43 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Hmmm..... Let 20 Monte fanatics tear Montelishi apart.......????

Are you sure you don't work for border security ???? :k

:D

We've done it before. A member locked his keys in the trunk shortly after arriving to the hotel for the Western Meet. We had to pull the back seat out and work at popping that trunk lid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

It's more of a curiousity thing at this point..... I bought it from a legitimate, reputable dealership and had the title cleared, so I'm thinking I'm pretty safe. 

I’m sure. It’s probably more curiosity at this point. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Canuck said:

:D

We've done it before. A member locked his keys in the trunk shortly after arriving to the hotel for the Western Meet. We had to pull the back seat out and work at popping that trunk lid. 

I usually over pack all sorts of tools when loading up the trailer for the meets.

I'll put the battery powered Sawzall and angle grinder & cutoff wheels on the list for this year, just in case..😁.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I usually over pack all sorts of tools when loading up the trailer for the meets.

I'll put the battery powered Sawzall and angle grinder & cutoff wheels on the list for this year, just in case..😁.

Absolutely. I may need them if I bring Green. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I’m sure. It’s probably more curiosity at this point. 

If it passed DMV you should be fine. In Fl they're sticklers on classic cars dealer or not. Personal sales require extra paperwork 🙃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

If it passed DMV you should be fine. In Fl they're sticklers on classic cars dealer or not. Personal sales require extra paperwork 🙃

Mark up here it's a bit different, a hand full of years ago i had purchased a 2001 Harley Sportster with a Penn title. Brought it home, registered her, a month later i get a phone call from the DMV the inspector needed to inspect the bike. Everything checked out ok but i couldn't keep it registered under as a Harly as the vin wasn't a Harley vin. It was a Penn vin. Because of that i had to reregister her as a 2015 custom bike. Nice bike, but i wound up selling it because i never found the time to ride her.

10 hours ago, willie said:

Mark up here it's a bit different, a hand full of years ago i had purchased a 2001 Harley Sportster with a Penn title. Brought it home, registered her, a month later i get a phone call from the DMV the inspector needed to inspect the bike. Everything checked out ok but i couldn't keep it registered under as a Harly as the vin wasn't a Harley vin. It was a Penn vin. Because of that i had to reregister her as a 2015 custom bike. Nice bike, but i wound up selling it because i never found the time to ride her.

Yea Willie, two handfuls of years ago (see pic below, do they still print these?) I had a sketchy FL title that FL wouldn't register. Found a place in Hemmings News in Alabama that would register it (for a small fee) and then I got it registered in FL 😲

image.thumb.png.d655e5ebc2121a0e88874d33413df47b.png

Yea but this is New York, Mark!!!   You don't get to breath unless you pay here!!! I would bet if that person is still doing it, he can't do it in NY!!  Glad you were able to but up here there is so much red tape it screws it up.   ☺️

• Like 2

When my brother built his 26 Ford he built everything but the body himself and it was a race car fiberglass body so if he registered that way in 2007 when he finished it it would have to be registered as a custom 2007 with all emissions regulations for that year. So he made up a Vin and a Vin plate and went to dmv and registered it as a 26. They ran the Vin through data base came up clean so he registered it. Hasn't had a problem since. I'm sure it's different for that old a car.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

When my brother built his 26 Ford he built everything but the body himself and it was a race car fiberglass body so if he registered that way in 2007 when he finished it it would have to be registered as a custom 2007 with all emissions regulations for that year. So he made up a Vin and a Vin plate and went to dmv and registered it as a 26. They ran the Vin through data base came up clean so he registered it. Hasn't had a problem since. I'm sure it's different for that old a car.

Hey Steve just for the heck of it, how long did your brother own the 26 Ford before he tried to register it?

1 hour ago, willie said:

Hey Steve just for the heck of it, how long did your brother own the 26 Ford before he tried to register it?

