Putting Vinly Top back on

I'm considering putting my vinyl top back on considering the person before me took it off, but didn't do that great of a job of it. The paint was nice, but the metal on the sides are coming through (metal rail?) Anyway, if I do this, does anyone have tips on putting it back on properly and with the correct trim? I have a '70 MC. Thank you.

Is it an early 70 or late 70. The early ones had the halo top and the later ones had the top all the way to the windshield. My 72 had the vinyl top taken off by one of the previous owners they did a poor job of finishing where the moldings were and where the sail panel meets the top. That was all fixed when I had the car repainted this past couple of months. I am not a fan of vinyl tops and glad mine is gone.

Brian I have a complete 70 Halo top set for a early 70 Monte and I can also change out the piece and do the later 70-72 style. Depending on how they remove the top i.e did they cut the studs off that holds the vinyl top trim clips if so I would just leave the vinyl top off and do the body work to look good. If the studs are still there then clean the rust off the surface try and make the seam where the sail panel meets the rail smooth and flat. Once that is done you would spread the top out on the car roll back one side and spray some 3m glue on the roof and the underside of the top and pull it back to that side repeat for the other side.

I'm not totally sure what they did to tell you the truth. I've never had a car where the top was taken off previously. I wished I saw what it looked like before, but the two sides (one more prominent than the other) is cracking. I'd imagine they just put mud on it and it shrunk when the paint and sun hit it over time. Body work isn't a problem, it's just having to get the whole painted again that I'm not looking forward to.

I'd imagine the only way to know if it's an early or late '70 is the VIN...not sure of that atm. The previous owner didn't have it long, so I'm lost on its history. I have had it about a year now and have been slowly getting it back to shape. Vinyl tops can be a bear, but if kept up look nice.

If the studs that hold the vinyl roof trim have been cut, it is an awful lot of work putting them back correctly. If that is the case, it would be easier to just leave the vinyl off and fix the body work in my opinion.

So I imagine the place where it is cracked on both sides is where the studs were. Thanks for everyone's feedback and saved time I have gained by not pursuing a new top! I'll just repair the cracks and move on. Thanks.

With a vinyl top they did not put lead all the way back just where the color of the car was. The rest of that seam was filled with seam sealer and that is where mine had cracked. Dug all the seam sealer out and filled the void with Dura Glass by US Chemicals. Then Rage Extreme body filler by Fiberglass Evercoat was applied. You can not tell that my 72 ever had a vinyl top on it.

No one should ever take the vinyl top off. They look so classy with a vinyl top. My 70s had vinyl and my 72 has vinyl and I would never take them off. IMHO the vinyl top just adds so much to the look of the car.

I think it goes both ways, I've seen cars I loved with or without a top! I think it goes along with colors, certain colors look nicer breaking it up with a contrasting top, even the same color like a triple black looks great. I like mine without it, but I think a top to match my sandlewood wood interior would look food too, changes the whole look really

The Parts Place has these screws to use in place of the original studs that held the moulding clips.

It wouldn't be too hard to replace it.

Dan

I really like Robs car with the top painted myself. I like mine without the vinyl.

Oh man... now I need a 3rd Monte. grin

Yes the 2-tone painted top is very cool. Sam's 70 Monte is like that also.

The Parts Place has these screws to use in place of the original studs that held the moulding clips.

It wouldn't be too hard to replace it.

Dan

I suppose if you had someone make a stencil that allowed you to put the studs in the correct location, it may be possible.

I made new studs out of nails I machined and rewelded to NOS 1/4 panel and panel back of rear glass between trunk so it looks org.I know nobody will see it but I think screws will loose at sometime.I guess i had a lot of spare time on my hands during the winter to do it

They also make studs that can be placed into a spot welder and attached like the factory

Eastwood sells the Adapter kit for the stud welder gun for welding the trim rivets to the panels.

I have the best of both worlds with the two-tone paint. The lood of the contrasting color that the vinl roof gives you but without the headaches of the rust forming under the vinyl roof. You would be surprised at how many people will look right at my car adn just assume it has a vinyl roof.

Rob

You would be surprised at how many people will look right at my car adn just assume it has a vinyl roof.

Rob

I did the first time I saw it but it was from a distance and you were going one way and I was going the other. My eyes arent that bad yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

It's more than likely cracking at the seam because who ever did the work didn't remove the original lead in the seam before using bondo over it. Bondo doesn't hold well to lead.

All the lead needs to come out first and then the seam refinished. If your going to do that repair yourself make sure your well ventialted...breathing lead is a big no, no......

But the lead comes out relatively easy with a small propane torch to heat it up and then wipe it away with a rag.

My 2 cents,

Steve