Some SS resto progress

overdrive

I was able to complete the first round of bodywork on the qtrs and the drvrs door last Sat. and then I shot the last of the panels with epoxy primer. Until last Sat., I hadn't driven it since last fall. It's good to have it all one color finally, even if it's only primer. I put most of the interior in and put the bumper and some trim back on and took it to our local club's yearly reunion cruise-in last night. Randy Wells (ss4ever) brought his beautiful 72 with the blower he recently installed and we were able to visit for awhile. We both put our cars in the muffler wrap contest but we didn't place. The judges were Ford guys. frown

Today's weather was perfect, so I fired up the air compressor and mixed up and sprayed some satin black on some small parts that I had blasted and primed before the heat and humidity got so ridiculously high. I bought a cheap gravity feed "touch up" gun from Lowe's last summer and it works great for small jobs like this.

Dan

398441027.jpg

398441028.jpg

Thanks. Yes, I'll shoot the body too. I really like painting, it's the body work that takes so much time and effort. I sprayed our 71 when my son and I changed it to black. Link to pics is here.. Actually on this car, I'm changing just the interior and vinyl top to black. I'm thinking either Fathom Blue or Ford Blue Flame Metallic for the body color.

Dan

Blue Flame Metallic: a>

Thanks, guys. I changed the color of the dash pad this evening using the SEM dye.

70mcarlo--- That truck looks real close to the color of your car on my monitor. Beautiful!

Quote:
I understand not painting it green but why not red?

That'll start something! There's nothing wrong with a red Monte, but I've had a red '71 402 4 spd Monte, a red and white '76 first gen Bronco and we have a red and white pickup and a '57 Belair 2 dr hardtop now. I've had a good number of cars and trucks and some were green, but never a blue one, other than 57 parts cars. It may be time for one. I thought seriously about orange or a burnt orange, but my wife turned her nose up. There's so many good looking Montes in this club that it's hard to decide on a color. My wife likes blue and I'd like to paint it a color we both like. I'm not real sure why.

Dan

Thanks Jared. As you can tell, I'm not hurrying. I bought an extra frame and I plan to get it powder coated this winter and then start building on it. Maybe I'll be able to paint it next summer.

Dan

Thanks Randy and Joe.

Randy, I think I heard earlier this year (probably from you) they had crushed the 2 cars you referred to. We had checked both frames and they weren't any good.

Joe, it ran great, but there's always room for more HP under that long Monte hood. smile

There was a group of locals that weren't in the club that did some burnouts after 95% of the crowd had gone home. One guy started doing doughnuts and it seemed like he was trying to blow up his later model V6 Camaro or Firebird. They were getting pretty wild and I left, for fear I or my car was going to get hit. I heard later that four police cruisers showed up right after I left.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday eve I started the cleaning and repainting the motor process. I haven't done anything to the motor since I got the car 4 yrs ago. Finished it last night and took it to it's first show and put it in the unfinished class. There's alot more work to do under the hood, but this is a start.

Met a few new guys that have or had first gens. A couple have some parts to sell and another has a 71 he's about ready to paint. I gave him a FGMCC card and he said he'll check out this site.

Dan

398750313.jpg

398750314.jpg