Pertronix upgrade from points

Canuck

I have installed the Pertronix electronic ignition in my distributor of my 1970 small block. Is there a problem using my original style coil and 7mm plug wires? I realize there’s an opportunity to upgrade but would prefer to use original style equipment if I can.

I'd say no issues at all. You're using the factory coil, not some high output type, or a MSD ignition. Basically, the high voltage system is stock specifications, just the trigger mechanism is electronic now, instead of breaker points.

Also, it's not like you have very high compression, which would maybe benefit from increased spark energy.

• Like 2

I have used Pertronix ignitions for many years and have been very pleased. I definitely prefer the lobe sensor model. I have used 7mm wires and stock as well as high performance coils. Be sure to bypass the ballast resistor for full voltage to the coil.

• Like 1

Arron, on Barn Find I used a pertronix distributor, their coil and wires that Kevin donated, that were "in stock" for 10 yrs prior. All look stock. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chevy Dave said:

Be sure to bypass the ballast resistor for full voltage to the coil.

I have a car in the shop now with an old pertronix conversion (like 30 years ago I think). The car also has a stock type coil that specifically says on the side of it to use with a ballast resistor, or resistance wire, not full 12 volts (except for starting, which typically uses full voltage). This car here does still use the resistance wire, as well as the old voltage regulator too.

I just looked up some instructions for the original series ignition conversion (Igniter series), where it says to use a resistance wire, and not an HEI type coil. Later units (Igniter II & III) say you can bypass the wire, use a different coil, etc. I guess it depends what series conversion setup you have, and follow the directions that come with it.

Igniter series, part #1181:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/1181.pdf

Igniter III:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/71181.pdf

• Like 3

I also have an older Pertronix ignition where the original coil is being used along with the resistor wire. But it is an older model. And it works fine no issues. I’m sure it’s better than breaker points.

John S

• Like 1

If you are looking for a stronger spark into the cylinder you need to get the Flame Thrower Coil. This will give you a stronger spark , -20 deg. before and +20 deg. after TDC. you can also increase your spark plug gap to increase the "flame" across the cylinder. Believe me when I say it really woke up a 383 Mopar in a '66 Coronet 440. the engine was snappy to being lazy on the throttle. Yup,  Pertronix has come a long way since the '90's.

Edited by 420ponies
added content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 420ponies said:

If you are looking for a stronger spark into the cylinder you need to get the Flame Thrower Coil. 

It won't work with the unit he has, unless he goes to a different unit. He sent me a pic of what he has, it is the 1181 kit. It appears to pretty much be a points replacement unit only, which also says to keep the resistance wire and points type coil (not full 12 voltage during continuous use). 

This is really good timing for me, because yesterday I was starting to go thru that Camaro's wiring and noticed the coil said use resistor, and still had the resistance wire. I wondered if that should have full 12 volts, and if I should rewire it on the fly, while going through the rest of it. Based on what I see now, I'm going to leave it be.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure when I installed mine 10 or so years ago it said to upgrade the coil from stock to high output,  I got an accel coil for mine. I don't remember the specs but for some reason 40 k is In my head but could be wrong. I haven't had a problem with it since installed.

• Like 1

This is a snip from the instructions of the 1181 unit Aaron currently has. Seems pretty specific about what type coil they recommend.

Later versions (Ignitor II and III) say to upgrade coil and remove ballast resistors/resistance wire.

pertronix info.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

41 minutes ago, jft69z said:

This is a snip from the instructions of the 1181 unit Aaron currently has. Seems pretty specific about what type coil they recommend.

Later versions (Ignitor II and III) say to upgrade coil and remove ballast resistors/resistance wire.

pertronix info.JPG

The recommendation to not delete the ballast resistor has been added since I installed these systems over ten years ago. Petronics used to recommend bypassing it.

I would certainly recommend following the instructions that came with your kit.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chevy Dave said:

The recommendation to not delete the ballast resistor has been added since I installed these systems over ten years ago. Petronics used to recommend bypassing it.

I would certainly recommend following the instructions that came with your kit.

Yep, when in doubt....read the instructions.

It depends on what model you have though. As mentioned, they have different models where the instructions say remove resistance wire/ballast and upgrade coil.

This was also included on the instruction sheet for the 1181 unit:

pertronix info1.JPG

• Like 1

All I know about the Pertronix system is NOT to use old old school solid copper spark plug wires. My nephew had his changed during a restoration (1963 Triumph TR-3B) and they didn't replace the old spark plug wires. The Pertronix failed two times. Now with resistor type wires, all is well. There is a company that converted our stock distributor to a more modern GM HEI type system, without the giant dist cap. https://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

• Thank You! 1

1 minute ago, 420ponies said:

This is why I like this Club !! Always straight on the subject.

And never no thread high jacking. That just ain’t the way we do things. 

• Kook 1

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

And never no thread high jacking. That just ain’t the way we do things. 

This is probably the only thread in recent history that you didn't hijack (until now) :yay:

• Like 1
  • You're Welcome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Oh jeez… here we go. 🤣

Were you testing us to see how long we could go?  The question ALWAYS gets answered. 😆

• Haha 2