Upper radiator hose strap fabrication

TheBMan

There have been threads about where to get the upper radiator hose strap that secures the hose to the shroud but we all know that originals or reproductions are no longer available. I've been using these push-pin wire ties from Amazon, and they work fine, but I thought I'd try to make my own for a more polished look.

I bought a piece of 1/16" x 1/2" metal strip at Lowes and I had some large heat-shrink tubing that fit nicely over the metal. First I cut a strip of metal about 8 5/8" and drilled a 1/4" hole in each end. Then I slid the heat-shrink over the metal and applied heat to shrink the tubing over the metal to shrink to a nice fit. Then I used a paper hole punch to cut through the heat-shrink and then bent one end as you can see in the photos. Then I used a small aerosol can as a form to bend the metal around to get a nice circle shape. Then some manual tweaking to get it the final way I wanted it. Then I used a 1/4" plastic push-in trim button to secure the strap to the shroud.

It was a fun, relatively quick project. Hopefully it helps someone else if they're wondering what to do about a missing hose strap.

Happy New Year!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 9

Neat idea..... And you can custom fit it to the hose.

I've tried the pre-made one's, but there's to much spring in them and the hole's to big for the push in clip to hold properly. 

• Like 1

Looks nice!

Picture of the last one I purchased years ago.

I think I got it from Capri Blasco, but I may be wrong.

IMG_0604.JPG

• Like 3

Are they long enough?

6.69" ???

My picture shows it to be a bit longer I believe.

34 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

16 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Are they long enough?

6.69" ???

My picture shows it to be a bit longer I believe.

They're too short, as is. I have a couple here in stock. I was going to cut to fit & join the two together, just haven't got to it yet.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jft69z said:

They're too short, as is. I have a couple here in stock. I was going to cut to fit & join the two together, just haven't got to it yet.

Assuming the AMK straps are the same as the one in the picture provided by Bruce, it looks like the 6.69" does not include the rounded ends. A 2" radiator hose would have a circumference of 6.28" so technically these straps would be long enough BUT Joe says they're too short and I tend to believe him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

Assuming the AMK straps are the same as the one in the picture provided by Bruce, it looks like the 6.69" does not include the rounded ends. A 2" radiator hose would have a circumference of 6.28" so technically these straps would be long enough BUT Joe says they're too short and I tend to believe him.

My hose is a bit of a ways from the hole too, which doesn't help. Another member has a picture and dimensions of the original strap around here somewhere.  I'm at a Dr appt now, but will find it later.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jft69z said:

LOL, I participated in that conversation and forgot all about it. 

@jft69z Joe, you said you were going to cut and join two of the straps together. What's your method for 'welding' the plastic?

2 hours ago, TheBMan said:

LOL, I participated in that conversation and forgot all about it. 

@jft69z Joe, you said you were going to cut and join two of the straps together. What's your method for 'welding' the plastic?

I was probably just going to heat them up and mate then together, trying on the disposable pieces first to see if it worked. I also have a plastic welding setup that would probably work good too.

One other thought I had, while sitting in the Dr. office was just using some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. The splice would basically be hidden under the hose, and there is no stress whatsoever on the strap, so it wouldn't really be under any load. That strap is pretty much just a cosmetic detail, so overlap them a little maybe and seal the deal with the heat shrink.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scott S. said:

When all else fails, there's always duct tape..... LOL

Or black electrical tape...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

For that more plasticy appearance.... ;)

Lol, and it works good with a paper towel to make impromptu band-aids when you cut yourself 🙂

4 hours ago, Scott S. said:

The corner of a somewhat clean rag works too.

You could also rib a strip off of your handkerchief and tie it around your finger/arm or calf  voice of experience. When I severed q tendon in my thumb several years ago with blood spouting like a geyser a dusty and chip filled paper towel worked just fine. When I got to the ER the nurse looked at that said wee need to clean that out.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Leghome said:

You could also rib a strip off of your handkerchief and tie it around your finger/arm or calf  voice of experience. When I severed q tendon in my thumb several years ago with blood spouting like a geyser a dusty and chip filled paper towel worked just fine. When I got to the ER the nurse looked at that said wee need to clean that out.

Larry i had the same issue once, only on my leg, however the nurse asked if i had been drinking, that i smelt like alcohol??? Anyone that knows me. knows i don't drink alcohol. It happened outside a bar. Walked in and told the bartender i needed a bottle of jack, poured the whole bottle on my leg and wrapped it with dining room cloth napkins. Nurse liked my emergency skills!!!!   LOL

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 8:42 PM, Dtret said:

Another mod point lost. lol 😂

Geez, I’ll be in negative territory if you keep counting Dennis, “ give me a break, man “. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4