Found a '70 SS

overdrive

With help from a friend, I was able to find and check out this matching numbers motor and transmission car yesterday. It needs a total restoration, but it'll make a great car. Has AC, tach dash, deluxe belts, buckets and console, plus bumper guards. It may have a power seat. The car is being delivered tomorrow. I didn't check for the seat option, but the pic I have doesn't show the manual seat adjustment lever. The rear anti-sway bar is missing. 

It's a triple black Baltimore built car that spent alot of time in Texas. Still has Texas plates.

Dan

20200327_131418.jpg

20200327_130253.jpg

20200327_131836.jpg

20200327_131904.jpg

20200327_132127.jpg

20200327_125157.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RealRed70 said:

The seat pattern on those bucket seats is not for a Monte Carlo. Not for a 70, 71 or 72.

The seat pattern looks like the 70 Monte Carlo pattern. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Nice find!!! Looks to be mostly there. What are your plans for her?

Looks like things have been changed in her life. Holley carb adapter,what's left of the chrome valve covers and possible bucket seat change to mention a few.

By any chance is the air ride compressor there? 

Again, nice find!!! 😃

• Like 1

Dan told you on FB your the man. I am glad a member got this car, and your talents will serve this ride well. Congratulations on what looks like a nice find. looking forward to seeing this build

• Like 1

The console, dash, steering column, and the seats (and the seat covers) are original to the car. This is a '70, not '71. I've seen hundreds of '70 Montes, either in person, or in photos, that have the exact same seat cover pattern. The red one that I've restored had the same seats. I ordered new covers, and they are the same pattern. 

The air cleaner, fan shroud, radiator, and the G67 compressor are missing. I already have a compressor, and I know a guy that makes the mounting brackets that look just like the originals. (smile).

Dan

20200327_130937.jpg

20200327_131006.jpg

• Like 1

I was wrong on the seat covers. From the first picture that I saw it did not look correct. The pleats on the drivers seat cushion looked too flat in the first picture in the first post. The pleats usually look much more pronounced, like the rear seat covers look. The later pictures clearly show the covers to be a 1970 Monte Carlo pattern.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I was expecting the guy to deliver it tomorrow, but he brought it today. I got under it and the floors are pretty solid. I knew of one small area that needs replaced, and found another under the back seat. Pretty easy fixes. Rockers and the frame are good. I knew the rear of the trunk pan needs replaced. There's the typical spots over the rear tires, and behind them, down low, but not horrible. The lower corners of the rear glass channel are rusty, but not too bad. Mice nests ruined the trunk lid. The rear is a 2.56, non-posi. Code is CRJ.  I found that the F41 suspension was never installed on this car. There are no holes for the rear sway bar and the lower control arms aren't boxed. Someone has removed all of the load leveling system, except for the swivel linkage that goes from the control valve to the upper control arm. It's still there. The holes for the compressor brackets are there, and the tee for the vacuum hose to the compressor is there. I need to check the size of the front sway bar. So far, since it has the numbers matching 454 that's never been out of the car and rebuilt, it looks like an SS454 that didn't get some of the optional parts installed at the factory. At first, I thought maybe someone took those parts off and swapped them for standard parts. None of the bolts have any indication of ever having a wrench on them. Strange.

Dan

20200328_135630.jpg

20200328_135624.jpg

• Like 2

I checked the front sway bar and it's the correct one for an SS454.  It's 1 1/8" diameter. 

I pulled the dash pad off and checked the VIN tag. It has the correct and aged rivets, and they've obviously not been messed with. The only way to install new ones is to remove the windshield, and it's very likely that the car still has the original glass. The windshield has a sticker on it from 1984. The car hasn't been driven or worked on since 1985.

It's very odd that the car never had the boxed control arms and rear sway bar, but I'm now convinced that's what happened. 

Dan

20200328_171238.jpg

20200328_180544.jpg

Thanks, but I doubt I restore this one. I have two '57s I want to restore, maybe just one of them. I might just do some minor work to this car and let someone else have their fun with it. The clock is ticking and the savings account might only support one of the '57 restorations. We got a convertible last summer and it needs some floor work and paint. It had a very average and amateur restoration done 25 years ago. 

Dan

Hmmmmmmm 🤔 lololol

The sway bar and boxed lower control arms could have been switched out young in it's life. 

Any chance of a build sheet?

My 71 402 Monte, "barn find" has a 10 bolt in it now, that when you look at it you would swear it was factory installed. The boxed control arms and sway bar are still there. The former owner swore that the rear was never changed while his family had it. They purchased it used in 72. And she was off the road since 1985. Just saying, ya never know. Lol 🤔

Anything is possible, but what would be the motive to remove the sway bar in the '70s and swap out the lower control arms? 

I haven't checked for a build sheet yet. Being a Baltimore car, there's a good chance it's in there.

Dan

Someone with a Chevelle wanted a sway bar and boxed control arms.

Have heard of many stories of guys swapping parts out on the lifts at gas stations back in the day. 

Not saying that's what happened with your new toy. Just a possibility.

Good luck finding a build sheet! That would be cool! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andy's Auto said:

Nice score there Dan. I got you on the air cleaner and shroud if you can stomach  the shipping.

I could use one myself

20 minutes ago, overdrive said:

Andy, I sent you a PM about the parts you have.

Dan

I can't get a PM to go through to him for some reason 

• 2 weeks later...

hi Dan,   mcsteve here, looks like you bought the car in Chandlerville, Illinois that i posted on this site back in february. He had 2 - 1970 ss montes he bought near Alton, Illinois just to flip them. I bought the other car (red w/ black top n interior). Supposedly the rearend in my car was out of your car - 2.56 posi: my build sheet says my car was non-posi 2.56. The vin #s were only 170 cars apart built at Baltimore plant. I looked for the build sheet in usual places (front seat backs n both halves of rear seat but just used mirror under front buckets to look). Triple black car will be really cool - that car is very rebuildable. Good luck with it!    Steve

• 1 month later...

Steve, the seller told me he had sold you the other SS. I ended up putting some of my spare parts and some that I make with this car, after cleaning it up and putting good bumpers on it, and I listed it for sale in some Facebook groups one night. I sold it in less than 3 hours to a Monte guy in California. He paid full price by PayPal that night, and he had a shipper pick it up. I didn't make much profit on the car, but I got want I thought it was worth, and I sold some of my parts. He was very happy to get it. 

Dan