1970 454SS need help

Robarmelas454SS

ok, this is what I have the quadrajet 7041200

.....the fourth digit denotes year

Its a 1971 Rochester Carb for a 454 in a Monte. I believe that is the only number that existed in 1971 for a 454 in a Monte since emission were country-wide in 71. It is a part # not a date code.

1970 - 7040500

1971 - 7041500

Who knows. Since so few SS's built, especially with Cali emissions, and if it was a late build 1970 car maybe they grabbed a 71 carb if it was already available.

I would check the date code on the carb to see if its date coded prior to build date of your car. If it is that is likely what happened.

1 K 12 = October 12 1971

single digit year 0 - 1970 1- 1971

Then a letter A (Jan) through M (Dec) (no "I" because to close to 1)

Day of month

My steering wheel shroud is missing the emblem, did the 70 SS have the Monte Carlo or SS emblem ?

Mine had the SS emblem!

P6170106R.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I know ... it was neither standard nor an option for a 1970 SS454. But ... it was (and still is) on my SS car when I bought it. At first, it kinda bothered me because the rest of the car was completely original. After shopping around for an "original" wheel, I decided I'd repair the three cracks, repaint the silver highlights, detail it and keep it for awhile.

Now that I've done that (after the photo above was taken), I like the way it complements the SS emblem floor mats I also added. If I decide to replace it with an original wheel, I will swap in the original wheel from my other '70 which is in perfect condition and replace that one with a 3 or 4-spoke optional wheel.

I've been told this SS wheel is probably from a '69 or '70 Chevelle SS but I haven't verified that and really don't care where it came from.

Darren what is that plate that sits under the carb, I dont ever remember seeing anything like that before. Is that a big block thing or something added on?

I have one on my 68 but never knew they had them for Q Jets.

• 4 weeks later...

Al,

You need to get an assembly manual. The diagrams Darren posted are from the manual.

http://www.amazon.com/CHEVROLET-CHEVELLE-CAMINO-Assembly-Manual/dp/B0007IN9U8

It takes awhile to figure out how to read it, but it gives you part numbers, descriptions of everything and shows where almost everything goes. Every option on your build sheet is in this book.

Due to a small 25 year lag between taking my car apart and putting it back together, I'd have been in big trouple without this book.

3-hole punch it and put it in a 3 ring binder.

Darren what is that plate that sits under the carb, I dont ever remember seeing anything like that before. Is that a big block thing or something added on?

Hey Steve, that is a Factory GM Heat Sheild that was mounted under the carb to help deflect the heat from the intake manifold and keep it away from the fuel supply in order to help the carb run more smoother. As it sort of implies as Heat Sheild, If you scroll down to our Fore Sale section and look at the Triple Black 70 454ss car for sale in California right now from another member ..look real close at the engine picture just below the air cleaner on that number matching engine you will see his Factory heat sheild on the monte carlo there are 2 pics you can see it in. I really lucked out and found mine on Ebay listed as NOS in the GM envelope and scored it for $50.00 thats it... I have seen them on some small block cars as well but mainly on BB cars...I still have my GM manual handy so if you need anymore pics or info as I posted before dont hesitate to ask as well as anyone else please feel free to ask away.... smile any other help I can give ?? if you want the GM number off that sheild let me know and I will get it for you...

Darren.

Here is an actual picture Steve of it on my car rather than just on the intake still on the bench.. The engine has 300 miles on it now and No leaks at all from the sheild and she ran just fine, lots have pointed it out and the same thing was said.. wow didnt know they had those things or that they came with them..Just another OEM thing I had to have as for some sick reason that OEM thing just bugs me, silly eh.???

Look real close just to the left of the valve cover breather tube that goes into the carb you will just see the plate.

Darren.

mrgobi044.jpg

Hi Al , welcome !!! I joined the club and there are alot of GREAT people here. I have an original Van Nuys built '70 SS. It is totally original under the hood,except for plugs and plug wires, fuel line, and a vaccumn line or two(and battery,alternator). Valve covers have never been off. The carb is a 7040200. I'll get you some detailed pic's under there, but it may take a while, the weather sucks and I don't have alot of time on my hands right now. There is NO and I mean NO,"0", zilch , emissions on my car even though it is California built! That is, except for the PCV valve and heat risor, LOL. I don't know why, maybe because it was built in '69. I have the build sheet and I am 3rd owner. Second owner sold the car new in 1970 to the original owner. Give me a little time and I will get some pics to you. Scott.

"There is NO and I mean NO,"0", zilch , emissions on my car even though it is California built! That is, except for the PCV valve and heat risor, LOL. I don't know why, maybe because it was built in '69."

Only cars sold in California got the extra emissions in 70. Cars built to be sold in the other states, even from Van Nuys, didn't need to have it and GM didn't waste the money on them.

"There is NO and I mean NO,"0", zilch , emissions on my car even though it is California built! That is, except for the PCV valve and heat risor, LOL. I don't know why, maybe because it was built in '69."

Only cars sold in California got the extra emissions in 70. Cars built to be sold in the other states, even from Van Nuys, didn't need to have it and GM didn't waste the money on them.

ditto

my 4 speed from Van Nuys is the same way

My 70 I bought in Sept 69 had no emissions either. Also a Van Nuys car ordered in Pendleton Indiana Sept 20, 1969. My 68 Nove two years before had a air pump with lines going to the exhaust manifolds. Nova 325 horse 327CI Monte 265 horse SB 400CI.

My 1970 SS is also a Van Nuys Car, slao built in 1969 has the California Emissions Option NA9. This includes addition of a charcoal canister, fuel tank vent lines and a different carb whose float bowls vent to the charcoal canister also. Assembly manual shows details. It doesn't matter that the car was built in California, it is where it was sold that would most likely dictate the requirement for NA9. This would be shown on the build sheet. I made my car into a LS6 and this option was tricky to do correct.

There were many strange and unaccountable things done to our cars weather they were in one state or in another or even Canada. Some cars in California and even Pheonix for what ever reason got Rear Defrost..??? I can see up in Canada for sure or even New York. its like haveing A/C in a car thats from the North West Teritories up north in Canada where there is snow 365 days a year.

"Some cars in California and even Pheonix for what ever reason got Rear Defrost..??? I can see up in Canada for sure or even New York. its like haveing A/C in a car thats from the North West Teritories up north in Canada where there is snow 365 days a year."

Those were options. If you ordered it, it was installed. GM didn't care where the car was going.

Actually AC is not wasted on cars in snow and cold weather: The system does a good job of de-humidifying the air in the cabin, and the defroster works much better than cars without AC.

Have any of you cold region people ever experienced the foggy windows you get from turning on the heater when you have snow or water on your shoes or carpets? You can clear the windows and remove the moisture by putting the AC on max and turning the heat all the way up. There's no rule that says you can't run the AC and choose hot temperature....alternate between normal heater and AC heat and you can keep your feet warm and dry out the cabin.