1970 454SS need help

Robarmelas454SS

Hello everyone, Im new to this site I hope someone here can help me with my dilemma.

I just purchased a real nice project, it's a number matching 70SS 454 with the build sheet

My problem is the motor was out of the car everything was in boxes a few parts were missing but all the key items were all there. The self leveling tank was in the box I dont know were it mounts, also the rodchester carb throttle cable braket is missing Im trying to find a vacume hose diagram. If anyone has detailed pictures of their 454 motor compartment I would love to see them please help

Al

Thanks guys I will post pics soon,Im trying to get it started, I notice the kid who had it put the distributor in wrong the timing was way off,got the timing right now trying to run the vacuum lines to the proper place but I don't have a diagram to go by

Hey Al, welcome to the club and all the Madness and help that goes with it.....Dont forget the pics and to Anti-up on a membership as it has its benifits and loads of cool stuff to get involved in......

Bear with me here Al as I will try to up load some info for you...

Plus does your 70 SS have Air Cond as that will help get the right hose diagramme that you seek or is it a non AC 454.???

Darren.

001-5.jpg

Pic # 1 air ride pump....

002-2.jpg

Pic # 2 air ride rear end details..

003.jpg

Pic # 3

very nice motor compartment this is what I'm trying to accomplish.

anyone know what the correct fan is for the 454 I found three in my part boxes Im also missing the fan clutch I'm assuming these cars had the clutch.Also in the boxes were two rochester quadrajet carburetor how would I identify the correct one.

Hey Al , here is one of the AC stuff under the hood....

Bare in mind in the picture the firewall does end right behing the AC houseing unit...GM just did a cut-away veiw of the underside of the interior dash here so you can see the vents too.....If you need the Dash diagram too let me know I have that also and its really detailed and LOTS of hoses...

Darren.

acdash.jpg

ACcomp.jpg

anyone know what was size was the original fan and how many blades for the 454 with AC ,Also how do I identify the correct carburetor?here is a list of what came with this car I found 2 Quadrajet carbs, 2

edelbrock carbs, 3 fan blades, 3 sets of BB valve covers 3 air cleaners,2 alternators, 2 complete 454 Motors the original motor is on my engine stand. Also a bunch of miscellaneous parts.Im trying to figure out whats what .

I believe my stock fan is 7 blades and it does have a clutch.

I can get a number off of the carb when I get home from work if

you like. It is a quadrajet, not sure on the #

Hey Al, Jake is right it is a 7 Blade and is suppose to look like this in the picture with the clutch as well, My part number ends in 772 and it is 17-7/8ths across or 18 inches for all intense purposes I guess....

2012006.jpg

mrgobi007.jpg

and also as well Aaron related to the Carbs. it will denote the date as he mentioned and where to find the numbers...It will also let you know in the numbers if it is for a Automatic Car or a 4spd Car too...on the right hand side on the Back Flank by the throttle linkage there sideways...this is the one out of my 454 car..

Darren.

The two quadrajets used on 1970 SS454's were 7040200 and 7040500.

The only difference being where the car was built. Since emissions started in California in 1970 and then spread to rest of country in 1971, any car built in Van Nuys plant had a different Carburetor than the rest of the country due to emissions.

7040500 was the Rochester Quadrajet code for a Van Nuys built car

7040200 was the code for the rest of the country.

Hope this helps. They are very difficult to find b/c number is specific to a 454 in a Monte. If you need one this guy is likely your best bet. He had both in multiple date codes when I got mine a few years ago.

Mark @ Specialized Investments 830-550-1205. He advertises in Hemmings

If the car was origionally sold in California or you have a charcoal canister, or signs one was mounted to the left front frame rail, you will have a few extra vacuum hoses that most SS Montes didn't have. It's all part of the California emissions set up.