1972 Resto Mod Project

Greetings all , Apologies for the long read, no "soundbite" way to get this across. I am planning to do a full (frame off) resto mod on my 1972 Monte. Seeking brutally honest reviews of my thoughts and plans for the car, have a fair idea that its gonna put a serious dent in the bank account, and am in full understanding (or denial :)) of the financial implications of a sentimental redo vs a straight financial investment.

Short version is car belonged to my cousins husband, we were close. I drove it a lot to outings he and I went to (he also had a 70 Vette that was his first love), and when he passed away 13 years ago, I bought it from her.  My kids, nephews and nieces grew up driving in it, later driving it and loving it, and its kinda been part of the family.

Let me give you an idea of what I have in mind to turn this car more into a regular long haul cruiser (Think Miami-Orlando or Memphis-Atlanta, 5-6 hour driving distance) 

Engine / Xmsn / Brakes

• Engine (LS3 crate motor? Stock? mild Mod? Motor 500 hp?)
  • Replace transmission, drivetrain and exhaust
  • Highway oriented gearing (but still retain decent off the line performance (5/6/7 Spd Transmission?)
  • Upgraded brakes, suspension to improve stopping and handling
  • Slightly lowered ride height (car must sit level :)
  • Wheel and tire package
  • No exterior mods, (maybe change to bumper to 1970 style to accommodate foglight)
  • LS3 Crate Motor (mostly stock?)
  • Frame to be blasted (media?) and protected (paint, powder coat?)
  • Frame reinforced for stiffness 
  • Remove current vinyl top (rust issues)
  • Body & body panels down to bare metal, rust issues dealt with, no filler? body panels adjust to tight fit 
  • Body corrosion protected, all surfaces primed sanded and repainted
  • Current bench seat interior converted to bucket seats
  • Dash and instrument cluster updated with modern gauges while maintaining retro look
  • Amplified stereo with sub and modern connectivity
  • Interior body panels, carpet, seats, headliner replaced
  • Mouldings, seals and trim reuse/replace as required
  • "Walk in freezer" AC a high priority :)
  •  
  • Comfortable seats with good support for long haul driving eats more comfort than performance
  • Interior light kit
    Upgraded suspension
    Upgraded brakes
    LED front and rear lighting kit options?

• Like 1

Hey JJ welcome to the board! Your plans sound great. I myself am in the middle of a frame off restoration for my 71SS. You can see my progress current on YouTube. 

Hi Ronald, here is a you tube link to the car. Looking up some more pics.  Full disclosure, car was stored outside for last six years while I worked overseas, so in a bit rougher shape mostly bodywise, but still runs and is now driven a bit more regularly 

• Like 5

Ronald, forgetting my manners!!  Thanks for the welcome. For any forum members who may justifiably be wondering why I'm resto-modding, instead of restoration, the history on it is engine is a replacement from a junkyard, the vinyl top is not the same color combo as factory and I dont think the carpet is original.  I primarily want to have a comfortable modern interior for long haul drives.  Looking forward to getting the project underway, but figure the more time spent in research before I start, should go a long way to prevent major (expensive) mid-project changes. 

• Like 1

I totally understand. I am doing a minor resto-mod as my engine is not the original either. Will you be doing most of the work yourself? 

Welcome JJ. Ambitious plans indeed. What part of Fla are you in? I have a friend who relocated to Fla and opened another shop, general repair but has and loves doing exactly what you are looking to do. For power and reliability I would look into the GM crate engine, trans, harness, computer combo. Very hard to beat in price when you consider all the components separately. Again, welcome!

4 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Welcome JJ. Ambitious plans indeed. What part of Fla are you in? I have a friend who relocated to Fla and opened another shop, general repair but has and loves doing exactly what you are looking to do. For power and reliability I would look into the GM crate engine, trans, harness, computer combo. Very hard to beat in price when you consider all the components separately. Again, welcome!

Would very much like to get the info on your friends shop...

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

For power and reliability I would look into the GM crate engine, trans, harness, computer combo. Very hard to beat in price when you consider all the components separately. 

Probably the best advice if you don't plan on doing a majority of the work, especially because it comes with a warranty. As for the dash and instrument cluster, there are a variety of conversion kits to swap out the gauges but I personally plan on going with Dakota Digital, I think some of the other members already have them.

Welcome!

3 hours ago, 72RustBucket said:

but I personally plan on going with Dakota Digital, I think some of the other members already have them.

Welcome JJ, sounds like a really great plan you have there, should be a real nice car when it's done (are they ever really done?).

I have the Dakota Digital RTX gauge package, looks like a stock SS type dash, but will interface with the electronics/EFI and will provide plenty of info. 

Good luck, and we like pictures, a lot of them.

Oh, regarding your budget....get your rough guess estimates.....and double it. That'll put you roughly thousands still below what it'll really cost, lol.

Welcome to the Madness JJ , there are a few members in SoFlo. Be sure to keep an eye out for the YATC car show in Deerfield Beach when things are back to normal, usually around 800 cars, a good day for sure. Your Monte looks great for sitting outside in the Florida weather.

Lots of information on this site and plenty of members willing to help you spend your money lol, and save some too. There is a member here (Arizona I think) that did a LS swap (motor & trans kit) and drove his Monte to the Carlise meet. As Joe mentioned, the RTX dash is absolutely gorgeous and checks all the boxes. There is a vendor that does the LED taillights (there is a link below) that I think are great and can be plug and play. Can't speak for any other LED bulb upgrades. 

As mentioned we love pictures and progress updates. 

Welcome! Great looking Monte. You will have a great car once you are done with those plans. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Hello all Fla residents. My friends repair shop is Dixie Auto Repair. 2630 Dixie Highway, Wilton Manors Fla. Google him and make your own choice but I know he does first rate work. 

6 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Hello all Fla residents. My friends repair shop is Dixie Auto Repair. 2630 Dixie Highway, Wilton Manors Fla. Google him and make your own choice but I know he does first rate work. 

Looks like a nice shop. Lot of pictures if you just go to the google hit that pops up.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x88d90113164b83cb%3A0xe6475eb58c697285!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMZekP4VGblgBXYZi0KrCiXZ-M9VWf76IaMMtqJ%3Dw213-h160-k-no!5sDixie Auto Repair. 2630 Dixie Highway%2C Wilton Manors Fl - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMZekP4VGblgBXYZi0KrCiXZ-M9VWf76IaMMtqJ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG4aKEzurwAhWVFFkFHc1mABsQoiowC3oECDAQAw

• Like 1