What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

This is the evaporator that worked so well for me:

5_zps6512eb71.jpg

Classic Auto Air fabricates it.  They sell the unit as the Custom Colder Elite...  they also supply it to RestoModAir which markets it as the Haymaker II.  Here is a link to the picture callery for the system:

http://www.restomodair.com/shopproducts/haymaker-ii-custom-air-conditioning-system/

I made my purchase direct from Classic Auto.    http://www.classicautoair.com/    1-888-791-6384

Doug

It was beautiful day here in Tampa. Highs in the upper 60's with lots off sunshine. So I decided to take the Monte put for a ride. I pulled the car back and notices a trail of some liquid behind the car. Turns out it was coolant. Looks like either the water pump or the hose that comes out of the pump.

Ive been tracking the rear end for the 72 since I received the tracking number and knew it would be deliver today. I ended up getting called in for work no big deal need my 40 hours and though I'll come home to the rear end waiting. Check the UPS website at 1:50 and see incorrect address reach out to UPS and the vendor had the wrong address on the label. Got it re-delivered the same post-26-0-11155400-1424124823_thumb.jpg and this is what is inside the little black box post-26-0-05849200-1424124812_thumb.jpg Moser center section with a 35 spline truetrac and 3.89 gears now the temp needs to go back up. New parts and a cold garage even with a heater is still cold.

Wow...  that has some meat to it Rob!

Today,  I began prepping the '72 to run A/C lines.   The previous owner had pulled the OEM unit to lighten the car for the track, installing a polished 16x28" cloud-like shaped block-off plate in its place on the firewall.   I'm running the A/C lines under the fender to keep the engine bay clean, and so, I grabbed the hole-saw to place the bulkhead fitting on the far outer edge of the block-off plate.   FOUR hole saws later, the two holes were through the plate. 

What I thought was a polished aluminum plate, turned out to be polished TITANIUM.  LOL!!

Spent the better part of this week finishing up repairs/modifications with the intent on taking a drive to the beach Saturday.  It was going to be a beautiful February day and was really looking forward to it.  Prepped everything Friday in anticipation, got a fairly good nights rest and arose Saturday AM anticipating a glorious day!  Drove over to the car (stopped along the way for a 20 oz. Espresso Mocha to kick start me), set up the GPS, MP3 player for some good driving tunes and had camera just in case.  Started the car and let sit idling for awhile while I visited with brother and during this period the engine stopped running!  :B  Went out and turned the key to restart and initially thought she would fire back up but on 1st attempt did not.  Tried a second time and would only crank over with no indication motor was getting fuel and or spark.  Made another attempt shortly after and same result.  Checked all gauges to see if any suspicious problems there but other than fuel gauge pegged way past full, no indications.  Double checked Distributor external connections, checked to make sure there was fuel (there was), put a volt meter on it and read no problems.  Scratched my head and tried starting her again and she fired right up!  Did some follow up checks while running and didn't find any problems. :confused:

Decided a drive to the Coast was a little risky considering I couldn't diagnose the problem, so made a shorter drive about 70 miles round trip just to get a feel for how all those repairs/upgrades were working, got back without a hitch and so far, starts/drives just fine.  Had a previous upgrade made where my Distributor was recurved and I think the ignition coil was replaced at that time.   Am guessing the HEI Distributor caused the problem and just to be safe, am purchasing another new Distributor to keep in trunk just in case it happens again when I'm out driving in Gods Country.  Drove the car back to the garage and came back home that afternoon!

Thats what I did to my Monte Carlo that day :->..................

Doug

Doug 

I did nutin to the 72 today. Just sat around and watched the Northern Trust Open for the LA area. Very good golf tournament won by James Hahn the 297th ranked player in the world on the third playoff hole. :)

Doug,

I once fought with a friend's car for months trying to diagnose an intermittent stall like that.  Sometimes it would die six or seven times in a day, then it might go three weeks before dying while running. 

I ruled out all of the usual suspects one-by-one, and then dug deep into the internals of the engine and peripheral pieces.    What I ended up finally finding was a plastic printed label, submerged in the fuel tank that would temporarily plug the fuel uptake.  It had apparently been on a replacement fuel pump at one point and had not been removed before it was installed.  What a relief that was, to finally find the culprit.   

Thanks Doug...  I was indeed pulling my hair out, up until finding that critter!     LOL!!

Larry,  the quarter windows that you turned me onto matched my current window tinting perfectly.  Thanks so much!   I was impressed with your tool-building ingenuity in developing the threaded washer removal tool.  For the rest of us, I found a pin spanner wrench that makes changing the rollers a breeze:   $11 with free shipping on FleaBay.

Spanner_zpsb9333f9e.jpg

Finally got it moved into her new home. Being outside for the last couple years has not been nice to her :(

image.jpgimage.jpg

No crying but frustration. It is a 12 year old paint job and looking back on it they guy did a great job on the paint, but a crapy job on prep. Lucky it lasted this long. I plan on doing a slow frame off and most if not all of the paint and bodywork myself.

Finally got the Monte pulled outside where he got to get lots of fresh air and cleaned up the engine bay a little. there was so much dust and dirt that built up from its last road trip that didnt get cleaned up when it was parked for winter.....

now it's looking better....

Darren.

20140919_100730_resized_zps66bdcb85.jpg

Dropped the tank so I can fix the gas gauge. I did find a build sheet...I think.

post-1188-0-96381200-1425852913_thumb.jpgpost-1188-0-76565100-1425853006_thumb.jpg

I am going to order a new tank and sending unit. Where should I order them from?