I hope -I think I have an TRUE '71 SS!!!!!

Capri's 71 SS

I have been reading all these posts for the past week and I believe (at least I sure hope so!) that my sweet husband just brought me home a 1971 Triple Black SS!! I am beyond thrilled.

I had a 72 Monte Carlo way back in the early 80's in high school. It was just a daily driver but I loved it to pieces. It has remained one of my all time favorite cars.

Tonight my husband came home with this one and so far it is seeming to appear to be a REAL SS. It is still on the trailer and it is 10pm but I made him take out the back seat to look for the build sheet....but no luck....gotta keep looking & keep our fingers crossed. He is a car buff so he knows his stuff so he'll continue to search once it is off the trailer. Everything appeared original when he took the seat out except for one washer and it looked like maybe a speaker had been changed. The floors are beautiful! The chrome is all gorgeous & mint. The numbers do match the engine block & the vin tag, it does have the original bill of sale but it is VERY vague with very little info, it has the rear stabilizer, the emblems, the international symbols for the radio, headlights & lighter..........I need to download the pics so I can post a link for the scrutiny of this very knowledgeable club (that I just joined tonight!).......I am so psyched and I cannot wait to drive it (when the snow decides to leave!) LOL! I look forward to the knowledge that I am sure so many of you will be sharing with me. This car is just way too pretty & sounds great! It needs the interior to be cleaned up a bit but the seats look great - it is awesome - it felt so good to just jump in & sit behind the wheel & start her up. I am hoping we got lucky & found ourselves a real steal & a total gem!!

Great group - love the comraderie & honesty I have spent so much time reading.

EDIT: OK, I got the original pics & the pics of it coming home. Gives you an idea - I cannot wait until we can take some good photos ourselves.....honestly, the pictures do not do it justice at all. Hope this link works!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohiogreg4970/album/576460762394015122

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, looks like the real McCoy! Welcome aboard and good luck with it. Have you got a name for her mine is chiquita, for obvious reasons.

Rod

fgmcc

Welcome to the site, nice car...love the color.

I'm from the Cleveland area, do you plan on taking it to the local shows?

I'll be looking for your car this Spring on the roads... cool

Bill

looks like a great car, the only thing I don't see is the rubber pad that goes across the rear bumper, but that does not mean anything, see if it has the shock protectors at the bottom of the rear shocks wink

Thanks for the big warm welcome! I am still so excited today about this MC sitting in the garage! Greg (my husband) will take it for the out of state inspection on Monday then it can come off the trailer & the search for the build sheet will continue. I am so praying we find one. Greg tends to favor most every classic vehicle & antique vehicles but has most of his knowledge is in Corvettes & Pontiacs. He restored a 1972 Pontiac LeMans with the factory endura front end for his mom about 13 years ago. It did very well in the local shows. Cars are his life & his hobby (after me & our boys, of course!). He was never a MC fan but he is in love with this one. Perhaps, I am finally converting him!

Tony: Thanks for posting one of the pics for me!

Savvarock: Actually, my husband traded a vette for this MC and the guy had it for 20 years and it was shown & taken many awards before it was garaged. The guy did tell us repeatedly it was a real SS but with all the controversy over fakes -vs- real we weren't getting our hopes up. Which is how I found this site & began all my research. We love it whether it is an SS or not but it sure is appearing to be an SS. I would feel so much better if we locate a build sheet on it.

70BlackChevy: Funny, we were talking about the tires at midnight last night! He wants to do 8" wheels with white letters to "beef it up" and give it the "mean" look. I am feeling it should have the original 7" wheels and thin white wall tires.....I feel if it is so original we should keep it that way. Not sure what we will decide just yet.

Bill: Greetings neighbor! We came from Parma but are currently in Brunswick Hills. I do plan to take this out this Spring/Summer. Guess I am going to have to find out where the Chevy Shows are at, huh? Please let me know!

We were even talking late last night about taking it to Indiana for the FGMC Meet in the summer. Problem is we have a 2 yr old & a 4 yr old so we'ld have to trailer it for the 5 hour drive and then be sure we could put carseats in the back to drive it around......not sure what others with small children do - this is new terrain. Plus I don't think my 4 year old would appreciate how loud it is sitting in the backseat, ya know?

QUESTION(S):

1) We were looking at an SS on ebay that we found thru reading this forum that is REAL and the guy was talking about "hockey sticks" in his ad ----what are they & where would they be and are they suppose to be there?

2) Is the SS rear end suppose to be 10 bolt or 12 bolt? Same guy had a 10 bolt on his but I thought I read somewhere in this forum it was a 12 bolt....

3) So, tell me who is Leo that everyone gives such accalades to? Sounds like quite the MC Expert.

3) So, tell me who is Leo that everyone gives such accalades to? Sounds like quite the MC Expert.

He goes by KLASSIK1 on this site if you want to look for his posts.

Here's a link to his web page... http://www.koniksklassiks.com/

He's listed under parts sources which is under Resources on the FGMCC Home Page... wink

Welcome! smile

...not sure what others with small children do - this is new terrain.

Well our kid is not as old as yours but we are planning on taking our daughter on a 900 mile (each way) road trip in the Monte for the Western Meet. She will be 5 months old at that time. We will likely have the car seat in the centre of the front bench seat but we're still working out the details. smile

Bill: Greetings neighbor! We came from Parma but are currently in Brunswick Hills. I do plan to take this out this Spring/Summer. Guess I am going to have to find out where the Chevy Shows are at, huh? Please let me know!