There was never actually a car he built everything except the body (which never had a vin) he built the frame which is where the Vin tag was back then. The 27 he is doing now is same thing he built the complete frame so probably have to do same thing. Here's the frame he built for the 27. The 26 is all tubular stainless steel. 

IMG_20240322_181502362.jpg

• Like 1

Willie from what I understand anything older than 10 years old and not registered and never been stolen or major components stolen is considered history.  It used to be that way it may be different now with the computer technology. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Willie from what I understand anything older than 10 years old and not registered and never been stolen or major components stolen is considered history.  It used to be that way it may be different now with the computer technology. 

This is exactly why i asked you Steve. I heard one of the DMV people talking to her coworker in reference to registering one of my cars.

• Like 1

I know I’m a non-dues paying member so I will be taken less seriously but this entire topic needs to be deleted. Have any of you even got caught up with VIN issues? VIN tampering or VIN fraud? I have, It’s all fun and dandy till it’s not..  unless you are a mostly peaceful protester or an inspiring rapper driving an Altima you guys should not be talking about VIN numbers. 

8 hours ago, Steve G said:

I know I’m a non-dues paying member so I will be taken less seriously but this entire topic needs to be deleted. Have any of you even got caught up with VIN issues? VIN tampering or VIN fraud? I have, It’s all fun and dandy till it’s not..  unless you are a mostly peaceful protester or an inspiring rapper driving an Altima you guys should not be talking about VIN numbers. 

Opinions always matter, member or non- member. That’s why we are here. 

• Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 2:56 PM, Scott S. said:

Yes we did, and since then, I've done a title search using both the "B" and "F" versions of the VIN. Strangely, they both come back as the same car.... Colour, vinyl top, interior, drive train..... 

The VIN tag does not indicate Color, Vinyl Top, Interior or drive train so it can't be compared to determine matching body and vin tags..  The real key is the VIN indicating Flint and the body tag showing Baltimore.

rob 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve G said:

It makes no difference if you are a dues paying member or not, your comments are taken the same.  As far as deleting the entire thread, I am not sure why.  Nobody is saying to do anything that is not legal.  As a matter of fact the post about the guy will make you a VIN tag indicated that person will not even touch it without seeing a clear title for the car.  Unless I am missing something I did not see anything that was of concern.

rob

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Steve G said:

Hey Steve, all opinions are welcome.

I had a friend years ago that lost his newly purchased car because it had been stolen in another province and shuffled through the system. It took about a month after he bought it (privately) for the paperwork to catch up, and when it did, all he could do was say goodbye to both the car and the money he spent. That's why I'm curious as to my situation...  

• Like 4

To me, this is a pretty important topic. The more you know about it the better. It doesn’t really matter what your classic vehicle preference, the hobby aint cheap. As values increase, so does fraud. As they say, knowledge is power. Why not become more informed to help protect yourself from becoming a victim. I’m sure the hard core collectors hire someone to verify that 2 million dollar Hemi convertible or ZL1 or L88 Vette before purchasing. It’s really a shame to see someone lose their hard earned money to fraud, or find out that what they purchased is really worth less than half what they paid because it isn’t what it was promoted as being. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

To me, this is a pretty important topic. The more you know about it the better. It doesn’t really matter what your classic vehicle preference, the hobby aint cheap. As values increase, so does fraud. As they say, knowledge is power. Why not become more informed to help protect yourself from becoming a victim. I’m sure the hard core collectors hire someone to verify that 2 million dollar Hemi convertible or ZL1 or L88 Vette before purchasing. It’s really a shame to see someone lose their hard earned money to fraud, or find out that what they purchased is really worth less than half what they paid because it isn’t what it was promoted as being. 

It’s very important to all of us. Nobody wants a vin issue. Especially when purchasing a car. Verifying documentation is not easy with the technology out there to create fraudulent paperwork. Due diligence is key and ask people that knows a lot of questions. 

• Like 6