Inner Fenders

Hey guys -- recently acquired a 72 that i plan to slowly bring back to life. it's needing front inner fenderes. what's everyones thoughts on this. plastic vs metal and where's the best to get these. This will not be a 100% stock rebuild - minor resto's here and there. Thanks

I bought the plastic and then got the metal and I am putting the metal on the Monte I have a LT1/4L60E set up and thought the metal would be better for grounding the computer and other electrical. I have the extra plastic they use to say that the metal would have to be redone on some of the hole line up but the ones I have are the same as the plastic,I laid the plastic over the metal and it looks like a match. I got mine at OPGI I think I would have to look up my paper work but I use Year One also. Bob

Hey guys -- recently acquired a 72 that i plan to slowly bring back to life. it's needing front inner fenderes. what's everyones thoughts on this. plastic vs metal and where's the best to get these. This will not be a 100% stock rebuild - minor resto's here and there. Thanks

metal is better if you want to put a finish in it and will avoid any future cracking issues. I think most if not all of the metal ones sold for Monte's are really made for Chevelles. You will need to massage some of the holes to get a correct fit, if bolted directly on they can cause the fenders to "bow" slightly at the wheel well openings....

My car when I bought it already had the metal Chevelle inner fenders and they looked factory IMO. So I didn't question it. I found out (from this forum) that the OEM were plastic. Even if I had a almost perfect Monte I'd go with Metal if I was having to put a set on as I think they are much better and obviously over time last WAY longer....

Scott

I'll buck the trend here. I'm an OEM guy so I like the plastic. Have had a set of plastic "made for Monte's" from The Parts Place on my Monte since 2005 and no issues. The fit was perfect and no cracks........yet LOL

My 2 cents

I put the plastic back in my car from The Parts Place also, no cracks in them and they fit real nice.... that being said, I would probably go metal if I was going to do it over, no particular reason other than to maybe stiffen the front up

I'll buck the trend here. I'm an OEM guy so I like the plastic. Have had a set of plastic "made for Monte's" from The Parts Place on my Monte since 2005 and no issues. The fit was perfect and no cracks........yet LOL

My 2 cents

Me too.

I'd love to have the durability of the steel but OEM for me too. Just trying to keep this car as original as possible. I even purchased an NOS 1971 water pump the other day. It is date and casting numbers correct for my car. Like many, someone had changed the water pump sometime during the life of the car. This one hasn't even been painted yet. It will be going in for powder coating and then I'll install it in the spring. smile

I'd love to have the durability of the steel but OEM for me too. Just trying to keep this car as original as possible. I even purchased an NOS 1971 water pump the other day. It is date and casting numbers correct for my car. Like many, someone had changed the water pump sometime during the life of the car. This one hasn't even been painted yet. It will be going in for powder coating and then I'll install it in the spring. smile

Larry have you confirmed the seals in that one if it is as you say an original NOS piece the rubber o ring etc could be brittle? When you have it installed I would go to a local speed shop and get some WATER WETTER (pink bottle) and put it in when they change the antifreeze to try and lubricate those seals in it. They can be rebuild, but many just replace them now as it is cheaper to do so and get the core for one, but again I'd check the seals good when it is installed and use a good water pump lubricant like the one I mentioned. I have an empty bottle still and Karbelt sells it (see Cory on Simcoe St S.)

Scott

I bought plastic ones back in around 99 and they are already cracked and I don't drive the car very much. The next ones will be steel. grin

If you're not going for a 100 point concourse car then use what you like best. My car will have steel when it is finished because the plastic don't hold up to time. On a resto mod like my car I don't care if it's not original to the car. Do what makes you happy.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're not going for a 100 point concourse car then use what you like best. My car will have steel when it is finished because the plastic don't hold up to time. On a resto mod like my car I don't care if it's not original to the car. Do what makes you happy.

ditto Same here. Especially with FL heat, plastic anything gets broken down pretty easily here. I'm also not going anything close to original, so there's that. But the mods I am making, you'll have to know Montes to spot them. Juuuuuust how I like it. grin