How Long Do Drag Radials Last.....

Monteman1971

I would guess until I got through my last burnout..... But seriously, anyone have an idea when Drag Radials will stop working at the track?

My Mickey Thompson Street Drag Radials are down to the wear indicators (maybe a little past...lol) so I'm wondering if I need to buy new ones or will I get one more day at the track with them in September......Think they'll still "hook"?

Thanks

Steve

depends on how heavy your right foot is.

seriuosly, the wear mark is there for a reason. we never let our tires get to the marks.

$3-$400 is alot less then what you would loose if they let go, especially at the big end.

jm2cents.

thanh

Good thought Thanh.... I'm sure even at the wear mark the tires are safe. I've been surfing and have found guys running them down to the steel belts (although I would never even consider or attempt that). The real questions is will they still "hook" like they did when they were new.

There isn't a lot of tread on these tires when new so if I'm only going to make 5 or 6 passes, do I really need to mess up a new set of tires for it?

Steve the stickiness of the tire has to do with the rubber compound they were molded with. With drag radials they are made of a soft sticky compound. The tread compound remains the same down to the steel belts.

As Clint Eastwood would say, "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY ............." Did I make 6 passes or only 5 ??

LINK:

I wouldn't take the chance, personally. If you end up like hot lap Al on race day you'll be in trouble.

Dan

I have heard guys at the track say that is when the tires really start working their best is when the tread is pretty much gone...how true it is I don't know first hand but I have heard it from quite a few people. Now I definately wouldn't drive them on the street when they are at that point though... wink

I would think you would be fine with them as long as there is a tiny bit of tread showing...how those guys run them beyond that and keep track how much rubber is actually there before the steel belt shows would be impossible and dangerous.

I have heard guys at the track say that is when the tires really start working their best is when the tread is pretty much gone...how true it is I don't know first hand but I have heard it from quite a few people. Now I definately wouldn't drive them on the street when they are at that point though... wink

I would think you would be fine with them as long as there is a tiny bit of tread showing...how those guys run them beyond that and keep track how much rubber is actually there before the steel belt shows would be impossible and dangerous.

ditto

my racer buddy said they don't get good until they are half gone and I've got over 3000 miles on mine

Steve here is what MT says in their FAQ's.....I have talked to Hoosier as well and they said the compounds will change as they heat cycle (get harder and break down). Will yours work, probably, but not as good as a new set. Guys who say they're better when they're worn down are smokin' something illegal....

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/faqpage.php?faq=32

wink

Steve, all things being equal a radial tire is a bit faster (not 3mph however)...but.....radial drag tires are a blessing and a curse. First they are a bit faster because of their construction and they do not grow at speed, however they are a tricky tire to use. They are very sensitive to air pressure, track temp, track condition and suspension.

In your case I would wagger the car will be faster with the slicks...one because they will hook with more consistency and two because they are 26" which is going to give you a better final gear ratio.

The first couple of burnouts with the slicks should be fairly good ones, you need to get the air in the tire to stablize and at least be equal to the ambient outside air temp. After that a light burnout just to clean the tires. I would try something around 14 lbs to start and adjust in half pound increments up or down. If possible have someone look at your burnout patch to see what air pressure gives you the best contact.... wink

Originally Posted By: Monteman1971
Quote:
How many burnouts does it take to get to the center of a Drag Tire?

The world may never know.

I'll let you know....lol

That would lead to a repair on the quarter panel eek

ya but he has the ability to fix it kicking

I like to change them out as soon as I lose that little bit of tread they do have. I average around 100 good passes on Bu. MT Drag Radials are rated at 10k miles but I have never seen much past 500 at best. Like most trailered race cars it hasn't seen street duty past a cruise night ih 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

In street driving I've gotten a full summer (5000 miles or so) on a set with a few drag strip passes. The problem with the Mickeys is they need to be HOT to work so you really burn them up at the track. As for when to replace them. The wear indicators are there for a reason but I've run well past them several times with no issues and the Cutlass traps in the 135/138 mph range so they are still safe at that point.

ditto

An old tire will not hook as good as a newer one. Good luck on Race day Steve!

Don't know about all that Jared. Back in March I did a track rental and picked up a four year old set of Mickey Drag Radials and the car hooked like it never has. Went high 1.50's all day. I think as long as they are kept out of the sun, tread depth is everything.