Spring in lower hose

Steve G

Hello everyone, my new radiator hoses came in and the lower does not have a spring inside..  my old hose from the sbc and the bbc both had springs in them.. is this necessary? 
thank you.

Seems that none of the replacement hoses nowadays contain the spring in the lower hose anymore. Some descriptions of hoses say they're specifically designed with materials to resist vacuum collapse. When I replaced the hoses on my Monte & Camaro recently, the spring that was in the old hoses were so nasty looking, I left them out, based on research at the time. Maybe the next time I run them though, I'll rev it up and see if the lower hose starts to collapse at all. 

Some places sell replacement springs though, with stainless ones available as well which may help them resist corrosion like the old ones.

Here is a partial example from NAPA for a 72 Monte lower hose description, and also specifically says no spring included:

Features & Benefits

Specifically-engineered materials resist collapse under vacuum; Engineered to resist electrochemical degradation, the leading cause of hose failure; Pre-shaped to fit and to ensure perfectly sealed conditions; EPDM tube; synthetic fiber knit reinforcement; heat-, ozone- and chemical coolant-resistant EPDM cover...........

Attributes

Brand: NAPA
Clamp Included: No
Hose Steel Coil: No
I.D. 1 (in): 1.5 in.
I.D. 1 (mm): 38 mm
I.D. 2 (in): 1.75 in.
I.D. 2 (mm): 44 mm
Includes Spring: No
Inside Diameter: 1.5
Material: EPDM Rubber
Modular Hose: No
Mounting Hardware Included: No
Overall Length: 25.1
Protective Sleeve Included: No
SDS Required: No
Spring Included: No

This is a partial list of what GATES says about their lower hose:

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

EPDM tube, synthetic fiber knit reinforcement, heat- and ozone-resistant EPDM cover.

Specifically engineered materials resist vacuum collapse to reduce the need for internal springs in many applications.

• Like 2

I just replaced the hoses on my 71 when the radiator was reworked. I picked up hoses at Advance Auto and no spring in the lower hose either. I reused the spring from my old hose. Even though the hoses were made in China, they were molded and fit perfectly, unlike some I replaced years ago and had to trim.

• Like 2

Pro tip: just re-use the existing hose. It should clean up fairly well. It doesn't restrict flow and an ounce of prevention........ 

4 minutes ago, cbolt said:

Pro tip: just re-use the existing hose. It should clean up fairly well. It doesn't restrict flow and an ounce of prevention........ 

I disagree.

The original coating on my springs was long gone & they were rusty. I could have sandblasted and painted my crappy springs. How long do you think that would have lasted?

When I popped mine out it was fine, just discolored. It could have been a replacement hose with a spring for all I know, but there it was. 

Inspecting the spring before re-installation would be common sense. 

I cleaned my spring up and reused it. It was alittle rusty on bottom of the spring that i cleaned off with some copper/bronze wool. Painted it and reused. I found that surprising because there was no water in the cooling system at all. However i took out about 4-5 gal of water then oil (on top) when i took the oil out, when i redid my Monte.

So, out of curiosity, I looked at the old hose from the Camaro again. In the process of removing it from the hose this time around, it came out in 2 pieces. Not exactly something that's good for your water pump or thermostat if it came apart if it was re-used and failed months/years later ....

20230106_082118.jpg

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Joe use an electrical butt connector, squeeze it and put it back in the hose. Good as new.  lol 😂 

Good idea! Maybe I'll put some shrink tubing over it too...like a pro.

Of the two hoses one spring looks like it has barnacles growing on it, I doubt it could be transferred, the other hose looks like the spring is built in or something. So as of now I don’t have a spring.

4 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Of the two hoses one spring looks like it has barnacles growing on it, I doubt it could be transferred, the other hose looks like the spring is built in or something. So as of now I don’t have a spring.

It didn't take much for the spring I posted above to come apart. 

Dennis & I spoke on the phone a little bit ago and agree that with modern materials & manufacturing techniques, it doesn't appear the springs are included for a reason anymore. That being said, they're available from other vendors if it makes you feel better.

Also, if someone was buying a NOS hose from years ago, it would probably need the spring. But then again, I certainly wouldn't trust a 50 year old rubber hose either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jft69z said:

It didn't take much for the spring I posted above to come apart. 

Dennis & I spoke on the phone a little bit ago and agree that with modern materials & manufacturing techniques, it doesn't appear the springs are included for a reason anymore. That being said, they're available from other vendors if it makes you feel better.

Also, if someone was buying a NOS hose from years ago, it would probably need the spring. But then again, I certainly wouldn't trust a 50 year old rubber hose either.

Yeah.. most NOS stuff is great but ya got to draw the line somewhere. I had a customer bring me a NOS R/T charger decal kit from 1969 to put on his car that he paid a fortune for.... bad idea

20 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Yeah.. most NOS stuff is great but ya got to draw the line somewhere. I had a customer bring me a NOS R/T charger decal kit from 1969 to put on his car that he paid a fortune for.... bad idea

I'd bet that decal was nearly useless & brittle too. And you'd be the a**hole in his eyes, if the thing fell apart in your hands trying to apply it to the vehicle.

So I repaired the spring as Dennis suggested. It's for sale and I'll paint it any color you want. It also comes with a "30/30" Guarantee! (30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first).  :yay:

20230106_094141.jpg

20230106_094229.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I'd bet that decal was nearly useless & brittle too. And you'd be the a**hole in his eyes, if the thing fell apart in your hands trying to apply it to the vehicle.

So I repaired the spring as Dennis suggested. It's for sale and I'll paint it any color you want. It also comes with a "30/30" Guarantee! (30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first).  :yay:

20230106_094141.jpg

20230106_094229.jpg

I would prefer soldered thank you
 We couldn’t even get the backing off the vinyl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Steve G said:

I would prefer soldered thank you
 We couldn’t even get the backing off the vinyl.

But I used the adhesive lined shrink tubing....😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heck,I'd carry that in my emergency tool box just in case that hose did collapse.... Boy Scouts motto "always prepared"... good work Joe,glad to see your doing something other than out in the hot tub! Can you tell I'm getting ready for retirement?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 420ponies said:

Heck,I'd carry that in my emergency tool box just in case that hose did collapse.... Boy Scouts motto "always prepared"... good work Joe,glad to see your doing something other than out in the hot tub! Can you tell I'm getting ready for retirement?

I carry an extra alt. Belt ever since I broke down the day I first met you at the windmill show.  I remember that day with fond and bad memories but at least Hagerty road service was there to help. And yes retirement is great you will enjoy it, of course your wife may get sick of you 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I carry an extra alt. Belt ever since I broke down the day I first met you at the windmill show.  I remember that day with fond and bad memories but at least Hagerty road service was there to help. And yes retirement is great you will enjoy it, of course your wife may get sick of you 😅

In desperation I used a bunch of industrial zip ties as an alternator belt..  it was LOUD.. but it worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 420ponies said:

"... good work Joe,glad to see your doing something other than out in the hot tub! Can you tell I'm getting ready for retirement?

Thanks Jim, lol. You will love being retired!

Lately, I'm catching up on the DVR and not feeling bad about it either. Last week I did finish up sorting a lot of those small parts bins and clearing up some counter space though. I also need to add another row of bins in the new building for nuts, bolts, etc. I just have to secure the Unistrut and louvered panels to the wall to mount more bins.

20230106_135223.jpg

20230106_135530.jpg

• Like 4

I spent some time trying to clean off my bench after the last project, got down to 2X2 area before I called it quits. The bench is better but now I have a box on the shelf labeled bench s**t 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2