I broke it....

CrazyDavey

well my weekend kind of had a rough ending...on the second pass yesterday it broke....I know the rear gears are gone, I hope that's all..it launched...spun a little...hooked and then boom....they only had 400 passes on them too eek, the downside of too much power...I drained the fluid and it's rather chunky...

On the good side the first pass...I decided I was going to use it to get some heat in the motor..I'd make a full pass and then lift at the 1000' to try and keep it in the 10's...on that second pass I was going to let her hunt and then get yelled at and slow it back down....

That first pass felt really, really good, it was just flying, hard to lift but I did just before the 1000' marker....

1.37 60' (a little spin)...330 3.96.....660 6.17 @ 110.47...1000' 8.12 lifting before it....1320 10.01 @ 112.05...

here's the in car....using the conversion factor I devleoped for my car it would have been a 9.75 run and 137+....I've got to get my license.... wink

th_100_6513.jpg

Bummer Dave! frown

Hope ya didn't trash anything else. Whose gear set were ya using?

David

the standard Richmond's Dave....they don't make a Pro Gear in a 3:73...

Bill, no thank goodness.....first thing I did was rev the motor...

6.16 1/8 mile, I don't know about anyone else, but that is flying!!! I see times like that from Drag Only gutted Camaros and Novas at my local track.

This is very impressive.

When I saw this post I thought "that does not sound good". I was relieved that it was JUST the rear. Sucks but hopefully fixable. I figure you were leaving off the trans brake. What RPM were you leaving at? I need to know where not to be!

You broke it alright! Man if not bad luck what then? You've been riding her hard.. Now my only question?? Is it beside you to use something in the way of another rear-end... Hm! I hate to say the name but it rhymes with turd. lol I know you must have another option..or something with a bulletproof reputation. School us ol wise one. grin Please!

That stinks Davey but I guess, like ya said, these things happen when you're gettin after it. Hey, since people always like spending other peoples money whistle I know a great place that sells beautiful, tough rear ends, Mark Williams Enterprises. Here is a pic of one of their modular 4 link GM 12 bolt rears(one of my favs). I believe it is a mere $7500.00 crazy. They do sell normal size, top notch rears as well. 12boltGMrear.jpg

Thanks for the cool vid. I'm sure you've got this under control and will be back at in no time. Good luck with the rear repair or new install, whichever occurs. - Dave

yeah $7500 is a little rich for my blood....oh that's right.....I don't have any blood....I sold it.... eek

Everything in the current 12 bolt is pretty srong except for the gears (it's all Moser 35 spline stuff), I knew that was going to be the weak link. The Pro Gears start at 4:11 and that's too much gear so until I can afford something totally different like a Ferd I'll just have to hope these can hold up for a while. I did get close to 400 passes out of these but that was with a little less power and foot braking...I have to tone down the launch a bit I guess....

Bummer dude. Who makes Pro Gears? What ratio are you running? If it's lower than 3.73 you are probably right that unless you switch to a 9" Ford your gonna break series three carriers/gears. Until you are ready maybe build up another 12 bolt that you can just swap in when the other blows up. I'd hate to see you let up on the launch it's a beautiful thing to watch.

thanks Greg..yeah the Pro Gears start at 4:11's which is too low for me, I need 3:73's....Richmond and Motive are the two most popular Pro Gears..everyone else uses those under their own names....

Davey, throw another set of Richmonds in it and change them out on your 200th pass. The odd thing is I have around 1200 passes on my 3.73 geared 10 bolt and have never had a gear failure. Axles, yes, but after a set of Strange axles, never an issue. All my non spinning 60s have been 1.60 or quicker. The gears are are GM used out of a 79 Z29 I bought at the boneyard fifteen years ago.

But....

Only a dozen or so transbrake launches. I do see a Dana or a 9 inch in your future. 9 inch most likely. The Dana will cost you a tenth due to pure weight.

thanks Andy, that's what I'm going to do for now and I agree on the 9". Best reason for the 9" is you can get a Pro Gear in a 3:75. I'll tone down my launches for now as well, I think what really got it was the spin hook thing that was going on with the track. Amazingly even with the spin hook that first pass was a 1.37, I think this thing might go low 30's now. Turns out you were pretty spot on with your 9.70 prediction, that first pass converted to a 9.75.... wink

thanks Andy, that's what I'm going to do for now and I agree on the 9". Best reason for the 9" is you can get a Pro Gear in a 3:75. I'll tone down my launches for now as well, I think what really got it was the spin hook thing that was going on with the track. Amazingly even with the spin hook that first pass was a 1.37, I think this thing might go low 30's now. Turns out you were pretty spot on with your 9.70 prediction, that first pass converted to a 9.75.... wink

Congrats on the "Freshening Up" of your mill! I feel your pain on the just too much HP thing. We all love to make the cars just a little bit faster but soon realize that now it's time to upgrade the weaker links. Gotta love the Ford 9". Continued success on your endeavors and be safe.