Images of transmission tags needed

I am looking for images of the tag for TH350, TH400 and the M20 for 1970-72 Monte Carlos. I'm going to work on a transmission decoding page and the tags will help me with my research. I may also use the image on the site as an example.

image.png

• Like 1

I'll get you the one from my 72 Monte tomorrow. Working nights now, but It's in the basement, just have to dig it out from under the stairs.

8 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Uhhh, before I crawl under the car, where might this be located on the tranny?. Have never really looked for it...

It should be on the passenger side, right near the middle, a few inches above the oil pan flange.

• Like 1

Ask and you shall receive…

I am very curious to see what you decode. My understanding is the 330 is the Julian date of assembly (so 26 November ‘69). Same as your example.

But what really piques my interest is that my number (5289) is only eight off of the one you provided (5281). 

I would love to know how close these two cars might be. Mine was Van Nuys built and the last six digits of the Vin are 1 6 6 0 1 3. 

Let me know what you come up with, Aaron. 

0F1EDF79-A786-422B-80F9-E2B9A806DE61.jpeg

• Like 2

Glen, the trans tag pic that Aaron posted is one I sent him recently from my car.  It's a Van Nuys SS and the sequence number of the VIN is 164181.  The car was assembled the second week of January, 1970. 

I believe our transmissions were built only 8 apart!  Just with your code being CR, I can tell you have a '70 SS, also. 

Dan

20200229_185250.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overdrive said:

Glen, the trans tag pic that Aaron posted is one I sent him recently from my car.  It's a Van Nuys SS and the sequence number of the VIN is 164181.  The car was assembled the second week of January, 1970. 

I believe our transmissions were built only 8 apart!  Just with your code being CR, I can tell you have a '70 SS, also. 

Dan

\\\\\\\\\

Pretty wild stuff.   Yep, I see that your car was built and 14 January 70.  My girl was born on 22 January.

And since your build sheet is so legible, looking at it compared to the one I have, it raises a question to another mystery…

Does anyone here know how to decipher the “Options” numbers (in the boxes directly above the “Van Nuys, California” in the bottom-right corner of the build sheet?  

The “1 3 3 1 3” as shown on your build sheet is also stamped on my Protect-O-Plate. I never noticed it also appears on my build sheet;  it’s barely visible until I looked for it after seeing yours.

I’ve never seen any literature that explains exactly what these options are.  And I am assuming they must be something reasonably common because I’ve seen the same numbers on other build sheets (if memory serves me correctly).

9D509FDC-5E65-403A-ACAE-0319B283894D.png

• Like 1

I discovered this last night with Glen’s protectoplate and Dan’s transmission tag. Both with the code 70R330. Both TH400s built on the same day for 454 cars and believed to be only 8 units apart.

• Like 2

I’m re-posting this because I think I got lost with Dan’s earlier comment:

Pretty wild stuff.   Yep, I see that your car was built and 14 January 70.  My girl was born on 22 January.

And since your build sheet is so legible, looking at it compared to the one I have, it raises a question to another mystery…

Does anyone here know how to decipher the “Options” numbers (in the boxes directly above the “Van Nuys, California” in the bottom-right corner of the build sheet?  

The “1 3 3 1 3” as shown on your build sheet is also stamped on my Protect-O-Plate. I never noticed it also appears on my build sheet;  it’s barely visible until I looked for it after seeing yours.

I’ve never seen any literature that explains exactly what these options are.  And I am assuming they must besomething reasonably common because I’ve seen the same numbers on other build sheets (if memory serves me correctly).

2 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

My build sheet shows 1 . 3. 1 . in those boxes. It doesn't have any codes in the engine axle or trans boxes on the bottom of the sheet. My was built in Baltimore. 

