have you seen my piston? it disappeared

71monteme

this is what happens when you loose a valve at 6000rpm. enjoy.

IMAG1406.jpg

It disappeared completely.

IMAG1408.jpg

IMAG1410.jpg

IMAG1409.jpg

IMAG1411.jpg

this is the second time #7 cylinder have given up on me on diffrent engine.

it did not do too much damge in the bore, now it will be bored out to a 511 for sure. valve was a brand name super duty valve and it broke on the 1st burn out. it was running darn good too.

still have to take the engine apart to see if i can find the valve head.

thanh

OUCH!!! Did the spring break causing the valve to drop or was it just a valve failure? Hate to see things like happen but as you stated you can go bigger!!! That is a good thing grin Keeps us up to date with the rebuild.

David

that was my 496 in the 72 monte. i'm also very suprised to see so little damage to that bore. hopefully nothing else got hurt. the head will be going to the machine shop to see if it can be repair, might go to 2.30in-1.94ex. while they're redoing the heads. the machine shop has built a few 511bbc that make 800hp so that's where i'm headed.

thanh.

That sucks Thanh.

It looks like it can be repaired, that is one of the nice things about aluminum heads.

It always amazed me how chunks get blown into the intake and into the other cylinders!

What kind of piston was that it seemed to have shattered?

Is it an optical illusion or is the rod twisted?

Spoken like a true racer, blown engine: time for a bigger better hammer!

Mike.

those were speed pro forged pistons, the rods are Eagles H-beam forged rods, and that rod is slightly bent/twisted.

found the valve head also, it broke into pieces, found the biggest piece in the header tube. the rest are still in the oil pan.

thanh

sorry to see that Thanh...looks like a chicken or egg thing...did the valve take the piston out or the other way around...a spun bearing could also cause the piston to hit the head first, the twisted rod is unusual for a dropped valve...what kind of piston to valve clearance did you have and quench? Make sure they sonic check the block before they take it that big, most guys only go to 505....

no spray.

Davey.

the valve broke at the stem where it was under cut, the only thing i change were new valve springs which had a little more pressure then the tired ones but not by much. besides the porting work on the heads.

the builder has done few 511, BUT he had to fill the block, so it will be track only as there will be not much cooling.

thanh

Sorry to hear that, and see it too for that matter! Was that a one piece valve or one of the ones where they weld the heads on to the stem? I've heard of quite a few stock style valves doing that but not as many aftermarket. That sucks.