What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a drive today. Tried out my new GoPro camera attached to the windsheild and added some music to the video. I think this camera will come in handy at the meets.

• Like 1

Opened the trunk.        

I have the electric trunk opener and it has been a bit more difficult to open over the past year or so. I also DON'T have a key that will open the trunk so I did have to push down on the deck lid while my wife pushed the green electric trunk release button. It finally opened! I haven't needed the key ever before (original owner) and notice the trunk keys don't even turn from when the car was new many years ago. I better look into this problem so I don't have to pull the rear seats out. Talk about procrastination!

Happy New Year!

Bruce

Well worked on the inside door handle release so it would work with the new setup for the outside door handles. I had to remove the metal rod that was original used as the pullers I need for the outside door handle would bend up. Today we went and brought some 1/16" cable ran it through the door latch and the inside door handle it still pulls the latch like the rod does but now when the puller pulls the latch the cable gives allowing the door to unlatch.

I gave her a look of shame (the car) that I have not been working on her lately..building heavy duty 3 ton capacity single axle trailer that I traded work for steel for in the summer..should be done in 2 days then on to both 1/4 ers and a rear taillight panel fun wow

Sounds like your gettin' close Sam.

Gabe and I took the Monte out for about a forty five minute drive this afternoon. Windows up and heat on of course, after all it was only 34 degrees out. I figured that all of the rain we had around here the last few days, any traces of salt that may have been put down this year was gone.

The rest of the parts came today to redo my exhaust manifolds.  Hopefully the snowball effect won't start and end up being an entire engine compartment restore.  I kind of like a touch of the original patina so if anything hope only to concentrate on the manifolds and some cleaning and detailing.  Now all I have to do is find a warm enough day to go up to the unheated storage garage so I can pull the manifolds of and get started on this project.

Rob

Finally got a chance to put in the dash today. Not enough time to finish. Had a few problems, that I finally figured out I am sure I will have some questions when I get back to it.

Headgaskets got in yesterday, heads and waterpump will be here tomorrow, cam on tuesday. Uuuuuunfortunately, they're going to wait for it to warm up before going on the engine because it's gonna be COLD wednesday. 

Headgaskets got in yesterday, heads and waterpump will be here tomorrow, cam on tuesday. Uuuuuunfortunately, they're going to wait for it to warm up before going on the engine because it's gonna be COLD wednesday.

You need a heated garage...been putting in my new exhaust....damn what a difference in tone.

20150103_154325_zps9b06e423.jpg

• Like 1

You need a heated garage...been putting in my new exhaust....damn what a difference in tone.

20150103_154325_zps9b06e423.jpg

I have a heater, but it's little and my garage is big and uninsulated... Though there -is- a heated garage I could use, except it's in Wisconsin and full of my dad's John Deere's and tools XD

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bit the bullet and got my 1 major issue with the car repaired this last couple weeks while on vacation.  Had the rear axle overhauled and hopefully will get other drivers to quit bothering me about my wobbly left rear tire. :rofl:   To keep this short, I had the left rear axle replaced, the housing straightened out, and all new bushings and oil.   It seems the car had hit a curb rather hard prior to me buying it, now the rear end looks brand spankin new. My mechanic says it has 3.73 gears in the rear end.  I don't know if that ratio is original is it?  To me it doesn't make sense that the car can pull 20mpg on the highway on it's lone 4 hour trip.

Cleaned off the old head gasket material on the Vortec I'm building for it, as well as picked up timing cover and oil pan gaskets, carb stud kit for the new intake, aaand I think that pretty much sums it up. 

Oh, and got the radiator show panel today. Can't wait to see what it looks like on the car! 

Got the new Magna Flow exhaust fitted to the headers and welded up.....There was some cutting and test fitting involved....have the joints welded and the turbo mufflers up and clamped. I am still waiting to decide which tips I want so the rest Will have to wait. But it sure does make a difference in the tone with a true X - pipe and glass pack mufflers on it.

post-1188-0-79485700-1421366661_thumb.jpgpost-1188-0-68856000-1421366748_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple pics....not very good but hard to get a decent pic with the car off the ground 2ft.

I had been considering for some time to have my engine get performance checked by an expert.  She runs pretty good but a couple issues I have I could not come to terms with them.  So, made an appointment Monday and delivered her today.  We talked and then he and I went for a test drive.  He suggested a few things along the drive that brought me up to speed.  Once we returned, he indicated he can tune her better to get rid of carburetor heat sink issues and a initial stall when laying on the gas pedal.  He has her now and once he spends some time tinkering, will call me and then we go from there.

So, just sitting patiently and  waiting for that call.   :coffee2: Will advise after work completed and an opportunity to test out the tweaks. 

Doug

• Like 1

I did that with mine after the latest rebuild. A friend of mine has a dyno and we did 7 pulls and adjustments to get the most out of my stock 350 as possible. The car runs great now, very peppy when you step on the gas. I am, however, disappointed on the hp rating of my engine, but it did show an improvement over the factory 145hp rating. You should do it, Doug. The price should be more reasonable than might be expected. Any money I spend on the Monte is always worth it!

I should think about doing that when I get my new engine in... I've been curious what it had for guts ever since I got the car. Of course, since the original engine that it had when I bought it melted down a piston, I'll just have to figure out what it's got now :)

New Shiney -Hiney  LED tail lights,new taillight trim bezels.Ordered my exhaust cutouts (Doug's Headers),Aluminized exhaust "y" pipes. Also , 2004r transmission getting built in Denver Pa. at the moment. Once it gets here the work will begin! I do have my '98 Jeep Cherokee steering gear  upgrade to install also. 

Removed the back seat from the 72 a couple of days ago and stripped all materials to begin the cleaning and painting of the springs. The front seat will be removed this weekend and trim panels so the new side glasses can be installed when they arrive this coming week.