Hopefully someone chimes in with some information at some point. When I was trying to decipher all these numbers before I joined you folks here at FGMCC, I almost made the mistake of walking away from purchasing my girl based on not being 100% convinced that it was a legitimate SS.  The inspection service alleviated that concern. Here’s those same numbers stamped in my Protect-O-Plate…

F1D56019-6B39-4F2D-AE1F-EA0BE75C714F.png

• Like 1

This may help in decoding but not usable picture. 
First picture is original tag on transmission. I sent trans out to be rebuilt and this is what it looks like now (second picture). 
(230   71CF    2716 )

Third picture is one I made to put on the car. 
Forth picture is on the car 

im going to have one made at some point just not high on the priority list. Lol. 

4D620E31-954B-4503-8114-E4816AEF4474.png

C07FDAE8-7936-4DCD-BE8F-8C8CBADA6FF2.jpeg

388541AB-40E9-41EC-A510-4FDAEE475D60.jpeg

89C42ED0-3CF1-4842-B2F6-E238CAEC60CF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

This may help in decoding but not usable picture. 
First picture is original tag on transmission. I sent trans out to be rebuilt and this is what it looks like now (second picture). 
(230   71CF    2716 )

Third picture is one I made to put on the car. 
Forth picture is on the car 

im going to have one made at some point just not high on the priority list. Lol. 

4D620E31-954B-4503-8114-E4816AEF4474.png

C07FDAE8-7936-4DCD-BE8F-8C8CBADA6FF2.jpeg

388541AB-40E9-41EC-A510-4FDAEE475D60.jpeg

89C42ED0-3CF1-4842-B2F6-E238CAEC60CF.jpeg

After looking at your pictures, I am so glad the dude who rebuilt mine took the time and effort to remove the tag. He was even able to reuse the original rivet when reattaching it. 

E2ADD4A8-57EF-4B4F-AF4B-7B2CE1E8D563.png

7E944D12-B15D-49BE-A301-5C2BBB786CD5.png

• Like 2

Here's from a 72 Custom, 402/T400. Paint from tag is washed off, but the stamped numbers appear to be original.

20211211_071633.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glen said:

After looking at your pictures, I am so glad the dude who rebuilt mine took the time and effort to remove the tag. He was even able to reuse the original rivet when reattaching it. 

E2ADD4A8-57EF-4B4F-AF4B-7B2CE1E8D563.png

7E944D12-B15D-49BE-A301-5C2BBB786CD5.png

Ya I told my guy to save the tag. I guess we had a miscommunication. His version of “ save the tag “ was different from mine. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

Here's from a 72 Custom, 402/T400. Paint from tag is washed off, but the stamped numbers appear to be original.

20211211_071633.jpg

It still has all the required info. Thanks!

• Like 1

Are those tags just on the th400? I looked at the extra th350 I have and was no tag on it. I know it was never removed because that car was in the family it's entire life. It was a 71 caprice sb 400 2 barrel with th350,  my mother in law bought it new and it remained in family until body fell apart. I kept the motor and trans out of it. I can't get under my monte at the moment to look at that one.

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Are those tags just on the th400? I looked at the extra th350 I have and was no tag on it. I know it was never removed because that car was in the family it's entire life. It was a 71 caprice sb 400 2 barrel with th350,  my mother in law bought it new and it remained in family until body fell apart. I kept the motor and trans out of it. I can't get under my monte at the moment to look at that one.

That could be. I know the TH400 codes are completely different than the other transmissions so possibly they don’t have the tags on them. Maybe the TH350 is just stamped in the casing? I’m not sure. This is the kind of stuff I need to figure out to make the page.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sbarnette said:

Mine’s not in the greatest shape, but here it is.

A6E99FFF-156B-4DBD-9670-721B827642E5.jpeg

CR is the correct code for an SS. Is this a numbers matching transmission to your SS? 

I don't understand the 415 on your tag. 

Dan

1 hour ago, overdrive said:

CR is the correct code for an SS. Is this a numbers matching transmission to your SS? 

I don't understand the 415 on your tag. 

Dan

Where would I find the VIN on the transmission to verify?