What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Yes rob it is a bit punky in that spot..I am going to patch it due to the fact I already purchased my 1/4ers..the vinyl top  will cover it up anyhooo. and yes those are the 20's...15 wide so I will have to cut into that new trunk panel AGAIN..about 5-6 inches..just in case I want to go to 18's in the future..no mini tub full backhalf..my frame is as bad as the sail panel from the rear wheel back.in fact it broke in half at the body mount just past the rear wheel..I have welded it back in place

Hey Rob...   Speaking of mini-tubs,  what is the stock wheel-well width.  I know that the PO replaced some pieces on my '72; it is 13 5/8" wide presently, is that factory width?

Hey Rob...   Speaking of mini-tubs,  what is the stock wheel-well width.  I know that the PO replaced some pieces on my '72; it is 13 5/8" wide presently, is that factory width?

sounds about correct..just measured mine after fitting new trunk and 1/4 in..that is without the wheelwell though..the max tire that can go in there is just a tad over 12 though..there is a member here that trimmed the lip and has a hair clearence for his tires....try the tire database for more info

Thanks guys...

The well just looked wider than I remembered being on my '70SS.

I was up underneath it last night to install the rear disks and got a pleasant surprise.   The rear axles turned out to be Strange 33 spline with their C-clip elininator.

• 2 weeks later...

Well spent the weekend working on the rear seat for the 72. Started out with burlap and green 4" foam from the fabric store. I believe the seat cover (PUI) might have been a little small as the seat back cover barely fit just the seat frame and the burlap. The seat bottom ended up with 2" of foam so the cover would sit correctly.

11178207_955654484469525_180162542694057

Yesterday I got the 70 out for the first drive this year. Also gave it its first wash today. I've had the 71 out a few times but there's something sentimental about driving the car I've had since i was 19. :)

70 042014.jpg

I finished installing new foam rubber in the passenger seat and built the new mounting brackets for it as well.  I wanted to leave more room in the rear for possible passengers, as my driver's seat now leaves but an inch between the back of my seat and the rear seat when it's adjusted for my height.  So, I've set it up so the two seats are perfectly aligned for show purposes, when I adjust the driver's to its full forward position, and the passenger's to its full rearward position.       Doug

213a0428-2838-45e0-8ed1-ce590c16e2dd_zps

Pulled the trigger and washed the ole girl today.  Have been having a problem with fuel gauge pegging out intermittently over the pat 6 or 7 years.  Always seems to find itself and was no exception today. It may be the contact of the float sensor to sender is mucked up and loses contact at intervals of fuel capacity level?  I attempted rocking the car to see if jarring it would bring the fuel gauge needle from pegged full to actual.  Did not help at all.  So, decided when I went to put car away I would try fast acceleration and let up to see if that might jar fuel float and find a connection.  Low and behold, the fuel gauge dropped down to where I expected it should read.  Worked all the way back to the garage.  Doesn't appear to be a problem when car is in use so far. But sitting for a period of time I think adds to this issue.  Don't have any plans to change anything just yet. As long as gauge continues to correct, I will leave well enough alone.  Found some anti-freeze laying on top of intake manifold when I rolled her into the garage.  2 puddles showing near 1st forward intake bolt passenger and 2nd forward intake bolt driver.  I think I had better remove, add sealer to threads, then reinstall bolts.  Couldn't find any other probable reason for it.

The car was looking good after her bath and clouds started looking threatening, so rushed her back to garage.  Felt good for such a short drive.

Doug   

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger and washed the ole girl today.  Have been having a problem with fuel gauge pegging out intermittently over the pat 6 or 7 years.  Always seems to find itself and was no exception today. It may be the contact of the float sensor to sender is mucked up and loses contact at intervals of fuel capacity level?  I attempted rocking the car to see if jarring it would bring the fuel gauge needle from pegged full to actual.  Did not help at all.  So, decided when I went to put car away I would try fast acceleration and let up to see if that might jar fuel float and find a connection.  Low and behold, the fuel gauge dropped down to where I expected it should read.  Worked all the way back to the garage.  Doesn't appear to be a problem when car is in use so far. But sitting for a period of time I think adds to this issue

Doug

Sounds exactly like mine Doug, usually when I top it off and it sits it spikes up to about the 3oclock position, goes back to normal after a few days of driving. It's been doing it for years, lt keeps returning back to normal so I'm not dealing with it for now

Surfaced the engine deck with an 8" stone and likewise prepped the Patriot heads to be re-installed;  formed six feet each of -10AN and -6AN A/C hard line to run from the firewall bulkhead fitting, under the passenger fender, to the dryer and Sanden pump.

Be careful Aaron, the 71 is going to get jealous! :devil:  Have you seen the movie Christine?

Doug

The 71 gets some playtime too. I pick up the kids from school once in a while and we go for a cruise.

Hit a local show tonight with my son. Got a lot of nice comments about the car and there was 2 other first gens there. One was a member Bill who I've run into before and actually worked with him before. My son saw his car coming in and noticed the FGMCC plate on the front.

Edit....... I give up posting pics from my phone, always the wrong direction, sorry!

post-222-0-27271600-1430008127_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-21111800-1430008170_thumb.jpg

Headed out about noon to go to a show and a cruise-in later in the evening. Got about 10 miles from the house and realized I had forgotten a jacket. So I turn around and head back. I pull up in front of the garage and turn her off to run inside. As I walk around the front of the car a loud BANG and antifreeze gushing everwhere!!  Bummer :-(   The radiator cap had come loose and hit the bottom of the hood. The metal lip around the top of the radiator opening had cracked and come apart. Looking at it, it appears to have been cracked for a while and finally let go. I guess I'll be pulling the radiator tomorrow.