Right there in Brunswick, have you ever passed Laurel Square Plaza on a Saturday (3:00 P.M. to dark)? Hundreds and hundres of cars every week... smile

It's the spot in the middle of the photo...must not of been taken on a Saturday... laugh

img0777ty6.jpg

Bill, we are only a few minutes from Laurel Square so we have taken many a Saturday early evening stroll through there.....way back when we used to head out to the Kmart lot on 303 for their huge cruise.

Canuck: I so wish we had a 5 mo old to travel with - so much easier when they are not real mobile yet and just go with the flow!

No answers to my questions yet?

I found the new DVD players at Canadian Tire have a bracket that fits the fgmc headrests and plug it into he cigarette lighter, buy a pile a DVDs ........and you are all set

We got about a 1023 miles to go (each way) with a hyper 4 year old.

I can take a pic of the bracket installed for all of you USA fokes if you like to see what it looks like.

I call it the " DAD doesnt have to pull over the car relief". lol

Just remember fokes 10 hours of The Little Mermaid beats the heck outs "are we there yet"

lol

terry

Thanks for the big warm welcome! I am still so excited today about this MC sitting in the garage! Greg (my husband) will take it for the out of state inspection on Monday then it can come off the trailer & the search for the build sheet will continue. I am so praying we find one.

Before tearing the car apart looking for that coveted piece of paper, check the VIN number. If there is an "F" in the middle of the VIN number you can stop looking. The cars built in the Flint plant didn't have them. I should say that nobody here has ever found a Flint Built car with a build sheet.

Quote:
Originally posted by MyMonte:

70BlackChevy: Funny, we were talking about the tires at midnight last night! He wants to do 8" wheels with white letters to "beef it up" and give it the "mean" look. I am feeling it should have the original 7" wheels and thin white wall tires.....I feel if it is so original we should keep it that way. Not sure what we will decide just yet.

From the pictures, it looks like a very unmolested real thing I would keep it as original as possible and stay with the 7" rally's and go with the thin white wall. I like my raised white letter tires on mine but sometimes wish I had gone with the thin white wall tire.

a>

Quote:

We were even talking late last night about taking it to Indiana for the FGMC Meet in the summer. Problem is we have a 2 yr old & a 4 yr old so we'ld have to trailer it for the 5 hour drive and then be sure we could put carseats in the back to drive it around......not sure what others with small children do - this is new terrain. Plus I don't think my 4 year old would appreciate how loud it is sitting in the backseat, ya know?

The car seats will fit just fine in the back of the car. Espically at ages 2 and 4. That would mean they are forward facing car seats. A rear facing seat may have been a little bit of a problem once they are out of an infant seat but a forward facing seat should be fine. There were a number of little ones at the meet last year. We will be bringing our 10'X10' canopy and there will be others also so I if you don't have one I am sure you will be invited into the shade of someone elses. By all means, plan to be there, you can join the convoy. Some of us will be passing through Columbus a little before lunch time on Thursday on our way over to Indy and you could join in the convoy, even if the car is on the trailer.

Quote:

QUESTION(S):

1) We were looking at an SS on ebay that we found thru reading this forum that is REAL and the guy was talking about "hockey sticks" in his ad ----what are they & where would they be and are they suppose to be there?

2) Is the SS rear end suppose to be 10 bolt or 12 bolt? Same guy had a 10 bolt on his but I thought I read somewhere in this forum it was a 12 bolt....

Question 1.. The Hockey sticks he is talking about is the VERY HARD TO FIND chrome pieces on the 71 SS. On the 70 and 71 first Gen Monte's there was an anodized aluminum (chrome) strip just above the rear bumper along with two pot metal chrome pieces at each end of the aluminum. On the 71 SS the rear panel between the bumper and the trunk was painted matte black and had additional strips similar to the lower ones to separate this flat black painted area from the normal paint color. The two pieces at either side of the long aluminum pieces are now commonly refered to as hockey sticks because of their shape. If you look at this picture you will see them very well: a>

Question 2..

If I am not mistaken I think it could have been ordered with either of the rear ends but I don't want that to be taken as gospel so I will let someone else address that question.

Question 3..

Regarding Leo... They always say if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all... You will hear nothing but nice about Leo. He is a great guy and his livelyhood is these cars. He restorers them for people for a living. He is a great source for many of the hard to find parts and a great source for information you may not find here on the boards. I suggest the absolute first thing you do for any questions you have is to use the Search feature here on the boards and if you don't find what you want then ask the questions. There is a wealth of information here already and you don't need to read it all, but by using the search feature it will bring you the information as you need it.

Again, Welcome to the website and if you haven't joined the club, the $20 dues is a small price to pay.

Rob

Terry: We actually have the dual screen dvd player for my minivan and the screens attach via a velcro wrap around headrests.......My Monte is loud though as prev owner has glass paks on it so I still wonder about the long ride with the loudness. Also, putting in 2 5-point harness carseats in the back seat.....

Rob...the pic won't come up for the whole hockey stick explanation.......I only get the small red "x" in a box. I even right clicked it to "show picture" and nothing........

Kansas mfg plant not Flint so we'll continue to hunt for the build sheet.......

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to respond.....and for the offer to join the convoy - we are certainly giving it serious thought!!

I can't explain why they won't come up. I noticed that the one posted by Tony now has the red X also. It was a picture of the rear of your car from the link in your original post. Just open up that post and double click on the thumbnail of the rear of your car. the hockey sticks are the two pieces which go from the tail light chrome to the long aluminum piece on either side.

Rob