Heater Plumbing PICS for 71 SS

Banaro

HI, Can someone post PICs of the heater plumbing and Vacuum control valve for a 71 SS. I have just replaced the heater core, but no valve or pipes currently exist, interested in valve mounting and where the pipes go in to the engine.

Mine is actually a RHD converted car in Australia (1 of 4 71SS), but original LHD pics will be a good start.

Thanks

Banaro,

Welcome! WOW 1 of 4, WOW! RHD, WOW!

Sorry, Please post pictures some day!

A/C or NO A/C?

Here is a link to a mess of pictures I took of my 71 Small Block NO A/C when I replaced the heater core. Hope it helps. Sounds like it's an A/C car because there are no vacuum hoses on the NO A/C 71.

Bruce

71 small block NO A/C heater core replacement

Here are some PICS

I have 2 build sheets and the US sales invoice, delivered with most all options, RHD converted in Australia on arrival.

Note Right hand Drive

ausmonte1.JPG

Note Right hand Drive

ausmonte2.jpg

See Left hand mounted Aircon / heater box

ausmonte3.jpg

See Right hand steering box location

ausmonte4.jpg

Car PIC original White colour upper and lower

ausrhd71montecarloss454.jpg

The story I was told is that 12 x 1971 Monte Carlos came to Australia and were converted RHD in 1971, 4 of those were SS's.

Only 2 SS's are supposed to remain?

There could also be some more recent LHD imports here.

I have not seen another here yet, hence the request for pics of an original engine bay, nice to know where everything lives.

The battery has been remounted, but not a result of the RHD conversion, not sure where it is supposed to be, and what parts I need to return it to original.

The steering lines run down and across the front edge of the front cross member.

Wow, you don't realize how involved it is until you see it.

I bet with the AC compressor mounted it's a real bugger to change the plugs on that side.

...and where in the world would you find something like a new dash pad for that thing? Were Chevelles common in RHD?

I've seen other cars that were made from the begining to be fitted either RHD or LHD and they tend to use either linkages for the conversion like early Hondas, or a dash layout that is mirrored from side to side...but this Monte has a handful of specialized parts and the underhood layout is changed. Just amazing.

Nice! Imagine sitting and driving a Monte on the other side of the car, it seems awkward. Though it's unique I suppose. Owning and driving one here is the States would be wild, double the eyes. cool

Basically everything seems to have been reworked to fit on the other side, using mostly original parts.

With the heater box out I can see evidence of LHD in the firewall.

The heater box itself has been cut and shut and all put back together.

Left and Right interior kick panels have been modified plastic welded and recoloured

I have not had a close look at the dash pad, but suspect it was modified then recovered.

Steering gear is a normal unit (AGR now) moved into the chassis on the RH side with custom box bracket to mount it.

Drag link has been modified on the RH end to suit, RH side tierods have been curved to clear (only discovered all of this when I attempted to renew everything).

The previous owner restored the car 30 years ago and maintained it fairly well over the years, however discarded the Aircon compressor / hardware, and the ride leveling system at some stage.

img0201an.jpg

Wow! That is one amazing car to say the least. Welcome to our forum Juan, won't you join our ranks and become a dues paying member. It will be nice having you (officially) on-board with such a gem. Thanks for letting us gawk at that beauty from another perspective. The LHD to RHD conversion intrigues us all without a doubt, never mind that beauty being an "SS", which in my case would be the added bonus. cool