1972 Monte Carlo Rear trim panel between deck lid and rear bumper

Hey everyone, this is my 1st time here as I am a new member.  My wife and I have a 72 Monte we are in the process of restoring.  I have been pretty successful finding the parts we need to complete this job although some took almost a year to arrive.  The one part I cannot locate new or used is the trim panel that runs along the back of the car beneath the trunk lid and above the rear bumper.  I didn't realize until today that this piece appears to be on the 72 model only.  The 70 and 71 do not have it.  When I purchased the car almost six year ago the car had some minor rear damage and I tried to use the damaged panel as a bargaining chip, knowing it may be hard to find.  The former owner opened the trunk and there were two more in the trunk.   All three pieces I have are damaged.  I am looking for a good new or used panel or if someone knows of a place or way to straighten the ones we currently have.  The car is rust free, unmolested and only has 115K original miles

• Like 1

Hey Gary, welcome!!

While I haven’t purchased from him (yet), the consensus here is a Leo has everything you might need.  See link below.

And I’ll see it before everyone else does… We love pictures here… The more the better.  Good luck!

https://koniksklassiks.com/product/72-monte-rear-trim-krs36/

• Like 1

There is an NOS one on marketplace. You’re not going to like the price. 1500 just for the center section. 
Apparently we should have purchased the one that we saw in Carlisle guys. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Welcome Gary!!!    As others said they are out there but very pricey. 

I have been looking for someone to restore a set for myself, but haven't found anyone close yet!!   Good Luck on your search.

• Like 1

I had mine restored from a place in California a couple years ago. All told with shipping (expensive), etc it was about $800, for all 3 pieces, and that included them painting in the black accent lines.

The original gentleman retired, but I think his partner is still doing it. If interested, LMK and I'll look it up.

• Like 1

One of our members did mine up nice. CZO3? Was his avatar name.lived in Michigan and had a sweet cherry red Monte he came to Carlisle one year. Can't remember his name! It was dinged up pretty bad, looks new . Terrible with names....Rob Peter's might be able to help you find him. He's always looking for something to do.😆

Edited by 420ponies
Added content

31 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

One of our members did mine up nice. CZO3? Was his avatar name.lived in Michigan and had a sweet cherry red Monte he came to Carlisle one year. Can't remember his name! It was dinged up pretty bad, looks new . Terrible with names....Rob Peter's might be able to help you find him. He's always looking for something to do.😆

JIM, you may be thinking about Cory Mohlman.  In reality I think his screen name is CKZ03.  He rarely gets onto the club website so sending him a PM may be the best way to reach him.

rob

• Like 1

We have a CKZ03 that's a member from Michigan.

Rob beat me to it, lol. Last time he logged in was July 10th.

31 minutes ago, Leghome said:

Cory was thinking of selling his Monte if he already has not.  Divorce can mess things up big time

I can attest to that. But sometimes you end up better off. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I can attest to that. But sometimes you end up better off. 

Keep the car, get rid of the girl. Get a puppy instead...

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Dtret said:

There is an NOS one on marketplace. You’re not going to like the price. 1500 just for the center section. 
Apparently we should have purchased the one that we saw in Carlisle guys. Lol. 

Yeah mine..lol

Thanks guys, I have been doing my own research and pretty much came up with the same information you all have.  i have left messages with a couple vendors and have yet to hear back from them.  I have heard there may be a place in Phoenix and/or Tucson Arizona that may be able to restore the panels.  I will let you all know if it works or I hit a dead end.  If I can find a place that can repair them for a reasonable price, I may have all three of mine done now that I know how rare they are.

Also I heard you all like to see pictures.  I just picked up our car from the body shop yesterday.  It is not a show car, we are going to drive it but we are very happy with the results.  Check out the pics.  The car is Gulf Green, when we acquired the car, it had a black vinyl top.  I found the build sheet under the back seat and it showed it originally came with a green top.  So that is what we put on it.  

20221022_113323.jpg

20221022_113309.jpg

20221022_113253.jpg

20221022_112027.jpg

20221022_112010.jpg

20221022_111955.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice car, I think I remember it in High School, can't remember the kid who was driving it but did remember it was special to their family and well cared for.  I had sold my 72 and it went to be restored in Tempe, the shop had bought 2 NOS rear trim panels and both were not perfect, in the packages still. The owner of the restoration shop said he thinks GM used all the good ones during the assembly and set aside the flawed ones to resell as NOS. They had well over 100K into the car so he ended up having one fully restored.