Replace water pump

Crom Cruach

Local mechanic is advising me to replace the water pump, get the rad cleaned and sealed, and replace hoses.  the water pump is likely the original. Looking at a high flow aluminum “Proform Parts 67265” from summit. Would you be inclined to go for this one, or an AC Delco, or even leave the old one in there?

The coolant was getting out and it looked like overheating, but I found the overflow hose was blocked and it hasn’t leaked since. Don’t fix what ain’t broke, or preventative maintenance?

If it's not leaking and has no play in it why replace it? How does the anti freeze look? What kind of shape are the hoses in. You probably don't need to upgrade to a performance water pump but if it needs to be replaced do insist on a new unit not rebuilt. It's not a real hard job to do either just make sure you clean where the gaskets go good. If you do replace it that would be the time to do anything else the cooling system needs too.

• Like 4

FWIW, when I got my Griffin aluminum radiator, they specifically said NOT to use a high flow water pump. They suggested a stock replacement pump. They want the coolant to stay in the rad for sufficient time to ensure heat transfer, otherwise it's just recirculating hot coolant in the system. Granted, it's a high performance radiator vs. a stocker, but they're the 'experts'.

• Like 3

I may not be that knowledgeable on these performance water pumps but I can give you an example from where I worked at about water flow and heat transfer. I spent 29 years in the natural gas business working at compressor stations. One of our stations upstream from where I worked had a problem with the engines running hot particularly in the summer. One of the old original pipeliners that I worked with noticed that they were running both auxiliary water pumps for these engines. He stated the water was traveling too fast through the engine to properly transfer heat. He told the superintendent at the station to shut off one of the water pumps , it was hard to get an old guy to do this because it had run a certain way for over 25 years but he shut down one of the water pumps. That changed the flow rate and did not have any more heat problems from those engines. Evidently the flow of the water was correct to get a proper heat transfer and keep the engines at a consistent temperature. 
John S

• Like 2

My .02 is if it aint broke leave it alone. If you do be sure to replace short for short or long for long. And like Steve said, if you do might not be a bad idea to check /change other coolant related items

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott S. said:

A good flush and a new thermostat may be in the cards too....

I ran the garden hose through with the engine running for 10 minutes, is that a good flush, or are you talking about a professional treatment Scott?

I think that’s good enough for the engine and radiator but there’s a good chance the heater valve didn’t open so you may not have got the heater core and hoses. It wouldn’t have gotten warm enough to open. 

3 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

So, same but for longer? Chemical flush?

I don’t recommend chemicals. But the best option for the heater core is to to pull the hoses. I do recommend warm to hot water. 

• Like 2

I have done the flush on heater core. Yup ,remove your heater hoses at engine hot water in,see how much flow you have. If not what is going in, you need to fill with 50% distilled vinegar, let set over night, drain ,then hot water again.You'll see the stuff holding back flow. I used an old hose end and plastic tube clamped to heater hose on the inlet side(hose coming from water pump). We call that a MacGyver move over in the States.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

I ran the garden hose through with the engine running for 10 minutes, is that a good flush, or are you talking about a professional treatment Scott?

Nope... Just the garden hose while running. When the water runs clear, most of the chemicals are out.

P.S. Drain the old A/F first, less mess. ;)

20 hours ago, Dtret said:

I think that’s good enough for the engine and radiator but there’s a good chance the heater valve didn’t open so you may not have got the heater core and hoses. It wouldn’t have gotten warm enough to open. 

You can always remove it for the flush.... If you're talking about the thermostat. 

The hearer valve is controlled by a cable to the inside, if I'm reading you right. 

The cable controls the air flow to the interior of the car. It opens and closes the flapper doors under the dash. The heater core always flows at engine temperature with thermostat open. It’s controlled by a valve on the fender well (70) or by the valve on the intake (71). I’m not sure about 72, I don’t have one. Yet. 

22 hours ago, Dtret said:

The cable controls the air flow to the interior of the car. It opens and closes the flapper doors under the dash. The heater core always flows at engine temperature with thermostat open. It’s controlled by a valve on the fender well (70) or by the valve on the intake (71). I’m not sure about 72, I don’t have one. Yet. 

O.K...

Weird question, I have a flushing tee in my heater return line that only leaked (through the cap) when I used the heater. Otherwise it never gave me any problem. 

Why would that happen ?

P.S. I've since replaced the gasket in the cap and solved the problem.

When the heater selector is off the vacuum closes the valve slowing water flow at a low pressure ( that’s why you always get some heat out the vents when it’s off). When you turn it on it opens the valve and releases full pressure to the heater core and hoses. 

• Like 1

No. All 70's had it on the passenger side fender well. Without a valve, hot water constantly flows through the heater core, when the engine is warmed up. 

Unless you have an aftermarket heating/ a/c system.