2012 Western Meet Photos

Canuck

As usual, we had another great Western Meet in Carson City, NV with 10 members in attendance. I enjoyed my 1,900 miles of driving and it was fun to travel with a few members. My odometer rolled over to all zeros for the first time so it was a cool milestone.

Jay, Doug, Matt and I left Bend, OR for Carson City, NV Thursday morning but did not get far before discovering Doug's leaking water pump gasket. We got it fixed by lunch and continued on our way. We arrived in Carson City late in the evening.

On Friday we cruised to the historic mining town of Virginia City and attended a small car show in the evening.

Mills Park was an excellent setting for the car show Saturday. There were plenty of trees for shade and there was also a train that toured around the park.

The poker run on Sunday took us through several golf courses in the area with some nice views along the way. We all had terrible poker hands but it was still a nice cruise. At the event awards ceremony, I received the Endless Ride (long distance) and Jay received the Best Black Beauty award. Jay had some sort of carb/fuel issue during staging at the awards and we eventually got his trailer and pushed it in.

We had a BBQ at Cameron's house in Reno and presented the FGMCC awards and door prizes.

The FGMCC awards were presented as follows:

Best Interior - Cameron's 71 Monte

Best Paint - Roger - 71 Monte

Best Engine - Roger - 71 Monte

Best Stock - Aaron - 70 Monte

Best Modified - Roger - 71 Monte

Best Non-restored - Rodney - 70 Monte

Meet Director's Choice - Bob - 70 Monte

Long Distance - Aaron - 70 Monte (950 miles)

Hard Luck - Doug - 72 Monte (Water Pump)

Heading home on Monday, Matt's fuel pump quit while in Crater Lake State Park. He stayed the night in Crater Lake and fixed it the next morning.

If anyone is curious where the 2013 Western Meet will be, see my post here:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=381618#Post381618

Here are a few photos:

0106.JPG

Parked at Maryhill State Park along the Columbia Gorge during my drive.

0173.JPG

Doug, Matt, Aaron and Jay's cars parked at Jay's house

0263.JPG

Matt, Jay and Doug working on replacing Doug's water pump gaskets

098.JPG

Parked at the hotel

133.JPG

Walking through Virginia City

1431.JPG

Parked in Virginia City

153.JPG

Parked at the Carson Nugget for a small show

159.JPG

Bob, Cameron and Roger

More photos to come!

210.JPG

Bob, Roger, Mark, Steve

Cameron, Jay, Aaron, Matt, Doug

214.JPG

Train in the park

200.JPG

Montes in the park

216.JPG

Montes in the park

2211.JPG

At the hotel:

Mark, Matt, Doug, Jay, Bob, Aaron, Roger, Cameron

2262.JPG

Steve's 71

163.JPG

Roger's engine. Note the billet hood hinges.

Still more to come

231.JPG

Poker run

246.JPG

Poker run

262.JPG

Jay during the poker run

263.JPG

Doug during the poker run

274.JPG

Jay with his Best Black Beauty award

2761.JPG

BBQ at Cameron's house. Can't ask for a more perfect setting.

299.JPG

Mine and Doug's at Crater Lake

309.JPG

Old gas pumps I found along the drive home.

Beautiful,

The water pump thing bringd back memories for me... smile

Quite a garage, that Cameron has there! shock

is the 58 impala for sale or trade??????

Considering Cameron's Grandmother purchased it new, I'd say that's doubtful.

Looks like you all had fun('cept for the minoe issues). Great photos thank you much for sharing. As someone here mentioned, that one heck of a garage.

I think the fuel issues we had were a combination of heat, elevation (Virginia City was 6200 ft) and bad gas. My car was not running its best either.

I saw Rogers and thought it was mine for a sec smile Great pictures thanks for getting them up so fast!

It was pretty darn fun. We had a brief but exciting thunderstorm move through on Saturday night, but it was over in about 20 minutes. It was just enough to cool down the air and give new life to the evening.

This time at the meet, I played the part of Dave Mau who couldn't be there: I stepped in as the guy with the invisible car. laugh

Beautiful,

The water pump thing bringd back memories for me... smile

Quite a garage, that Cameron has there! shock

Yeah really...Lucky yall found a parts store open that late that night. All good memories though!

Cameron has some beautiful rides, and a very nice Garage!!!

The FGMCC awards were presented as follows:

Best Interior - Cameron's 71 Monte

Best Paint - Roger - 71 Monte

Best Engine - Roger - 71 Monte

Best Stock - Aaron - 70 Monte

Best Modified - Roger - 71 Monte

Best Non-restored - Rodney - 70 Monte

Meet Director's Choice - Bob - 70 Monte

Long Distance - Aaron - 70 Monte (950 miles)

Hard Luck - Doug - 72 Monte (Water Pump)

Hard Luck Award? confused

No problems driving from Portland to Bend. Should have been a Good Luck Award. Identified leak while refueling about 35 miles from Bend where we left from. Drove about 3 blocks to a Napa Store where everything needed was bought. With 4 able bodied men, made the repair in a spacious parking lot and wal la, ready to roll again! wink

Now I ask you, does this sound like bad luck? Consider about another 5 miles we were turning on a very long long long stretch of highway where the only life seen were the bugs hitting the windshield. A failure on that stretch of road would be bad luck! shock

I personally look at it like Divine Providence but noooooo, Aaron would have none of it. crazy

So, whose with me here?

Is Aaron correct in his assessment? confused

or!

Has my sweet blush unassuming wink disposition opened me up to this unprovoked brutal attack? eek

I really hate to bring up dirty laundry but I think it's time to put Aaron in his place kickingkickingkicking

Sorry Aaron but no good deed goes unpunished! lol The World needs to know! grin

Doug

Glad to hear it happened where it did then Doug, that really could have earned that award if it failed at a different time.

Beautiful scenery and looks like a great show. Even the hotel looks like a nice place to park

It was a GREAT trip with some equally GREAT people going to, during & driving back home Tony.

We did have a member pulling his car in his trailer so it wouldn't have been quite so catastrophic going to. On the trip home would have been a different matter.

If it had to happen, it was a good place!

Just felt a little goofy yesterday & Aaron got the benefit of some good ribbing! Watching Aaron & Matt spar back and forth during the Meet compelled me to chime in! kicking

Doug

LOL - a good ribbing time indeed!!!!

Actually, this photo pretty much sums up Doug's reaction to receiving the award this year:

7767070206_e3a7f6fc3a_z.jpg

Such a perfect facial expression for that award. kickingkicking

It couldn't have went to a nicer guy...

Hey Matt,

Thanks for sharing! mad

Are there no boundries left? shock

Think I better cool off with a cold beer.

As I remember, my car was the coolest one in attendance! Right? cool

I owe you one buddy! kicking

And did ya notice how the camera makes you look 50 pounds heavier? nutz

Doug

As I remember, my car was the coolest one in attendance! Right? cool

Yes indeed!! Scientifically proven to be 20 degrees cooler inside in the sun cool

Measuring the heat difference was amazing... I may actually go WHITE in the future... I am a changed man.