Interior done Time to drive

John S

Looks great. What is the center consol out of. I see you have the rear fiber optic monitor mounted on the package tray so I would assume you have it on the front fenders....that is a very nice 1970 only option for the Monte.

rob

The console is from OPGI, I needed something to rest my arm on and the fibre optics went only to the tail lights but somewhere along the line got cut so they don't work. I believe the front fenders have been replaced sometime by a previous owner.

John

John,

I have never seen the fiber optic monitor on just the rear or front so I suspect you are correct about the front fenders being replaced. Where were the rear lines cut? If the line for each taail light is still there and the one for the license plate light is still there you can get new fiber optic line and splice it in and salvage at least the rear part of the system.

rob

The line for the tail lights is still there the lines were cut 4 inches from the monitor. I did not know that you could get new lines and splice them if I can I will do that. It's a neat thing and I would like to work. Where can you get new fiber optic line? I did not know it was an option, I thought it was an auto parts store add on.

John S

John,

my rear ones were also cut. I went to a junkyard to get the lines to repair mine. Many older and even newer Cadillac's use the fiber optic lines. Just go to one and find a caddy with the lines and cut a couple 10 foot sections.

Once you have the lines, you will need a very sharp razor blade and make a very straight cut on the ends of yours and the donor lines.

go to a very good electronics store (take a short piece of the donor line) and ask them for some small shrink tubing. Buy two sizes, one size that just fits around the fiber optic cable and the second size that just fits over the smaller shrink tubing.

Slide both pieces of shrink tubing over the fiber optic line. The shrink tubing should be about four inches long. 2 inches should extend over the line in the car, leaving 2 inches extending past the end of the fiber optic line. Then push the donor tubing into that shrink tubing till ir butts up against the car fiber optic line. Hold these two fiber optic lines butted against each other and have someone heat the small shrink tubing till it shrinks nicely around the fiber optic line. Then slide the larger shrink tuing over the shrunk tubing and also shrink it too. BE VERY CAREFUL TO ONLY HEAT THE TUBING ENOUGH TO SHRINK THE TUBING BUT NOT HOT ENOUGH TO DAMAHE THE FIBER OPTIC LINE!

The most important part of this trpair is a nice clean cut on the fiber optic lines so they butt up against each other without losing any light transference.

rob