Shift cable bracket

badddoin

I just got a new transmission to replace my leaking piece of stuff. The problem is, there's no place to bolt my shift cable bracket on the new tranny.

There was two threaded holes on the old one right behind the shifter shaft.

003-3.jpg

But there's no such animals on the new one.

001-2.jpg

So my question is, is there a fix for this, short of sending it back? It's truck freight, and I'd probably have to take it to Valdosta to the closest truck terminal (60 miles).

I'm hoping there is another bracket I can get that will work.

My 700R4 has the mounting bracket for the shifter cable mounted on two of the transmission pan bolts. I would call the Summit tech department and see what they suggest.

As far as I know, the trans is a TH350. The one that was in the car when I bought it bolted the same way as this one. However, this one, which I bought off CL about a year ago, didn't have the holes drilled and tapped. I had to do that myself. I figured it probably just came out of a column shift car, and wasn't machined.

My brackket looks like this. It looks to me like I might be able to turn around how the cable goes through the bracket and bolt it through the pan bolts. I'm gonna try that.

Thanks so much for the responses. If anyone knows (or can look) if their bracket looks like that I'd be grateful. If not, maybe it looks like one of these ?

Mine is the TH400 bracket as identified from your link and like others have stated, mine is attached to the oil pan bolts 2 places.

I would suspect you need the TH350 bracket also bolted 2 places to the oil pan/transmission but your shift linkage may have been different creating your assembly problem. You probably need a pic of the TH350 shift linkage/bracket assembled to tranny to know if yours is compatible.

Doug

I talked to the tech. guy at Summit, and he said I needed this bracket . After looking at it, and the one Cory used, now I'm thinking I've got the wrong thing coming. I'll proobably go ahead and order that one. Either way, I've run out of excuses not to put the tranny in.

That's exacly what my bracket looks like, Monte70. This is a pic of the last tranny that was in it. You can almost make out, through the gunk, the bosses in the case where the bracket bolted.

015.jpg

I guess it needed replacing. I don't have any history on my car, so there's no telling how many trannies it's been through, or what they came out of. Or who put the rubber baby buggy bumpers on it, for that matter.

Thanks again everyon for the help; FGMCC members are off the chart!

so when installing a floor shifter..when changeing from column shifter..u can basically jus place it where it feels good cuz the hole you drill is for the cable to shift the tranny..sounds pretty easy...

Scott pretty much, some floor pans have a punch mark for a floor shift cable to go out. When we did the change in our El Camino we installed the shifter where it felt good and then marked where the cable should be. One thing to take in it mind drill the hold with the trans out or you might drill into the tail shaft housing.

Well, I've solved the bracket issue. I'm sure you all were having trouble sleeping (I was). Now I'm sure the bracket Cory used would've worked just fine. Of course it would. It worked on his car. And it wasn't the matter of the thirty bucks (or whatever}. It really never is the thirty, or fifty, or a hundred, or whatever bucks. It's that it's ANOTHER thirty, or fifty, or a hundred bucks (or whatever}. I've spent around eight grand on this car in the last month, and my spending will (and money) is waining.

So, naturally, I did the only logical thing there was left to do. I went to Lowes and spent six-hundred bucks on a welder and helmet, so I could make my own bracket. That does make perfect sense, doesn't it?

019.jpg

020.jpg

I bolted my old bracket to the old transmission, and a piece of modified angle to the pan bolts. Then I tacked them together.

2aa5611e-d12b-4eca-adf4-45a5612635a7.jpg

Then I took 'em off and weded them, cut everything off that wasn't part of the plan, groung it a little, wire brushed it, and molested it with a rattle-can. I like it!

008.jpg

007.jpg

Her it is in action, doing its bracketly duties.

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

And I saved thirty bucks!

Looks Good Tommy. Thats what I like. I a person that thinks out of the Box. If you got the tools and know how. Go For It. That welder will pay for it's self in the long run to. Nice Job. laugh