8 AWG wire

On my 1970 Monte when I hit the brakes the lights momentarily dim. I’ve noticed that on other cars that I have owned from the 1970s. The alternator is new a 63 amp alternator rewired for internal regulator. Also, all of the grounds are good. I have braided wire from the engine to the firewall in two places, the firewall to the frame in two places, and the radiator support to the frame. My question and wondering what your thoughts are on this. I was thinking of replacing the wire from the positive terminal to the terminal block, the alternator to the four splice, and the terminal block to the four splice connection with 8 gauge wire. I’m thinking larger gauge wire more capacity. I thought years ago, I read a post where someone did this  You think that might help? 
John S

Is everything else on the car basically stock, no EFI, electric fuel pump, large stereo system, etc?, 

Typically it's a 10 gage wire from the factory, with fusible links in there at places, which are usually 4 sizes smaller (resulting in a 14 gage wire, in effect).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Is everything else on the car basically stock, no EFI, electric fuel pump, large stereo system, etc?, 

Typically it's a 10 gage wire from the factory, with fusible links in there at places, which are usually 4 sizes smaller (resulting in a 14 gage wire, in effect).

Everything is stock I want to upgrade the stereo. I put a new positive battery cable on. Don’t know if those wires or fusible links that are on there are reliable. I do know that 10 gauge wire requires 14 gauge fusible link. Thomas (MC 1 of 80) told me in a post That he usually replaces that wire off the positive cable with a direct wire since he says he’s had problems with them. I’m always looking to improve things. Sometimes I do the unnecessary, but it keeps me busy. I’m always trying to build a better mouse trap as long as it doesn’t turn into trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 3

Way overboard question but does or did you vehicle ever have a trailer wire harness added?

I have seen what it can do to the lights....

Another question, do all the brake light / turn signals work and are all the same brightness?

I saw a guy used an 1156 bulb where an 1157 dual filament bulb was needed. This caused some big problems. 

Totally off subject but fun story, I think. A customer pulled in to the Ford dealership where I was a service advisor with a pick up saying his brake lights keep blowing fuses. I took a look and he did have a trailer harness with a plug in, covered, connector. The cover was open and the socket was packed full of SNOW!!! Good times back in 1973. 

• Like 3

No, it doesn’t have a trailer harness. Sometimes I try to apply More’s law too many times if enough is good, more is better and too much is just about right. My 2006 Monte has larger gauge wires coming off the alternator and for power feeds. Of course there’s more draw on a newer car, higher amperage and other things. The wiring harness is original on my 1970 was just thinking about upgrading a couple of the power wires and if I did, I thought I would go up one gauge wire size. I didn’t know if it would be worthwhile to do it or not.

Depends on the quality of your 50 year old wires too. If they're internally corroded, that would lead to higher resistance etc. 

It wouldn't hurt to increase the wire size as you're considering,  but you may be disappointed if the results don't help as much as you're hoping.

• Like 1

I swear...FB is always listening and watching. We're talking electrical,  and this just popped up on there...😄

FB_IMG_1711383471279.jpg

This popped up right after it...this is getting scary now 🤨

"Breaker Finder"  😄

Screenshot_20240325_122900_Facebook.jpg

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I swear...FB is always listening and watching. We're talking electrical,  and this just popped up on there...😄

FB_IMG_1711383471279.jpg

"Breaker Finder"  😄

Well, it will work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jft69z said:

FB_IMG_1711383471279.jpg

"Breaker Finder"  😄

Most everyone knows what I do for my job. Believe it or not this is not an uncommon thing. A guy tried to warranty a battery because the terminal was crushed into the case. He told the dealer the cable wouldn’t fit so he was hitting it with a hammer to get it on. The plastic cover was still on the terminal. Some people. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Not sure about 71 and 72 but the 70 ca.e from the factory with a wire that was part of the negative battery cable clamp that attached to a hole in the passenger fender.  One time I had an issue of flickering and dimming lights.  I found that wire to be broken and after I repaired that wire my flicker and dimming disappeared. 

rob

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Not sure about 71 and 72 but the 70 ca.e from the factory with a wire that was part of the negative battery cable clamp that attached to a hole in the passenger fender.  One time I had an issue of flickering and dimming lights.  I found that wire to be broken and after I repaired that wire my flicker and dimming disappeared. 

rob

Already checked that out it’s OK but yes that can cause problems.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dtret said:

Most everyone knows what I do for my job. Believe it or not this is not an uncommon thing. A guy tried to warranty a battery because the terminal was crushed into the case. He told the dealer the cable wouldn’t fit so he was hitting it with a hammer to get it on. The plastic cover was still on the terminal. Some people. 

They live amongst us and they are multiplying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/25/2024 at 10:19 AM, jft69z said:

FB_IMG_1711383471279.jpg

"Breaker Finder"  😄

Don't laugh..... I've actually had to defer to this method a couple times to figure out what powered what in my house. I guess the electricians who did the original wiring had a sense of humour ???

20 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Don't laugh..... I've actually had to defer to this method a couple times to figure out what powered what in my house. I guess the electricians who did the original wiring had a sense of humour ???

Or they were trying to split the load on a circuit to different rooms (example: rooms with a common interior wall between them may share outlets, etc). If you put one complete room on a breaker, there's a better chance of popping it maybe. It does make it harder to find the right breaker though. I made a map of my house with all the circuits, outlets, switches, and what breaker they were tied to fairly soon after I moved in, as we did some rewiring, added 3-way switches, added some circuits. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jft69z said:

Or they were trying to split the load on a circuit to different rooms (example: rooms with a common interior wall between them may share outlets, etc). If you put one complete room on a breaker, there's a better chance of popping it maybe. It does make it harder to find the right breaker though. I made a map of my house with all the circuits, outlets, switches, and what breaker they were tied to fairly soon after I moved in, as we did some rewiring, added 3-way switches, added some circuits. 

Same here..... 

I guess that makes sense, but sharing a breaker between the kitchen and the basement bathroom was a bit of a head scratch. :confused5:

1 hour ago, Marks71 said:

Joes post on the circuit IQ got me searching. Picked this up yesterday.

Cheater, 😁...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL I was always afraid of getting one of those tools Mark, as i am not sure if i want to know the answer!!  LOl   if it hasn't burnt down in 40 years, it will be fine is my guess!!! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take the outlet cover off , short the screws on the side, recover and go find out what doesn’t work. I used that method for years. Hmmm. Does explain a few things?!?  lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You should have seen me 2 weeks ago. To get clearance for a shock / strut I had a 4 ' pry bar ( MAC of course) and (2) 90 lb tractor weights hanging on the end of it. I was thinking about if someone came across me about 5 ' from the truck I was working on, What was he thinking😃😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had those experiences.... LOL

When I was about 3 years old, I discovered my uncle's uninsulated cutting pliers...... So while sitting on a floor vent, I proceeded to cut the cord to his radio. They found me on the other side of the room, a** smoking..... 

Guess it was pretty funny at the time.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2