Painted grill and some trim

Canuck

I decided to repaint the black in my 72 grill as well as the tail light trim today.

The grill and trim drying in the sun after washing.

00111.JPG

You can see some of the original red paint on the horizontal bars on my tail light trim.

0027.JPG

After masking and painting

0064.JPG

After masking and painting the grill

0076.JPG

I repainted the red on the horizontal bars like the factory did.

0086.JPG

Here's the grill after painting. Looks a lot better than the faded original black.

0154.JPG

The tail light trim installed. Looks like I need to clean my bunper to body seals better, another day. I like the original look with just the vertical bar standing out. We'll see how long that red Testors model paint lasts, LOL.

0107.JPG

Little by little, I'm getting this car to where it should be. Now if only I had the budget to paint the whole car. grin

Hey Aaron, thats exactly what I did today too. Great day to paint a grille. Anyone thats ever done one of these knows how much freakin time this takes mad , what a pain in the butt.

I went to some extremes with mine, thought it would clean up nicer than it did, so I went all out.

I cut up 12 pack boxes to fiil the holes, thin but study cardboard.

IMG_20130608_114540_zpsf0f29eee.jpg

Nice mosaic pattern I got going on here lol

IMG_20130608_114552_zpsd11bdbc0.jpg

Sprayed same silver as my stripes from the backside

IMG_20130608_130940_zps4be81699.jpg

Flipped it & painted the park light recesses

IMG_20130608_134503_zps4878b5d7.jpg

Put the black on

IMG_20130608_144807_zps0e6fb55a.jpg

IMG_20130608_150308_zpsdbd99275.jpg

Decided to do the lower pedastals too

IMG_20130608_150837_zps87b3093a.jpg

Then came the BLING

IMG_20130609_005153_zpsca1b26b1.jpg

Nice work Cory. You are right, it does take time. After everything was dry from washing, I spent about 2 hours or so masking the grill and parts and about 15 minutes painting.

I only did the black in the grill so far. I have not done the silver part. I'm extremely tempted to do the inside edges of the grill in black instead of silver. Maybe today's project...

Are you guys using Argent Silver? That's the paint used on the rally wheels. I always use argent silver and Sems satin black.

I took my grill a step further today. Not sure if it will stay this way but looks cool. I might strip the paint off the front edge to expose the chrome and leave the inside of the grill black.

0048.JPG

0058.JPG

Looking good!

You can tinker with all kinds of different looks with the grille ...so many different looks. Different shades of silver even can alter the entire look of the car. Dark silver, bright silver, black, charcoal....but I vote for the chrome leading edges every time.

Great job with the grills!!

Funny thing is that I went to help Pat with his Monte on the weekend and my job was to mask off and paint his 72 grill. Must have been grill painting weekend. 2beers

• 1 month later...

After a period of time, i decided to strip the paint off the front edge of the grille. Looks much better I think.

Before:

0058.JPG

After:

0066.JPG

0165.JPG

The After picture does look way better Aaron the chrome just make's it POP.... It looks like your 72 went on the Jenny Craig Diet plan as well in the second picture as your rally wheels lost some weight and look slimmer almost as if they went from a 15x8 to a 15x7...... hahahahaha.

Darren.

Looks sweet Aaron. cool

You keep beatifying her, you will have to up the price! wink

I used a toothbrush recently to clean the Grates and tried to picture how it would look if I painted those grates black.

I likey!

Doug

The After picture does look way better Aaron the chrome just make's it POP.... It looks like your 72 went on the Jenny Craig Diet plan as well in the second picture as your rally wheels lost some weight and look slimmer almost as if they went from a 15x8 to a 15x7...... hahahahaha.

Darren.

Good eye Darren. I wanted to keep the 8 inch rallys so I put my set of 7 inch rallys from my 70 Monte on there. The 8 inch rallys are on my 70 Monte now.

Looks sweet Aaron. cool

You keep beatifying her, you will have to up the price! wink

I used a toothbrush recently to clean the Grates and tried to picture how it would look if I painted those grates black.

I likey!

Doug

Based on the great response I've had at $9k, I'm starting to think I should have asked more. I will be firm on the $9k price since it appears I will have no problem selling it at that price.

Looks great Aaron. Darren is right, the grille really pops now. smile

$9000 is a great price for that car. Based on what I've seen on Kijiji here in Ontario, I'd say $12,000 wouldn't be out of the question.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...QAdIdZ503372306

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1972-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-W0QQAdIdZ506493164

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1972-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-W0QQAdIdZ506938904