_1329.jpg

101_1331.jpg