Needed Filter for fuel smell

Kats 72 monte

Does anyone know where I can find a filter for the charcoal canister that is for the fuel system??  I have a fuel smell problem (literally my house smells like the inside of a gas can after parking my car in the attached garage - never had this problem until about a couple years ago) that I am wondering if this would help (since the canister is empty). My Dad told me that their should be a filter in it.  Does anyone have any ideas??  I have had the carb rebuilt several times and gas lines re-ran - still smells. - - - - otherwise he may get a new nickname.....stinky!

If you can let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

Katrina

Kats 72 Monte

My 71 does this only after I have driven it. The next day it is OK. I assume it is from the fuel evaporating from the carb.

Stock engine and carb? Do you still have the closed gas tank with the NON vented cap and all the hoses and items that are part of the evaporative emissions system?

I changed the hoses from the tank area and found an orifice restrictor in one, that I almost threw out!

I have not replaced ALL the rubber hoses yet just the easy to get to ones.

Bruce

post-76-0-68389900-1421973477_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-23921100-1421973489_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-27720100-1421973585_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking it is a rubber line leaking also. The only time I smelled fuel from one of my Montes it was because the short rubber hoses between the tank and the metal lines were leaking. I replaced the lines and problem solved.

Thank you everyone for the help!  I really appreciate it.  The car is pretty much all stock and original.  Yep, it still has the original 4 barrel quadrajet on it (rebuilt). The only thing that I have upgraded to is getting rid of the points  :)  So much nicer!!! I will go up to the parts store and see if they have the filter (thank you).  I tried Napa and Original Parts Group both didn't have it.  If that doesn't fix the smell I will have to get it in and have someone take a look at the lines.  (I can do some things but anything with the fuel makes me a little nervous and do not want anything to happen to Monte)

Thanks soooooo very much!!!!

Have a great night!

Katrina

The fuel lines are easy. I crawled under mine, loosened the bolts near the front of the tank to access the hose clamps. I took them all off then went to the store to buy the right size hoses. I even purchased new clamps. Simple job and very little risk of anything going wrong.

• Like 1

Just curious about the question initially raised. The white filter (about $2 bucks) would be inside the canister but the canister would also have activated charcoal, I assume like the charcoal inside most aquarium filters.

I thought I read somewhere that the charcoal also needs to be replaced over time. I assume it would lose its "activity" and need to be replaced along with the white filter. How does the canister open anyway?

I have the same smelly fuel problem and am going to start checking hoses as many of you suggested.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate everyones help.......sorry I haven't wrote back in a while - busy with work.   I have walked around - laid on the ground looked to see if I could see anything dripping - nothing.  (Had one car that was gassy and found the gas lead right behind the drivers tire- thought maybe it was like the Cutlass)  Car doesn't smell gassy either when its running.  So I know its not getting over loaded.  Outside no smell when its shut off sitting in the driveway - when I put it in the garage and close the door - after about 2 to 3 hours my house (the garage is off the kitchen) smells like the inside of a gas can.  I have changed the fuel pump - carb rebuilt, new gas cap one that vents instead of the factory, new lines from the fuel pump to the carb.  My son noticed that the bottom of the canister was open and was empty.  He closed the canister without anything in it.  After it has sat for a couple hours - you can smell the gas in the engine compartment - not the back end like one would think with the vented gas cap.  I know some about cars but not enough to mess with the gas lines.  :)  and now can't really ask my Dad questions as he is now in the nursing home.  What does everyone think??

I would start by replacing the filter element in the canister, it looks like Year One has it. Hope this is what you are looking for. Heres the part number-

Filter Element- 9054N

Charcoal Canister- 2159N

Good luck with the fix!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had to let everyone know what I found out with the fuel smell.  The vacuum hose from the carb to the charcoal canister was actually cracked causing the smell.  Ohhhhhhhhh would have thought?  LOL - Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great night.

Katrina

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

What size was this hose, ~1/8" like the size going to the vacuum advance or ~ 5/8" like the PCV valve hose?

Mine are all original, I need to check them out, thanks!

Bruce

• Like 1

Mine was all original too.  To be honest not sure what size - I just took the hose up to the auto store and the guy cut me a new one.  :)  It is the hose that was going from the charcoal canister to the carb located on the bottom passenger side.  

Thanks again!!!!!!

Katrina

A little late but, I finnaly figured out how to post pics!

My '71 also had the fuel smell problem. I knew the hoses were old and in need of replacing so in addition to replacing the hoses I thought I would replace the canister filter too. Hopefully this will help someone.

Canister out and turned upside down with old filter:

16193973313_6be2e3a907_z.jpgSANY0242

New filter:

16814196355_ed6c98fc24_z.jpgSANY0245

The old filter just pulls out. I was surprised there is no screen to hold the carbon in place.. 

16814187195_632e8e6533_z.jpgSANY0246

Install new filter:

16191828224_28bcdab824_z.jpgSANY0248

Reinstall carbon canister:

16193999823_456ded0a9c_z.jpgSANY0253

install hoses and done.

On your last pic there is a Tee about 3" from the canister. Where does that go?

My 71 doesn't have a "T" there.

post-76-0-59205300-1427214904_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-10667000-1427214926_thumb.jpg

I swaped out the old Q-Jet for a newer style with electric choke. The other hose attaches to the fuel bowl vent. My old carb did not have it so I spliced it tinto the tank vent hose, not sure it is correct but seems to be working fine. 

16813024351_c9ea93d43f_z.jpgSANY0254

Seems you solved the issue already.  I had the same issue with mine, whole house smelled when I came home.  I had a new NOS filter bottom for mine but that did nothing for the smell.  Seems some have given you an aftermarket number for the bottom canister cap.

All I needed to get was new charcoal.  The 40 year old charcoal can only absorb so much before it is completely saturated and provides no benefit in suppressing fuel smell.

I went to my local pet store (PETCO) and purchase a jug of activated charcoal used for aquarium filters.  Cleaned out the canister, installed new filter and filled to the top with the new charcoal.

WOW !!   What a difference.  I highly recommend everyone do this.  For a little over $10,  I no longer smell like a gas station attendant after taking her for a ride.

Hope this helps

Dan

Dan, I'm surprised your '70 has this canister.  Was it built to be sold in California?  I thought none of the '70 Montes had the evaporative system, except those sold in Cali.

Have you learned to post pics yet?  It's easier with this new site, especially with a smart phone.  Your car needs some exposure here. :)

Dan