best way to clean intake

monte70car

While the intake is off the Monte I would like to try and clean it up so it looks new, any one have any tricks for cleaning up old alum. intakes? header003-1.jpg I know there is better intakes on the market these days but that one has already been shaved to fit the motor.

I'll probably catch a bunch of crap for this but ohwell. I have always found brake cleaner works very well. However, be careful as brake cleaner is not good for your body, internally or externally. Also, it has just about doubled in price the past year. Because of this, I have started to use other degreasers in combination with brake cleaner. I ussually start and finish the cleaning process with brake cleaner. - Dave

I'll probably catch a bunch of crap for this but ohwell. I have always found brake cleaner works very well.

I have used it before as well as wheel cleaner, works very well...and the intake out of the car like that it should be a breeze to clean.

Cheap way! wire brush it. Use concrete cleaner on it, from the .99¢ store. It works wonders, be careful wear gloves. Plus that manifold looks pretty dull.

oven cleaner, but you have to be careful not leaving it on for too long.

thanh

great stuff! just like concrete cleaner..it'll burn. lol

****Side note**** I heard of someone who sand blasted their iron intake, didn't clean the sand out of the heat shield (under the center area) then spun the rod bearings on a fresh rebuild.

Key learning, sand in the oil is not good for an engine.

It's hard to get all the stains out.I just use some brake clean and then take it to the power wash.After that I paint the intake with Alumi Blast.It comes under different names but it is supposed to look like real aluminum.It's kind of flat coloured and looks like fresh aluminum.I've done a couple of motors in this stuff.It seems all the aluminum brackets and stuff come in different shades of aluminum.I paint all the aluminum parts with this stuff and the motor looks amazing.Very clean and really good for that stock new look.I just did an intake but I don't know how to post pics.

what i did was use engine cleaner and worked it in with a soft scrub brush,then rinsed well, after it was completly dry i used a product that is called Steel It which is a areasol spray paint. it turned out like new and no stains show through.

I use an alum brightener found at comercial truck supply houses. You do need to dilute it with water so it doesn't turn your intake white. After that you can polish to your hearts content

If funds are tight I would recommend Duplicolor Silver wheel paint. I used it on the old intake on my Cutlass and it doesn't look painted at all. I was getting crap from a buddy when I told him I was going to paint the intake. A couple of weeks later he was at the house when I installed it and bragged about how right he was and how good the manifold looked unpainted. Should of seen his face when I showed him the paint.

Your other option is to have it media blasted then clear coat it. Like someone else said. You have to make sure all the media or sand is out of it before re-installing.