Glass cleaning / Polishing ?

snomobeelr

I used to use brass wool, any fibers that come off the steel wool will rust, imagine little rust hair stains all over your stainless cowl cover. Polishing it can't hurt I would take a buffer with compound to it but it sounds like it may be too far gone

Prior to using the OOOO steel wool, which works wonders and doesn't really fragment into fiber slivers all over the place as you would think. I used to use Bon Ami soap & old fashion newspaper which worked fine. The Bon Ami soap got harder and harder to find.. it was like a cleanser for your windows and it came in a bar of soap. Though I haven't seen it in a soap bar in a while? For those of you that are old fogies and born in the 20th century you might remember this product. lol

3623_0b9d4.jpg

Hey Guys, I forgot to mention all the glass is out of the car. Cant remember if I had tryed the steel wool. I had always used newspaper. Not that it is going in soon, but I do not want to put the glass back in if I cant get the glass clean... Rod I didnt see your procedure. That picture shows blank?? So what should I try ? Would it be better to get a buffer and try to polish / buff out the glass?

Thanks Guys

The problem is that some of the waterspot is a buildup of calcium deposits, and part is an etching from acids in the water.

I've had pretty good luck using a single-edge razor blade and water to shave off the calcium that is stuck to the surface of the glass...but you risk scratching the glass this way. There is a product called "Barkeepers Friend" that works wonders. It is similar to a can of cleanser and is used in the same way, but forms a mild acid when mixed with water. It is aproved for use on glass cooktops. The collectors of antique glass bottles and insulators swear by the stuff. I have used it with a magic eraser, and it works great.

I didn't find it at my local Wal-Mart, but the grocery store had it. I think home depot has it also.

200px-BarKeepersFriend.jpg